Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2006, 07:43 AM   #1

Okay, friends just picked up a 2001 F-150 with the back seats, 4X4 with a short box, they want to get a fifth wheel now.
Anybody have any idea what is the length they can pull, they thought they would like one like my used one, it is 18.5 feet, but they have two children, two adults, so may need more like a 20 foot or so.
Any ideas on this?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2006, 07:43 AM   #2

Okay, friends just picked up a 2001 F-150 with the back seats, 4X4 with a short box, they want to get a fifth wheel now.
Anybody have any idea what is the length they can pull, they thought they would like one like my used one, it is 18.5 feet, but they have two children, two adults, so may need more like a 20 foot or so.
Any ideas on this?
Old 07-13-2006, 10:47 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
I am assuming you are talking about a 6 1/2' bed. If they have the 4-door King Crew they have a 5 12' bed and a 5er is out of the question.

That said, length is the least part of the equation. Weight is what they need to be looking for. There are many discussion on the boards about tow ratings and how to figure it out. It all boils down to GVWR, GCWR and axle ratings of the F-150. I don't have the books in front of me right know, but trust me, it will be a small light weight 5er. This is acommon situation. Folks need to decide what trailer they want and then get the truck that can pull it.

Do a search for tow weights or how much can I tow. Basically the truck needs to be weighed fully loaded and ready to tow. That is full of fuel, cargo and passengers (and add about 100 #s for the hitch). Subtract that weight from the GVWR and that is the maximum amount of trailer tongue weight you can have. BUT. You also need to subtract the truck weight from the GCWR because that is the maximum weight trailer it can pull.

As far as GCWR, I always use the trailers GCWR because that is the theoretic maximum weight of the trailer. For GVWR, take the trailers pin weight and add 25% to allow for cargo in the trailer. That should be the pin weight to use.

For more info, do a search for member name Ken Lenger. His signature has a link (Toweing Weights an exercise in reality)to gret information and will tell you exactly how ot figure all of this out.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 11:54 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">they want to get a fifth wheel now </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

According to the 2001 Trailer Life Towing Guide, the 4x4 Ford Super Crew is only rated for conventional towing. There is no rating for fifth wheel towing, presumably because Ford doesn't rate it for that use.

I'd suggest that your friends abandon any plans to get a fifth wheel, maybe they could get a small conventional trailer that they'd be happy with.

Conventional tow ratings range from 5200# to 7700# depending on which engine, axle ratio, tire size, and rims (16" or 17") the truck is equipped with. As has been said before, any tow rating has to be reduced by weight carried in the truck that's over the 150# allowance made for the driver.

For 2 adults and 2 kids along with their stuff, your friends can whack off about another 500# from the tow ratings real quick. More if they want to haul anything in the bed.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:38 PM   #5

I see on page five there is a F-150 fifth wheel ratings.
Or am I reading it wrong?
It says with an automatic.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:54 PM   #6
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">see on page five there is a F-150 fifth wheel ratings.
Or am I reading it wrong?
It says with an automatic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It does list fifth wheel ratings for all the F150 cab configurations except the SuperCrew. The SuperCrew isn't the same as a SuperCab, they are two different trucks.

The SuperCrew isn't listed under the fifth wheel ratings section.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:10 PM   #7

Okay, I see what you are saying, I missed that distinction, happens when one gets older.
I will get in touch with them and share the info.
Thanks guys.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:03 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
If I remember correctly, the Super Crew has the 5 1/2' bed. Not even with a slider hitch could it pull a 5er.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:54 AM   #9

I beg to differ. I have a 2004 SuperCrew with the 5 1/2' bed. I have pulled our 2006 27.5 Jayco BHS over 2000 miles since I bought the trailer about 3 months ago.

I have the Super Glide 12K automatice slider hitch. I have turned and backed and pulled and done everthing short of jackknifing the thing and it works great.

The 2004+ F150's are rated easily at 9000lbs plus towing.

I have towed my trailer to many Texas State parks and several other campgrounds and I have seen 4 other F150's pulling 5th wheels.

The combination tows just fine, and I have averaged around 9.5 mpg while towing.

Am I pushing my truck? Not any more than a couple of cummins/powerstrokes pulling ungodly long 5th wheels that I have passed on what are considered good climbs here in Texas.

IF you recognize what you have and drive accordingly you will have no problem with the f-150 and a 5vr.

Ride safe,

Pablo
Superbee24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 09:58 PM   #10

hmmm,
id have to agree with Superbee
ive got a f-150 2004 supercrew, and pull a 23ft tahoe Glidelite about 5700lbs and it pulls fine for us
Old 07-18-2006, 04:56 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Well. If you are towing within the tow ratings of the F-150 then I stand corrected. I'm sitting in a campground and do not have access to my tow charts. Last I saw, Ford did not have 5er ratings for an F-150.

If you are not within the ratings of your tow vehicle, then I'll shut up. Nothing I'm going to say will matter anyway.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:13 AM   #12

K-star, Ford bumped up their 5.4 in 2004. They went with different 3-valve heads (300hp & 345 ft lbs torque ) and also did a complete redisign of the truck from the ground up. Including a thicker full square tubed frame ( according to Ford Propoganda ) the heaviest in the industry for 1/2 ton trucks.

The 2 wheel drives are rated at 9700lbs towing, the 4 wheel drives are rated at 9200lbs towing.

The 12K SuperGlide works perfect on these trucks. Their brochure shows a couple of 04 and up F150's with 5th wheels.

The only thing I added was the Timbren helper rubber springs. It towed fine on the first few trips but I read about the Timbrens and decided to add them. They make a nice difference in the ride on roads that are not perfectly smooth. (seen any of those roads ? )

Additionally, the Jay Flight that I pull is specifically made for 1/2 ton trucks. It is their "1/2 ton series" with a claimed dry weight of 6800lbs.

I would be crazy to pull anything larger that what I have. The sales man of course tried to talk me into a 30 ft 5vr which was still within the Fords tow rating, but it was too close for me especially once you add all of the wifes' accessories.......

Pablo
Superbee24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 06:01 AM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
I'm happy it works out for you. Sounds like you've done your homework.

BTW - if nobody has mentioned it yet, welcome to iRV2. As you can see, we do have thoughtful conversation without adversity. Stick around. Maybe we'll meet up at a rally one day (I'm at the National rally now).
Old 07-18-2006, 03:09 PM   #14

The following link may interest people into H-P & torque.
This company tests each vehicle stock and then again with the product they are trying to sell.
Graphs & numbers from a computerized chassis dynamometer.

http://www.hypertech-inc.com/dynocharts.php

http://www.hypertech-inc.com/dynocharts.php?cnt=15&rpp=...&model=all&make=FORD