Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2012, 07:30 PM   #1

Towing with our 2012 Dodge Caravan

Hi - this is not about Toads and motorhome towing, BUT. I have to start someplace. We are going to tow a small trailer with our 2012 Caravan and do not want to directly connect to the vehicle lighting system. I think there are products available to provide lighting to the trailer without a large direct draw on Caravan's lighting system. I have not had any luck with searching, I suppose because I have not entered the correct buzz word.
Thanks for the help.

Les
T.O. CA
Mirada2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #2

If you have basic elec skills, you can build (I did) a simple relay farm in a Rad Shack project box. I used this on MCs taking the load off the elec system as you want to. You can buy isolators from places like Electrical Connection for this purpose. http://www.electricalconnection.com/...ns-trailer.htm

I lived in T.O from '77 until '07.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:24 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirada2005 View Post
Hi - this is not about Toads and motorhome towing, BUT. I have to start someplace.
Well, the "Motorhome"forum probably isn't your best choice!

You'd probably be better off in a forum dedicated to minivans/other vehicles that actually do the towing rather than spending their time being towed!

That having been said:

You don't say exactly what you want to tow, which makes a big difference when answering your question (is it a camp trailer? Boat? Does it have brakes?). I don't know if there's a way to achieve the required safety/visibility results by the method you seem to be looking for...

I recommend that you consult the following links to assure that whatever you decide to do it's done correctly and safely: Custom Fit Vehicle Wiring for 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan - Tow Ready 118534
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:29 AM   #4

Smile Product

The product listed below is what I was looking for.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Well, the "Motorhome"forum probably isn't your best choice!

You'd probably be better off in a forum dedicated to minivans/other vehicles that actually do the towing rather than spending their time being towed!

That having been said:

You don't say exactly what you want to tow, which makes a big difference when answering your question (is it a camp trailer? Boat? Does it have brakes?). I don't know if there's a way to achieve the required safety/visibility results by the method you seem to be looking for...

I recommend that you consult the following links to assure that whatever you decide to do it's done correctly and safely: Custom Fit Vehicle Wiring for 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan - Tow Ready 118534
Old 11-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirada2005 View Post
The product listed below is what I was looking for.
Thanks

Somehow I misread your opening post as if you were looking to do something more exotic...glad to hear that this will work for you!
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:02 PM   #6

I find that as I mature (meaning get older), the questions are easier to answer when I already know the answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post

Somehow I misread your opening post as if you were looking to do something more exotic...glad to hear that this will work for you!
Old 11-25-2012, 06:47 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can't help you on the electrical. However I can caution you on the transmission.
I don't know anyone who has owned a Dodge caravan and NOT had a transmission failure, including myself.

About 7 people if my memory serves me right and a couple of those people had multiple transmissions go bad.

So I'd make sure you change the transmission fluid, etc before it is necessary as towing puts a stress on the transmission.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:07 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

This thread was moved to the trailer towing forum (from Motorhome towing)
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing