Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2018, 11:34 PM   #1

Towing with tires near the end of tread life

Do you worry about loading up and towing with tires near the end of their tread life? My tires are rated at 3500# each and when towing I'm at about 2750# each so I've got a bit of room. They are about 2.5 years old and are within a couple 32nds to the tread bars. It's summer so tread depth as it relates to water is not really a concern. I'm mainly wondering if the tire is weakened due to the tread being nearly worn. The tires in question are from Les Schwab - Wild Country XTX (It think they are a Toyo derivative). They've worn completely evenly and I've never had a flat.

I'm heading out on a couple hundred mile trip out of cell phone range and would feel pretty dumb blowing a tire (or worse, more than one and not having a 2nd spare) but was also hoping to get a few thousand more miles and replace the tires right before the rainy season this fall.

Part of me thinks they are within age and tread life so run with it. The other side of me says to just go conservative and replace them before the trip.

I realize there's really no right/wrong answer. I'm just curious what the masses think?
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2018, 11:44 PM   #2

How does the tread depth, wear ; from new depth ; relate to the miles driven so far on the tires ?
2/32 tread remaining to the wear bars isn't enough to go a few thousand miles , if the wear rate is 1/32" per 1000.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:35 AM   #3

This part of the masses thinks 90% of tire problems occur in the last 10% of their life. Before coming to Alaska for the summer, we replaced our 4 rear tires for that very reason. It pinched the pocket but I don’t regret a $ of the decision.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:39 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
They are about 2.5 years old and are within a couple 32nds to the tread bars.
The tires are not "worn out" until the tread bars are flush with the tread. Or ignore the tread bars and use a tread depth gauge to measure the tread depth in the grove with the least depth. You want at least two 32nds inch, and a lot of tire engineers now recommend replacing the tire when it has less than three 32nds of an inch at the shallowest part of the tread.

If your planned trip is only for a few hundred miles, then there's no reason to replace the tires before you get back.

Quote:
I'm mainly wondering if the tire is weakened due to the tread being nearly worn.
No, the tread depth does not contribute to the strength of the tire. As long as the tread bars are below the tread, the tire is strong enough. Tire age can weaken the tire, as indicated by "checking" of the rubber in the sidewall. But with your tires being less than 3 years old, that shouldn't be a problem if you haven't run them underinflated.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:31 PM   #5

I'm in the "should be fine" bleachers of the peanut gallery. Better than the 8 yr old dry rotted, UV irradiated, still have nubs on the tread, out there running on trailers.
Some dry road tests (G-force(s) on a skid-pad) indicate nearly worn out tires perform traction wise better.

Happy trails.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:16 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnTrek View Post
Some dry road tests (G-force(s) on a skid-pad) indicate nearly worn out tires perform traction wise better.
Yeah, consider drag racing slicks. Savy drag racers shave most of the tread off their tires to give them more traction.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:28 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnTrek View Post
I'm in the "should be fine" bleachers of the peanut gallery. Better than the 8 yr old dry rotted, UV irradiated, still have nubs on the tread, out there running on trailers.

Happy trails.
Michelin says it takes 30,000 miles for a truck tire to break in and give it's best mileage and traction.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:06 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I would bet that Michelin was talking about over-the-road tires for semi trucks. Most passenger trucks rarely see 30,000 miles before the tires are past the wear bars.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 05:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
I would bet that Michelin was talking about over-the-road tires for semi trucks. Most passenger trucks rarely see 30,000 miles before the tires are past the wear bars.
What? The P Michelins on my pickup are over 40,000, and probably 80% tread still there. Now when I drove young and junk tires did not last. But better driving and maintenance habits has extended the life of tires and the rest of vehicle...
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 07:44 PM   #10

When I had my truck and trailers on the road as the tires start getting close to the wear bars they run hotter and were quick to pick up nails/gravel/glass/other objects causing flat tires.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNLIN View Post
When I had my truck and trailers on the road as the tires start getting close to the wear bars they run hotter and were quick to pick up nails/gravel/glass/other objects causing flat tires.
LOL. A driver looks at a tire, "It's about wore out." Owner, looking at same tire, "Now it's making me money."
I agree, well worn tread is more likely to lose air from nail or screw. But deep tread is more likely to hold rock or glass long enough for it to work in. And the tread is more likely to come off at 70% or more than less than 30%...
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 12:33 PM   #12

Im in the probably all right camp, but with that said, getting the last five cents out of a set of tires can bite you in the arse. My brothers TT blew two tires last year and tore both his fenders off the trailer. My previous coach had a rear blowout and it tore off half the mudflap and the air lines to the rear air bags. Just saying, sometimes it pays to change them before they cause trouble.

Tags
tires, tow, towing