Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2016, 02:52 PM   #1

Towing with GMC Acadia

I am considering purchasing a Micro Minnie 2106FBS and would like to know if anyone has towed with a similar tow vehicle. I have a 2016 GMC Acadia Denali AWD, 3.6L V6 (288 hp), 5200 lb towing capacity. curb weight = 4850 lbs, gross vehicle weight = 6459 lbs, gross combination weight rating = 10450 lbs. I have talked to factory rep and salesmen and all have indicated that my vehicle should do just fine when set up with proper weight distribution hitch. I would like hear results from someone who has actually pulled the 2106FBS with this type of SUV.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2016, 08:12 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
7,000 GVWR for the trailer could result in as high a tongue weight as 1,000.

Are the weights and capacities for your Acadia from the manual, marketing materials, or the sticker on the driver's door?

Old 10-02-2016, 06:53 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
The Micro Minnie 2106FBS has a printed dry weight of 3700 lbs. Add options, plus filled propane tanks and your looking at closer to 4000 lbs. Most people can add another 1000 lbs for "stuff". If you were only a couple and watched what you kept in the Minnie, it's going to be OK. But your not going to want to travel with water tanks filled. The Winnebago site does not list the hitch weight of the Minnie. My guess is the dry hitch weight is 400-450. You will have to find out with a WD hitch what the Denali's hitch / tongue limit is.

Our last tt was a 25' tt 3700 dry 4600 - 4700 wet (loaded) also towed with a SUV. (Toyota 4Runner) but it had the V-8. Good for 7200 towing. I would not like to go over 5000 lbs with that vehicle. The suspension was too soft. Not sure how the Denali is set up.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 07:08 AM   #4

GMC Acadia

Weights listed are for the sticker on the door. Winnebago lists the hitch weight of 360 lbs for the Micro Minnie 2106FBS.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:16 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Don't believe the marketing materials. They don't take into account anything above the base model weight. Anything added, even factory options, aren't included. Your propane tanks and batteries (which sit right on the tongue), and anything else that you'll need to go camping aren't included.

You simply don't know what the tongue weight will be, no one does, until you get it home and load it up to be ready to camp and get it weighed.

Don't believe the hype.
Old 10-02-2016, 12:33 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
I'm close to you in sizes and weights. I have a Flagstaff 21 FBRS. The "dry weight" from the manufacturer is 3908, and load limit is 1287. I tow with a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Tow rating is 6200 lbs. When I went thru CAT scales a month back, I was a 10,180 when loaded for a week in the boondocks. So I am well under the max tow rating on my Jeep.
My V6 is almost identical to yours in hp, but I think I have more torque, and that's what you tow with. I have an Equal-I-Zer dwh that is set up very well. So my overall towing experience has been very good.

But here is my opinion. I think what you want is way to close to the max of the TV. I looked at the Acadia and it's brother when I was buying in the spring, and wrote it off as being not enough tow rating. My recommendation would be to look for a TT that is no more than 4400 lbs total weight. That would give you a good safety margin.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:46 PM   #7

GMC Acadia

Thanks for the input. I thought that I may be approaching the max. I am now considering the Winnebago Micro Minnie 1706FB (Dry Weight of approx 3100 lbs, Hitch Weight of 320 lbs). Any advice is appreciated.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:09 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
The 1706 does appear to have a nice amount of cabinet space. Counter space is lacking, but that is expected in a small tt. Granted none of the spaces are real large, but there is a fair amount of overhead ones too. I like for a 19' tt it has dual axles, where some bare bones models only have one. The Winnebago website lists the 1706 as having a 43 gallon fresh tank. I'm assuming that is the 2017's. On RV trader a 2016 only lists the fresh as 31. Not sure if one or the other is a mis-print or they increaded the size for the 2017's. Both the gray and black are 25 gallons. 25 is a little small ( for the gray) if your planning to take more than 4-5 showers in the unit. 25 for the black is no issue.

The Winnebago is a step above 80% of the "other" tt's out there. I have viewed them many times in the last 2 years. The first thing I see, are the cabinets are made better. The fit & finish on the trim and such is much better. Just can't seem to find a floorplan that works for us. I'm holding out....

Going back and forth between the 2106 and the 1706, that slide more than doubles the open floor space when open. If you can deal with that, towing with the Denali will be more in your favor for the 1706. I still think the 2107 "can" be pulled by the Denali, but you would have to watch your loaded weight. Was this just for two of ya? (couple)
  • Tankless hot water heater
  • Memory foam mattress
  • Front overhead bunk/cab option
  • Split galley sink with pull-out faucet sprayer
  • 2,500-lbs. of cargo carrying capacities
  • 7’ wide footprint
  • Dual axles
  • 3,000-lb. dry weight - SUV towable
  • Spare tire, cover, and bumper mount
  • Tinted safety glass windows
Old 10-03-2016, 07:26 PM   #9

GMC Acadia

Just two of us, no pets. Need to plan for 7 - 10 day trips.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:32 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
On our trip to Alaska this spring in our 26' tt, I know I was loaded down with more things that I wouldn't have normally had including: Full water tank (53 gallons), extra tools, repair parst, extra food, extra beverages, 4 cases of empty glass canning jars, gold panning items, extra cold weather clothing, extra rain gear, 5 gallon can of extra gas......Weighed myself at a Cat scale and came to 1600 lbs. of cargo. That is for 3 adults. I figured we had 650 lbs. of extra stuff. So normally I would be in the 950 - 1000 lbs of cargo. So two adults in a smaller tt could easily come in at 600 - 800 lbs. We usually don't travel with a full water tank. So that was 425 lbs right there.
Old 10-05-2016, 03:41 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You will be right up against the towing capacity limit when loaded. Might be ok if set up is perfect and you are somewhat experienced in towing. Little or no experience or a poor set up and it will be trouble. Better to have more margin. Use gross trailer weight, no one camps in an empty trailer.

Tags
tow, towing