Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2018, 07:56 PM   #15

Ok, the numbers are in.

Was finally able to put the rig on the scales today and here are the numbers. The trailer 6265# on the axles and a tongue weight of 665# for a Gross Trailer Weight of 6815# (GVWR 6635#) so a little over on this one.

The truck with the trailer attached and weight distribution is front axle 2935# (GAWR 3375#) rear axle 3950# (GAWR 4380#) total 7055# (GVWR 7450#) so things are good here. Truck and trailer 13320# (GCVWR 15500#) things are looking good here as well. I know the numbers don’t quite add up but those are the numbers that were on the scale.

So if I read this right with a GTW go 6815# my tongue weight should be anywhere from 800# to 850#. Is that correct? The question is how do I increase the tongue weight without increasing the trailer weight as I am pretty much over weight as it is. The big storage compartment is at the back of the trailer as well as the fresh water tank. The kitchen is in the front so all of our food and drinks are in front of the axles. The bedroom is in the back so not much weight there except our clothes and we don’t have that much. The only thing that could be moved or removed would be our 2 bikes that are on a bikes rack (combined weight of max. 50#)on the bumper of the trailer

Any input and ideas greatly appreciated.
Marqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2018, 10:27 AM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marqui View Post
Ok, the numbers are in.

Was finally able to put the rig on the scales today and here are the numbers. The trailer 6265# on the axles and a tongue weight of 665# for a Gross Trailer Weight of 6815# (GVWR 6635#) so a little over on this one.

The truck with the trailer attached and weight distribution is front axle 2935# (GAWR 3375#) rear axle 3950# (GAWR 4380#) total 7055# (GVWR 7450#) so things are good here. Truck and trailer 13320# (GCVWR 15500#) things are looking good here as well. I know the numbers don’t quite add up but those are the numbers that were on the scale.

So if I read this right with a GTW go 6815# my tongue weight should be anywhere from 800# to 850#. Is that correct? The question is how do I increase the tongue weight without increasing the trailer weight as I am pretty much over weight as it is. The big storage compartment is at the back of the trailer as well as the fresh water tank. The kitchen is in the front so all of our food and drinks are in front of the axles. The bedroom is in the back so not much weight there except our clothes and we don’t have that much. The only thing that could be moved or removed would be our 2 bikes that are on a bikes rack (combined weight of max. 50#)on the bumper of the trailer

Any input and ideas greatly appreciated.
Did you do the three pass method? If so, what were your axle weights for the Expedition without the trailer attached and what were the axle weights without the spring bars attached? I ask because I think you might have too much tension on your bars. My front axle weight without the trailer is only 2880lbs. I suspect yours is less than that, which means you'd transferring too much weight to the steering axle (and back to the trailer axles).
Old 08-02-2018, 07:39 AM   #17

Hi Shane the ee

Front axle no weight distribution 2715# rear no weight distribution 4300#. Got the tongue weight by unhitching on the scale.

Did not do the expedition on it’s own on this pass because I had done it before but now realize that I should have because weight difference in fuel.

Truck only front 3130# rear 3265# total 6400#. Other wise truck was loaded pretty similarly. Fuel on this pass I was almost full. Can’t remember how much fuel I had in the original pass. Both pass my wife and I in the truck and pretty much the same gear.

I admit that I am surprised that yours is lighter being it’s a Max. ( Maybe my wife and I need to go on a diet)

When I set up the hitch I brought the height of the front almost back to normal 36 inches. By looking at the numbers it would seem that the front end is still lighter by about 100# when the trailer is hitched up. When I was setting up the hitch if I put another washer to tilt the head I could not hook up the bars. So I moved the brackets up one hole and got the best results that I could. I am still at the point that if I add another shim I can’t hook the bars without raising the rear end of the truck of the ground. Maybe I will go looking for thinner washers.

P.S. I have the Fastway E2 round bar. Bars are 1000#
Old 08-02-2018, 10:07 AM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If the trailer is 6815 and truck and trailer is 13320, then the truck is (13320-6815) 6505. Which would be bad, because that means your tongue weight is really only 510lbs. Showing my math [truck and trailer]-[truck]-[trailer axles with WDH bars disconnected] or 13320-6505-6305*= 510. My guess is you're still a bit nose high on the trailer.

On the upside, your WDH seems to be set up properly as it's returning about half of the front axle weight "lost" when you attach the trailer back to the front axle.

Ok, so how do we get your tongue weight up? First, get the trailer level (or a little nose down). That's not going to get to 800lbs of tongue weight, but it's a good start and your trailer should be level to tongue down anyway.
My gut says you can finish the task by moving your bikes. "But they're only 50lbs!", you say? Are you sure on that? Even a super cheap thinnest sheet metal possible, bare bones spare tire rack will run you 10lbs. Which means your bikes are 25lbs each. But a 25lb bike is going to be close to 4 figures. And nobody is putting $1000+ bikes on a 10lb bike rack on the back of a travel trailer. So I'm going to guess 30-35lbs minimum for each bike plus a rack. Which means you're closer to 90lbs than you are 50lbs. So I'd seriously consider getting one of those fancy over-the-propane-tanks bike racks. The counter-intuitive thing is that it'll actually add more than 75lbs to your tongue weight. Why, because that 75lbs is currently at the far end of your trailer acting as a lever with the axles as the fulcrum. So it's actually pulling UP on your tongue like a 90lb kid sitting on a see-saw with your propane tanks strapped to the other seat.
Old 08-03-2018, 04:44 PM   #19

Yes I get what you are saying about the bikes, and you are right I was probably conservative on the weight, come to think about it just the square tube bumper hitch probably weighs in at 10 - 15#. ( Now I’m going to have to weigh those bikes just so I know).

However I had thought of moving the bikes to the front, but even with one of those fancy over the tanks bike rack, I don’t think there’s enough room up there. I think they would get in the way when I would need to do so tight maneuvering.

I have been thinking of adding an other battery for those boondocking camping trips. That should buy me a few pounds.

As far as the tongue weight goes, it’s 665# as weighed on the scale. Is that not the weight we are supposed to use or is it the tongue weight of the tongue when it is hitched up and weight distributed?

Since I readjusted the ball height the trailer is pretty level as measured from frame to ground on a flat surface. I don’t think I want to mess with it to much right now since I don’t think I could get it any better.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:05 PM   #20

Ok, so just went and weighed the bikes and bike rack and you called it, they are all much heavier than I thought. Actually they have combined weight of 99#. Never would have thought! They just don’t seem that heavy when I’m handling them.

Will have to figure out what to do with them.

Good call My friend.
Old 08-21-2021, 12:46 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_the_ee View Post
Here she is:
Does your Expedition have the HD trailer package?
JTinElkGrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 12:48 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut4speed View Post
Don't have a 2018 but we do have the 2017 Expedition EL. Haven't found a hill yet that'll slow it down. As far as stability goes we haven't had any issue, ours has been very stable pulling our 30' 6800lb (wet and loaded) Keystone Passport. One thing is we do have the auto leveling rear suspension which I think adds to the stability and an Equalizer E4 hitch. Attachment 212576
Hi. Does your Expedition have the HD trailer package?
JTinElkGrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 07:01 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTinElkGrove View Post
Hi. Does your Expedition have the HD trailer package?
Yes it does.
Old 08-23-2021, 12:35 PM   #24

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yes, it does.
Old 08-23-2021, 05:07 PM   #25

Just my observation - those Expeditions seem to have a long wheelbase which is good to help control a trailer. At least that is the way it looks to me.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing, ford, tow