Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2014, 11:47 PM   #1

Towing with KarKaddy any issues??

Hello Friends! I'm thinking of buying a KarKaddy to tow my 1998 Toyota Camry, has anyone had any issues with the Karkaddy?? As the wheels on this units turn with the vehicle any issues with the fenders hitting the door of the car?? Also my MH will have the Cummings 340 engine anyone outthere see an issue towing the Camry with this engine?? I know that it's rated to tow 5,000 pounds max, I do not think the KarKaddy and the Camry weigh that much, but I will weigh the whole rig when I receive it.

Thanks as Always for all of your help!!!!
Grandcanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2014, 12:18 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We've towed our '05 Honda Odyssey on a KK-460 and also four down behind the same motorhome.
With the Ody on the dolly it actually follows the MH better, four down the Ody tends to "cut the corner" and I have to be careful to leave more room.
The fenders do hit the side of the Ody, but have never done any damage.
I did have to replace the old fenders with a new design, no cost to me other than my time.
Be sure to remove the centering pin when towing and watch the ramps to be sure they're locked in place before driving the car off or on the dolly. I didn't and the ramp really messed up the front fascia on the Ody.
I should check the alignment on the dolly as one tire is wearing a little bit more than the other. Instructions are in the owners manual and online.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 01:29 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I used a KarKaddy for a VW GTI and did not have any problems with the fenders or anything else. The surge brake worked very well. The dolly never caused any problems.

In an effort to be critical of a good product, I would caution you that the steering causes some wondering that makes negotiating tight spaces a bit of a challenge. Also, the straps and safety chains take some effort. Storage also can be an issue.

We now have a Jeep Wrangler that we tow 4 down. It is easier to set up and manage than a dolly. But it does not permit switching vehicles which you can do with a dolly.

If a dolly feels like the right solution in your situation, nothing in my experience using a dolly would argue against a dolly.

Bob & Carolyn
2010 Coachman Mirada 34bh
2013 Jeep Wrangler
Rbeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:33 PM   #4

Hello and thanks for the information!! I really do need a tow dolly as my 1998 Camry cannot be towed 4 wheels down I really do not want to buy a new car since this Camry only has 49,000 miles on it, also when I travel with my parents I will need to tow their 2002 Honda Odyssey for their confort. What was meant by hard to store?? Is this dolly hard to move by hand??? Thanks Again!
Grandcanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:38 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The KK-460 folds and is not hard to store at all except at one FMCA rally where I had to store it away from the rig and down the road. Kind of easy to steal them although folding them up and locking the chains through the slots in the wheel will deter most.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:22 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastal Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
I two am looking at the Kar Kaddy ss460 it does fold up to 67 inches when not in uses witch will be no issue for me. But it's 700 lbs. It does have a third wheel that lowers but it's small and if not on a flat serface might be hard to move by hand. So you might want to have a hitch just in case
John424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:32 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by John424 View Post
I two am looking at the Kar Kaddy ss460 it does fold up to 67 inches when not in uses witch will be no issue for me. But it's 700 lbs. It does have a third wheel that lowers but it's small and if not on a flat serface might be hard to move by hand. So you might want to have a hitch just in case
Yep, I put a hitch on the Ody to haul a small utility trailer and also move the KK-460. Although now I'm towing the Ody four down.

Tags
tow, towing