Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #15
Originally Posted by Retiredcop20 View Post

That's a very nice looking setup you have. Thanks for the information!!! As mentioned, sharp looking scooter. I bet it's great for getting around the campgrounds quietly.
Thanks. I removed the tow hooks in the front and installed a Curt hitch rated at 500#, took all of 10 min. The carrier is lightweight, good for 400#'s. The scooter weighs about 370# wet, so I'm close to capacity but not over. The front carry has worked out great, and the scooter is a lot easier loading in the front than in the rear!

Bubwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2012, 01:28 PM   #16
I have owned four Toyota 4WD trucks and they were fantastic. For towing the important consideration for maximum MPG is having a low enough rear end gearing to allow the engine to operate at its peak torque RPM when driving at towing speeds. If the rear end gearing is to high and the RPM's too low the MPG performance is going to suffer.

The problem with many trucks sold today is that the gearing is high to provide maximum MPG when empty and driving at 65 MPH or faster. This works against the performance of the truck when towing.

With the Tundra you definitely want to get the truck with the tow package as it upgrades many components like the alternator and transmission cooling as well as providing the tow haul mode and having the hitch receiver integrated into the truck frame and the intelligent choice of a 4.30 rear end. The 2012 trucks with the tow package can tow up to 10,400 lbs. with the 5.7L engine.

elkhornsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:41 PM   #17
Went to a Toyota dealer today and they, yes they, said they do not recommend towing a 5th wheel with a Tundra. Not due to power, but due to the turning ratio and the possibility of hitting the cab with the RV in a tight turn. They based this on the fact that the hitch pin has to be placed in the bed forward of the axle. I mentioned slide hitches, etc. and this did not phase them..I still asked for a price quote on a couple Tundras and they came back with the MSRP.....obviously they did not want to sell me a truck.
Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:32 PM   #18
Yes sir, they are definitely proud of the price on the Tundra. I visited the dealer yesterday, they have several incentives right now, the problem is each incentive is either or. Probably the best one is $1000 rebate and 0% interest for 60 months. They have a $2500 rebate but the interest rate goes up.

I plan to buy at the beginning of the year however, after looking on the internet; my local dealer had the one I plan to purchase on the lot. The correct color (dark blue) with all the options I'm looking for. So I decided to run down and take a look. Well I ended up with a test drive and actually trying to negotiate a deal. The problem was they only wanted to give me $4500 trade in for my 05 Silverado. So that was a deal killer for me. I'll just wait and pay $4500 down and keep my Chevy. Anyway, if they come around in the next few days, I just may pull the trigger.

Sure has plenty of power and really rides nice. After all was said and done I would have financed a little over $28000.

I believe it is on the 13th of October, they are using a 5.7L Tundra to tow the Space Shuttle Endeavor the last quarter mile of it’s trip to be placed on display. I think it takes place somewhere in California.
Retiredcop20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:17 PM   #19
Ford Super Duty Owner
The modern Tundra is awesome. Power is great, the transmission is smooth and the 6sp makes the gears very reasonable.

The only thing we found before buying ours was that the frame under bed had more flex than other non-Toyotas.

I think ours was rated for 10.5K. I never towed anything that heavy, but had a 6000lb boat.

Beyond the power and transmission, what I liked was the brakes. They're huge and great - this was the big issue with the prior generation Tundra and Toyota really fixed it.

Mileage: Better than the Dodge Hemi, but not as good as the Ford Ecotech.
I think non-towing we were at 15-16 mpg.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:09 PM   #20
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just wanted to post another reply from a Tundra user. I have a 2007 5.7 Crew Cab and have not had one issue with the truck. I have pulled two different trailers now and the truck is comfortable, has lots of power and pulls like a champ. I have taken it from California to Yellowstone and numerous places in California. We just came back from a trip to Trinity Lakes and averaged 10.5 mpg up and down the grades. On freeways without the trailer I usually get about 17mpg. Oh and as the other member posted the large brakes are great! I wouldn't think twice about getting another Tundra to tow.

Happy camping!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0003.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	569.8 KB
ID:	26910  
chipmulgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:55 AM   #21

Thanks for the information on your Tundra. I have never questioned the reliability of the product but just was not sure about reliability as a tow vehicle. Sure is nice to hear they function well as a TV also. I have been to my local dealer but they didn't seem to anxious to make a deal, at least a deal I couldn't refuse. Anyway I plan to wait until the end of December, just after Christmas, to purchase. I don't know how true it is but I've been told that's the best time to haggle with dealers because they want vehicles off their inventory for tax purposes. I heard they don't want to pay taxes for products sitting on the lot. Now whether this is true or not, I have no idea, but since I'm in no rush I see what happens. Again, thanks to all who have posted info on this subject. Nice looking setup you have!!!!

Retiredcop20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:45 PM   #22
I tow a 8200# bumper pull with a 12 trunda with tow pkg, Ill put it up against your ecoboost ford anyday.
tripleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:14 PM   #23
We pull our 2010 coachmen 23' with a 2011 tundra double cab. On the highway without the trailer at 60 miles an hour, I get 18-20 miles per gallon. With the trailer I pulled it 900 miles from north west Florida to Springfield Missouri, gas mileage was around 9.5 in the ozarks, and on the flats, I got 11-15. You got to realize the aerodynamics of the whole rig resembles a brick pulling a block. The truck pulls great, Mine came with a transmission cooler and temperature gauge. the temps engine and transmission did not differ the whole trip. I am well pleased with our trip. I did notice a mileage increase when I put the shell on the back end..
Jimm Zajicek (Zi/)2016 F250 power stroke diesel / 2015 29.9 RE Wildwood Heritage Glenn TT
Wire Wrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:35 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
I tow a 8200# bumper pull with a 12 trunda with tow pkg, Ill put it up against your ecoboost ford anyday.

Better watch out...you are going to get a spanking.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:36 PM   #25
I drive a 08 Tundra LTD with the tow factory pkg. It has the 6.5' bed and in it is a manual slide 5th wheel hitch. We pull a 30' 08 Keystone Cougar with 2 slides. We did add firestone airbags and E rated tires, the unit pulls well and no trouble at all on hills, up or down. Took it from Texas to the Colorado rockies and back last summer, had a great month there. The trailer has a GVWR of 10,295#. Ready for the trip, at the scales (I did weigh the unit before leaving) Trailer alone with 1/2 tank fresh water was 8640#. Trailer and truck was Trk front axel 3380#, drive axel 4120# and trailer weight 7060#. My pin weight was 1580# = 18.3%. We averaged 12.9 MPG overall on the trip. 9.8 mpg going and 10.6 mpg on the return trip pulling the 5r. W/O trailer and running around in the mtns we averaged 18.6 mpg. All was staying within the speed limits. I70 between Denver and Glenwood springs limits are 75mph, we did keep it down to 65mph. On previous trips we did notice that anything above 60mph really drinks the fuel so I do keep the speed down. Had no trouble maintaining speed on 6,7,& 8% grades and some break tapping is necessary coming down but the engin holds pretty good. With an empty truck on a flat highway 65mph we can get 20 - 21 mpg all day long. Purchased the Tundra new in 08 and have had this trailer since 03/11. I know the Tundra is maxed out with this rig, would not go any bigger and always know my weights before leaving. It does handel so well, I am not ready to change trucks or RV's. We have close to 5000 miles pulling the 5r and hope to add many more to in in the coming year.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:21 AM   #26
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hmmm - I have the same fifth wheel that you have presley01 paired with a 2011 Tundra DC. We have been debating on what to do if we wanted to take trips to Colorado. I know I will need to upgrade my tires and I already have the Firestone airbags on the Tundra. We would most likely not travel with water in our tanks.

We have made two trips so far and leaving again in 8 days. We pack light and buy our groceries/beer/water after we get set up (Walmarts are everywhere).

My only issue with the Tundra is the size of the gas tank. I have been packing two 5 gallon cans and fill up the Tundra at rest stops. This keeps me from looking for a gas station that I can pull into and will get me around 300 miles which is about all I want to drive anyway a day.
Raymond, Dee Dee and Sophie (Yorkie)
2013 Tiffin Allegro 31SA
2016 Chevrolet Equinox - V6 - AWD
reubenray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:05 AM   #27
I'm surprised that none of the existing Tundra owners have not mentioned the chassis rust problem. A nearby Toyota dealer has a big stack of new frames behind the shop, and will put an entire new frame under your existing Tundra if it is sufficiently rusted. otherwise, they just clean the area and paint with preservative. Depending on your viewpoint, this is either outstanding customer service, or an example of a poor product.

Info on the 1995.5 through 2004 Toyota Tacoma frame recall for rust
George Schweikle Lexington, KY
1999 Safari TREK 2830, FMCA 190830, Safari International chapter
1995 Safari TREK 2630, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:06 AM   #28
I keep a close eye on the under side of my Tundra and so far no rust that I have seen. I do live in central Texas not near the coast, maybe that's why no rust. We do go down to the coast several times a season, my sister lives there, so far so good. As for the fuel tank, yes, a larger tank would be nice. By the time we need fuel it's time for me and the dogs to get out and have a walk around so it works out for us.

PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote