Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2012, 07:24 PM   #1

Toyota for towing

I am looking at 2008 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 engine, tow package, with 6 speed electronically controlled auto. trans. with intelligence sequential shift mode and uphill/downhill shift logic and tow/haul mode. wondering if this is enough truck to tow 28 to 30 ft. 5th wheel or pull type trailer. Some forum owners have problems with shifting with this trans. Any response would be appreciated

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2012, 08:22 PM   #2

The Tundra as any std duty 1500 truck has small rear axles/P tires that carry the load. Many Tundra owners have reported their trucks empty rear axles scaled weight in the 2300-2500 lb range. Those small axles may be rated in the 4000 lb range which leaves 1500-1700 lbs for a payload. By the time you load the truck with gear/folks and a 200 lb 5th wheel hitch your left with maybe 900-1100 lbs for a wet pin weight.

My 28' 5er has 2200 lbs of pin weight. IMO most 28'-30' 5er will severally overload a std duty 1500 truck.

The 5.7 Tundra will handle many TTs in the 28'-30' range depending on their actual weight. RV weights in that range can vary greatly.

Have you tried tundrasolutions.com web ?? I have read some of the Tundra's aren't 5th wheel compatable. Check them out.

JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:43 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by john5 View Post
wondering if this is enough truck to tow 28 to 30 ft. 5th wheel or pull type trailer.
Not even close to enuff truck for a 28 ft. 5er. My F-250 diesel was overloaded with my 25 ft. 5er. And probably not enuff truck for a 28-foot TT if by 28' you mean coach length not including hitch length.

It's a half-ton pickup, and after loading it with people, tools, ball mount and ball, floor jack and odds and ends, it will have a net unused payload of less than 1,000 pounds available for hitch weight.

If the Toy came from the factory with the heavy duty payload and towing packages, then it might have enough GVWR and GCWR to tow a 28 ft. TT, but probably not. Half ton pickups, including the Tundras, "properly equipped" to tow a TT that weighs more than 7,000 pounds are rare. Keep the GVWR of the TT down to less than 7,000 pounds, then the ability of the common Tundra to tow it safely will depend on the rear axle ratio. With 3.73 or 4.10 axle ratio, then probably no problem if you don't haul much weight in the pickup when towing.

Note that the length of a TT includes the hitch length, so the actual coach will be 4 feel shorter than the inside length of the coach. Go by the model number to determine coach length. For example the Keystone Springdale model 241RKSSWE has one slide and is 28'2" long (including hitch). But it's a 24' coach. And it has a GVWR of 7,560 so it will probably overload the Tundra. Go to the model 210BHLWE to get to a GVWR less than 7,000. It's 24 ft long but the coach is 21 ft.
Keystone Springdale | Floorplans

And the Springdale is the "economy" lightweight TT from Keystone. Other models are heavier. And most other brands of TT are heavier.

Hitch weight is usually the limiter on a half-ton pickup. Weigh the wet and loaded truck with full tank of gas, passengers, ball mount, tools, floor jack, etc. and subtract that weight from the GVWR of the pickup to determine maximum hitch weight. Divide that hitch weight by 12 percent to determine max weight of a wet and loaded TT you can tow without being overloaded. A 7,000-pound TT will have a hitch weight of about 840 pounds. So if the available payload for hitch weight is not at least 840 pounds, then don't buy that trailer.

Always use the GVWR of the trailer to estimate wet and loaded trailer weight. And use 12 percent of the GVWR of the trailer to determine wet and loaded hitch weight. Using any other numbers and you'll probably wind up overloaded when on the road.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by john5 View Post
I am looking at 2008 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 engine, tow package, with 6 speed electronically controlled auto. trans. with intelligence sequential shift mode and uphill/downhill shift logic and tow/haul mode. wondering if this is enough truck to tow 28 to 30 ft. 5th wheel or pull type trailer. Some forum owners have problems with shifting with this trans. Any response would be appreciated
I bet you won't be happy you posted this.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:39 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
popcorn anyone?
Attached Images

& 2014 Jeep Sahara Unlimited Toad
"Get It While You Can"
jwomack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:54 PM   #6

Tundra towing

Yes i,m still happy i posted it, I asked for info. and i definately got it. May not like what i got but i believe everyone was sincere in their response. My problem is i am looking for a pickup that will tow safely and that i can drive for my personal vehicle 95% of the time. I now have this 03 Winn. Brave 32v that sits most of the time and i have a 99 Dodge 3/4 with 5.9 diesel, so i am trying to sell the Winn. and upgrade to a newer pickup with a trailer that will set most of the time. Thanks for all responses.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:46 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Pay attention to the above post by Smokey. You need a lot more truck...or a lot less trailer.

Ken
Old 01-16-2012, 08:34 PM   #8

Well, they might be right about the truck rating not sure. Be careful though, some folks will not accept Toyota as an option just because

I have a Tundra and it is an awesome truck. Yes, I have had domestic ones also V-8, V-10, and Diesel. Close performance wise between the Diesel and the Tundra, but as I cycled through the trucks I kept the Tundra I only wish Toyota would make a diesel for the states.

Something to remember about weight ratings, a rating is supposed to be for full time so a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton truck is supposed to be able to carry that weight all the time not just some of the time.
Back in 2000 Dodge changed the GCWR from 20,000 to 18,000 lbs because Dodge was selling too many 3/4 ton trucks and not enough 1 ton units. They forced people into the 1 ton trucks that were towing basically anything larger than a cargo trailer.

Having more truck than you need may or may not be the right thing for you. I am a firm believer in the right tool for the job. We have figured out a way to stretch trucks, put 4 doors on huge cabs, almost everything is 4wd and automatics meaning more weight. All weights must be watched cause it adds up fast.
Forums like this are really helpful, great your able to search for input and learn before you spend
Windecker
Old 01-17-2012, 08:01 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
You need a lot more truck...or a lot less trailer.

Ken
Yep, that's the bottom line. Toyota makes a fine truck, but not for any heavy duty towing.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:17 PM   #10

I have a 23' trailer and am pulling it with the tundra. I pulled it from North West Florida to Springfield Missouri and back. No problems. By the way the weight at the weigh station on I 10 was 15,500 truck and trailer. I guess it would be the same at any other weigh station, but that is where I was when I weighed it.

Tags
towing