Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2015, 09:25 AM   #1

Towing with F150

Now that I no long have my F350 better half would like to start camping again. Currently I have a 2012 F150 3.5L echoboost 3.55 rear end. Has 6.5 ft bed Platinum Supercrew with 4X4. Ford chart says maximum load trailer 9600 lbs. GCWR 15,500. I have no clue what type of trailer i can pull can you help. It does have factory installed trailer brakes. Thanks in advance.

David

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2015, 09:58 AM   #2

What can I tow? is the number one asked question here in the forums.

Just remember that the max, trailer weight is calculated with only a 150lb. driver in the truck, so the weight of every passenger , all cargo in the truck, and the hitch and bars, MUST, be deducted from that number.
JMHO: Limit your choices of trailers to those with a GVWR of 7,000 or under. Do not go shopping for trailer by the dry weight, because the only time they are truly dry is at the end of the assembly line.

EDIT: If you haven't read it already, go through the " Tow Vehicle Sizing & Trailer Weight Calculators " post that is at the top of the list in this forum.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:03 AM   #3

Thank you for your help. When I fianlly sold the diesel she said she was done camping. I wanted something to pull my boat which this does just fine. Work relocated me to St. Louis where we grew up and now she is pumped about camping again. We agreed that whatever we got had to be towable by current truck.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:31 AM   #4

Txdave, I have a similar truck and tow a 28' Jayco. Weighs 7050 from the factory, and 8300 loaded and weighed on the CAT scales. It pulls fine, and with just me and the wife we are well below the GCWR for the truck. We are close on payload when we bring the kids with us, but if we keep the extra stuff in the trailer and not the truck bed we are within the limits. If I were shopping again, I'd probably go a little lighter the trailer or a little bigger on the truck. But, it's a good combo and the ecoboost has no trouble towing. Enjoy!

Dan
2013 F150 4x4 Lariat Crew Cab Ecoboost
2013 Jayco Jayflight 28BHBE 28'
Old 06-11-2015, 10:45 AM   #5

In my experience and IMHO I want to tow comfortably so I would limit the weight to 6,000lbs. Remember your truck only weighs 5,500 lbs.

Sure you can tow more but as you go up in weight and size you go down in comfortable towing. Once on the highway passing or having semi's pass you the 1/2 ton truck will be affected more than a heavier truck.

Good luck
Old 06-11-2015, 10:46 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
It is quite simple to do the numbers to see where you stand.

Load up the truck with full fuel, all the stuff you will carry and go to a scale and weigh the truck. Front axle, back axle and total weight.

Take the back axle weight, add 100 lbs for a hitch and subtract that total from the GAWR (rear) on the spec sticker on the door. Take the difference in weight and divide by .20. That will give you an approximate weight of the GVWR of the trailer you should consider.

Take the total weight of the truck, add 100 lbs for a hitch and subtract that total from the GVWR of the truck on the door plate. Take the difference and divide by .20. That will give you an approximate weight of the GVWR of the trailer you should consider.

Use the lesser of the two numbers and you should be good.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:24 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txdave View Post
Ford chart says maximum load trailer 9600 lbs. GCWR 15,500.
Look again. The 2012 F-150 trailer tow selector chart in the 2012 RV and Trailer Towing Guide says your tow rating is 9,500 pounds. The 9,600 is for the same truck but with the shorty bed.

But that's nit picking. You cannot tow a trailer grossing anywhere near 9,000 pounds without exceeding the GVWR of your truck. And the fine print in that chart says you should NEVER exceed the GVWR or rear GAWR of your tow vehicle.

My similar 2012 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew EcoBoost with 6.5' bed has payload capacity of 1,366 pounds, and I'm overloaded with my small travel trailer (TT) that grosses less than 5,000 pounds when wet and loaded on the road. Just two adults, a 40-pound Border Collie and a 10-pound Chihuahua, a toolbox, spray-in bedliner, running boards, bed steps and tailgate step. Plus a cap that probably weighs around 150 pounds.

Your 4x4 is heavier than my 4x2, with only 100 pounds more GVWR, so I wouldn't consider any TT with GVWR over 6,000 pounds. That's a very limiting weight. My small TT has GVWR of 5,600 pounds, and it's crowded for two adults and two dogs. When one person is in the kitchen, the other person must stay on the bed or dinette or in the bathroom.
http://www.rvguide.com/specs/skyline...elect/196.html

Our small TT had to meet three conditions on which Darling Wife insisted:

1] Walk-around bed so she doesn't have to crawl on the bed to make it up.

2] Separate roomy shower so she doesn't have to set on the potty to take a shower.

3] Roomy closet that will hold two weeks of clothes for long trips. No, the tiny wardrobes at the head of the bed don't qualify.

Quote:
I have no clue what type of trailer i can pull can you help.
Small travel trailer (TT) at the most. Or better yet, a pop-up "tent" trailer with GVWR of about 4,000 pounds. Don't even dream about a fifth wheel or a TT longer than 26' (which means a 20' to 22' box not counting tongue or rear bumper.

Back in 1968 I bought my first camper, a fold-out tent camper with an 8' box. Nothing in it but an ice box, dinette, and fold-out beds. We used Coleman gas stove, lantern, and catalytic heater, Our potty was a slop jar. No AC. But our camper beat the heck out of camping in a tent. We used that camper all the time our kids were growing up and graduating from high school, and camped in most of the states in the lower 48 plus Ontario.

But today you can buy a fold-out camper with restroom, hot and cold running water in the shower, AC, propane stove/oven, electric lights, refrigerator, etc, and keep the GVWR to less than 4,000 pounds. Here's one example:
http://www.forestriverinc.com/produc...delID=795#Main

Your GVWR is probably 7,200 pounds, and your payload capacity is probably around 1,200 to 1,300 pounds. That's your limiter. So ignore the much-higher GCWR of over 15k which results in a tow rating over 9,000 pounds.

Your EcoBoost drivetrain is a wonderful powerhouse. You'll have no problems PULLING a 6,000 pound TT. But payload capacity is your limiter, so you probably cannot HAUL the hitch weight of a TT that weighs more than about 5,000 pounds without exceeding the GVWR of your F-150.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:51 PM   #8

Thank yfor the information it has been very helpful.

Dave
Old 06-14-2015, 10:29 AM   #9

Payload it where you will hit a limit first. Higher trim levels have less payload than lower trim models.

Check yr door sticker for max cargo capacity (CC). Add up the weight of all the stuff and people you put in the tuck to go camping and see how much you have left for the hitch and tongue weight.

Ignore dry tongue weights published. Take 12-15% of the max trailer weight and see if you have enough CC left to carry that.
Old 06-15-2015, 01:16 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I would take your wife out and show her the size of TT your truck can SAFELY pull. If I had your truck I would be looking at the 24 ft and around 5K dry.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:54 AM   #11

We are looking for a small travel trailer it is just the two of us. We spend most of the time outdoors. She fishes and hunts with me. If the weather is bad we also like to read so we are okay with small. When are children were small I hauyled a 30ft trailer with slides and my F350 with 7.3l. We wanted a truck that would ride a little bettter and I thought we were done camping she says she misses it so we will find something we can pull. I never trust the sales people and didnt want to get something to big. Thanks for all the replies.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:25 PM   #12

When you pick the one, do yourself a favor and get a GOOD WDH. Bigger tucks can get away with cheaper friction sway control. Lighter trucks really benefit from a quality WDH like Blue Ox Sway Pro or other non-friction sway control systems.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:30 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

We did the same thing. Thought we were through with camping so sold our 5er to our daughter and sold the diesel pickup. Later we decided we really needed a small TT so we'd have our pottie with us when traveling. So we ordered a new F-150 EcoBoost and a new small TT big enough for two old folks. Good match of tow vehicle and trailer. Skyline Nomad Joey 196S has walk-around bed, nice shower, and big closet plus the two small wardrobes at the head of the bed. The only complaint is that when one person is walking around in the kitchen, the other person has to stay out of the kitchen. Skyline no longer makes the Joey 196S, and the replacement 188RB is heavier with more elbow room in the bathroom, but no longer includes that big closet.
Skyline 188RB

However note that the 188RB now includes a normal-size queen-size bed (60"x80") instead of our RV-queen size bed (60"x75"). So if you choose to replace the mattress with a better mattress, you can buy it at any sleep shop. We bought our Serta EuroTop from Sam's Club at an excellent price.

Our 196S overloads the F-150 by about 100 pounds over the GVWR of the F-150. GVWR of the TT is 5,600, and weighs 4,870 pounds with 650 tongue weight when wet and loaded on the road. But we haul a camper shell to weatherproof the stuff in the bed, so without the shell we'd be within specs of our F-150 that does not have the max tow pkg or HD payload pkg.

So if you order a new 2015 F-150 to tow a TT with GVWR of 6,000 pounds or more, be sure you order at least the max tow pkg, and preferably the HD payload pkg as well.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:02 AM   #14

Keep in mind that a WD hitch can shift 15-20% of the trailer load, as indicated by the tongue weight, back to the trailer axles. Thus a tongue weight of 1000 pounds might actually put only 800-850 pounds actual load on the truck.

As for 2015 F-150s; it appears that even with standard towing packages payloads are impressively high. I looked at a 4x4 XLT crewcab with power seats, a V-8, off road package and tailgate step that had 1859 pounds payload. My similarly equipped 2013 truck (though an Ecoboost rather than a V-8) has 1319 pounds.

Tags
tow, towing