Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2013, 07:34 AM   #1

Towing with Farm tags

I have long understood that there's an allowance for using your (Texas) farm tagged truck for towing your travel trailer for vacations. I can't find it in print anywhere. Anyone have any knowledge about this?
L.C.Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2013, 08:03 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
We have a farm-registered vehicle (Washington State) and are careful only to use it for that purpose due not just to the law, but to the limitations imposed by the insurance on the vehicle.

For Texas:

Here's a link to the application for farm tags in Texas. One has to swear that the unit will be used for specific purposes.

Allowed uses seem pretty cut-and-dried...( Link to enabling Law) I s'pose you might make a case that towing an RV trailer is sort of covered by the highlighted section below.
Quote:
(b) A commercial motor vehicle may be registered under this section despite its use for transporting without charge the owner or a member of the owner's family:
(1) to attend church or school;
(2) to visit a doctor for medical treatment or
supplies; or
(3) for other necessities of the home or family.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #3

An old rancher I know had 2 pickups, 3/4 ton 4x4 regular cab and a 1 ton crew cab and each summer he loaded his big slide in camper on the crew cab and took the family to Colorado on vacation. He told me there was a provision that allowed you to use the farm vehicles for towing on vacations. Danged if I can find it in print.

The latest info on the state website tells you verbatim what you CAN DO and what you CAN'T DO with farm tags, but it leaves all else in the grey.
L.C.Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:03 PM   #4

Quote:
if the vehicle's owner will
use the vehicle for commercial purposes only to transport:
(1) the person's own poultry, dairy, livestock,
livestock products, timber in its natural state, or farm products
to market or another place for sale or processing;
(2) laborers from their place of residence to the
owner's farm or ranch; or
(3) without charge, materials, tools, equipment, or
supplies from the place of purchase or storage to the owner's farm
or ranch exclusively for the owner's use or for use on the farm or
ranch.
My 3500 DRW has farm tags. I pull the RV to out of state farm/ranch shows/transport farm equipment I bought from another state to my place/etc.

I see many TX farm tags pulling a RV or carrying a TC at these same places. OKdot tells me as long as the trip pertains to the truck owners farm or ranch concerns its not a violation. Now if the truck had a camper and towing a bass boat or a trailer load of ATVs then the officer may consider it in violation.

Having pulled commercially for many years one thing I learned is contact the state your registered in and talk with certified size and weights officers. They deal with this just about every day and can answer your question or get you a contact number for more help.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:06 PM   #5

I ran farm tags on my previous F150's as most farmers do. It saved a little on property tax. I never had any trouble but all I hauled was the boat to the local lake. We now haul the 5th and boat in tandem with the F350, and we are travelling further from home across state lines. I also have my company McCain Trucking & Harvesting on the side. If I were to get stopped, while pulling the RV or car trailer, I didn't want to be accused of hauling on farm tags, so this truck is tagged with reg county tags. I agree with the above poster, If I were hauling the 5th to live in during harvest I'd probably be OK. However it might be hard to convince an officer when pulling the boat or the GN car hauler. The odds of getting in trouble are probably slim, but in my case, not worth the risk.
Trent McCain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tags, towing