Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2013, 02:19 PM   #15

How long is your trailer, the touareg is europe's towing beast. But it's short wheelbase limits your towing length. If you do decide to tow with it, get a pro-pride or hensley hitch for sure because your using a short wheelbase vehicle.

I would try to keep it lighter, maybe around 5000-6000lbs loaded if i were you. There is a guy on youtube that tows a 30ft airstream with a mercedes GL with a similar 3.0L diesel. It pulls just fine, but he uses a Hensley. The weight of his airstream is 7,500lbs loaded.
Mercedes towing Airstream - YouTube

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2013, 10:12 PM   #16

A few more "cents".
1. Hensley/ Propride are for travel trailers only, will not work with most trailers.
2. VW V10 TDI are no longer in production, and used ones are very difficult to find.
3. Seen this video years ago... Now I can state that when out comes to 0-60 ramp test, 268hp gasser outperforms this 210 diesel by a huge margin for very obvious reason: it just produce higher power output. Yes, my trailer is lighter, but it is less aerodynamic. Ones up to speed the diesel is clearly better: I need to use 5 or 6, depending on the wind and terrain, 2500-3000 rpms, and will get 10-11mpg in most cases.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:43 AM   #17

V10 TDi's were an absolute beast, but i wouldn't buy a used one unless you're a mechanic. It's not that they are unreliable, it's just that once you get to a certain age and mileage you need to do service on all vehicles. The V10 is shoehorned in there, and requires major work to do certain things which results in a huge repair bills. Most things that need replacement like a turbo or A/C compressor require the engine to be removed, so look at at least $3000 just for that, let alone what you actually need to fix.

The V6 TDI's are smaller and don't require any extra effort to work on, the same as any other engine really. Engine only needs to come out when there is internal problems with it, the same as any other car.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:42 AM   #18

Hi,
I pull a 27' 5000lb dry weight 2013 primetime ultra lite tracer 245 bhs with a 2012 v6 Tourareg.

This summer I drove through the coastal mountains from Vancouver BC all the way to Idaho. I have to say there were some big climbs. The Tourareg pulled like a dream. No issues at all.

I don't know how VW does it but wow... As a tow vehicle pulling about 6300 lb loaded it is fine and miles to the gallon was decent too...

Don't rule these SUVs out because they don't fit the mold of a big suburban size TV. Technologies have moved on so much.

Incase u couldn't tell I love my Tourareg and would recommend it for "lite" trailers...
Old 12-20-2013, 09:36 AM   #19

From the VW brochure:

3,500 kg towing capacity 7716.18 lbs

With a 3,500 kg towing capacity, the 2013 Touareg
can haul all your toys, no matter how big they may be.

Brochures < 2013 VW Touareg | SUV | Volkswagen Canada
Old 01-24-2014, 09:20 AM   #20

Englishman

We are purchasing the smaller version of your trailer, a Tracer 215 Air and will be towing with a similar tow vehicle, a 2013 Porsche Cayenne V6. I wanted to ask if you are just towing with the standard hitch or if you are using an adjustable hitch bar or weight distribution hitch.

Thanks for any insight you can provided. This will be our first experience towing.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:44 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JgatorAZ View Post
Englishman

We are purchasing the smaller version of your trailer, a Tracer 215 Air and will be towing with a similar tow vehicle, a 2013 Porsche Cayenne V6. I wanted to ask if you are just towing with the standard hitch or if you are using an adjustable hitch bar or weight distribution hitch.

Thanks for any insight you can provided. This will be our first experience towing.
Is that the 3.0 diesel or the gasoline 3.6L???? I think englishman has a diesel, the gasoline will struggle in the hills.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:07 PM   #22

European vehicles have higher tow ratings in Europe because they have much more stringent towing regulations and manufacturing standards for trailers. One of my colleagues had a camping trailer in the UK, he could pick up the tongue by himself, try that with anything on a dealer lot in the US or Canada! They have strict speed limits, usually the left lane is not allowed for towed vehicles and most tongue weights (noseweight) are below 250lbs... (they aim for about 5%). Their driver's license may limit how much they can tow.

So even though the Touareg can tow 7000lbs, it may only be able to do so safely with a boat trailer which has less tongue weight and less drag than a travel trailer.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:00 PM   #23

This thread is worse than the ones where someone is asking if its ok to tow a 30ft fifth wheel with a 1/2 ton.
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:38 AM   #24

We have the 3.6L gas engine. The trailer is 3600# dry and 370# dry tongue weight so I am hoping I can keep it below 4800# loaded (that would be 62% of the trucks capacity). Porsche states that the fancy independent rear suspension along with the computer will counteract trailer sway via braking different tires, retarding throttle etc. I was curious if Englishman towed just via the hitch or added sway / weight control?
Old 01-27-2014, 10:21 AM   #25

Ok, looking at the specs, it seems you have an 8 speed auto???? That's a good thing, helps alot. But keep in mind, your V6 will need to rev, and rev alot. It won't hurt your engine, it'll just be very noisy and annoying. Let it do it's thing, and maintain your speed if you can. More gears will help your engine stay in the range where it needs to be without excessively over revving. For example, if your engine needs to be at 3000rpm to make 250ft-lbs of torque the ecu is requesting, a 4 speed transmission might put you at 4300rpm while an 8 speed transmission will put you at 33000rpm, to give you just what you need and not too much more.

The reason why his diesel tows so well is because it makes full torque below 2000rpm. With the 8 speed transmission, the revs can stay low most of the time, and tows like a dream.

As far as computer aided sway control. Don't buy into the advertisement as "sway control". It's more like "sway saver." Those tricks can only save at the moment sway is going out of control. It can be a real life saver, but you shouldn't drive a vehicle relying on the safety net for control. You get what i'm trying to say here?? That's like an architect designing a skywalk with no railings because there's a net underneath to catch you.

My recommendation, if you have your family with you, is to get a hensley or propride hitch. The cayenne is a relatively short wheelbase vehicle. The virtual pivot point with these hitches puts the ball nearly over the rear axle. It'll make your vehicle seem like a much longer vehicle in comparison to a tradtional sway control. Having the pivot point just over the rear axles inherently has little to no sway to begin with. You'll feel much safer.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:41 AM   #26

Thanks for the feedback, all the guidance shared is appreciated and will help in our towing decisions. Good news is gas v6 makes its peak 295 pounds of torque at only 3000 rpm, so coupled with the 8 speed revs might not be too big of problem (until I climb some mountain grades in the future). Plus I am a Porsche guy and like to hear the engine rev some.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:49 AM   #27

Hey Porsche guy... Sorry it took a while to get back to you. My Tourareg is a V6 gas and it pulls 6700 lbs TT (loaded for a trip but no water in tanks) like a dream. I think I had the same worries as you re a relatively small SUV pulling a TT. I have a WD hitch and sway bar and try to keep heavy items over my axels. I keep the 8 speed box in manual so I decide when to change gear and hopefully keep the trucks work to a min.

I live in Vancouver BC so the coastal mountains often have to be navigated. I had no issues at all even on some pretty big climbs...yes I'm sure the TDI is better but for VW it's several 1000's of $'s more unlike the Porsche which I think the diesel is less $'s than the v6 gas???

Hope this helped...
Old 04-15-2014, 02:41 PM   #28

I just wanted to share how the Cayenne has been towing our 215 Tracer (assuming 5500# loaded based on a 3900# dry weight) with the Andersen WDH. The ride has been smooth and sway free for the most part. Last week coming down from the mountains with a 3500 net decline with 20 plus mph cross winds did cause some motion though. The V6 does great on the flat stuff, but on mountain climbs I find the engine is revving to 5000 rpm at 65 miles per hour and 4100 rpm at 55 miles per hour (which is what I settled in to as that kept the oil temp from climbing very much).

TV mph ranges from 13.7 mpg on relatively flat 65 mph travels down to 10.5 on mountain climbs with headwinds and running more 65 mph than 55 mph. On average we seem to get in the 12's. So overall pleased.

I probably would have purchased the 8 cylinder or the diesel if I had known I would be towing, but for other than the mountain climbs, the V6 performs fine. I hope this information helps someone on fence about which engine choice with one of the Porsche, VW, or Audi triplets.

Tags
towing