Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2012, 12:16 PM   #29

I have a 2007 crew cab. I tow a fifth wheel and have had no problem towing it.
My 1st 5th wheel weighed over 10k and was 35ft long and 12.5 ft tall and I pulled it up Raton pass in excess of 60mph no problems or over heating. But because of the nose, it was like pulling a brick and my MPG suffered. On level or near level ground, I got around 5-7mpg. I live in "windy" country (Amarillo, Tx) so I got a feel for side wind stability in 30-50 mile an hour gusts. I up graded to heavier side wall tires and air bags that helped tremendously.
Then because of the length and space I could really do without (3 slide outs w/fireplace), I decided to get a 30' w/2slides that weighed about 7k and had a more aerodynamic nose. WOW, what a difference it upped my gas mileage by at least 2mpg, the handling is amazing.
Regarding the turning radius; with the new trailer I can turn well beyond 90* now but a touch could still happen. I mostly look for mountain campsites where backing in can be tricky. With this trailer I haven't come close to a touch.
As far as gas mileage goes it depend on where you go to camp. Up hill, head winds, bad. Down hill tail wind, good. I've averaged anything from about 11 to 6 depending on the overall topography of the trip. But it's still better on the pocket book to use a gasser over diesel according to my calculations over a year.
The one big beef I have with the Tundra is the size of the gas tank (22gal). With the bigger 5th I was constantly worried about where the next RV friendly gas station would be. But now the tank of gas lasts about as long as my bladder does (I still carry a 5 gallon gas can with me)
BTW, I was formerly a GMC guy but never looked back after I bought this.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2012, 02:52 PM   #30

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
If you want a cute truck then get a tundra.
If you want to RV get a real TV.

Old 11-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Smokefx - do you have the Cougar High Country 291RLS also? This model appears to be a good match for the Tundra. There are several of us on the Keystone forum that have this pair.

p.s.: The gas tank on my 2011 Tundra is 26.4 gallons.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:16 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering1
If you want a cute truck then get a tundra.
If you want to RV get a real TV.
Thanks For the input, guess I want a cute truck, only interested in a quarter ton truck. I really appreciate the input to the original question. Thanks for the information on the Tundra frame rust, I will definitely do the research.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:45 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcop20

Thanks For the input, guess I want a cute truck, only interested in a quarter ton truck. I really appreciate the input to the original question. Thanks for the information on the Tundra frame rust, I will definitely do the research.
A friend I work with pulls a Sabre 5er not as heavy as your rig. They have a slider hitch, but it takes up all of their pu bed. Good luck with your decision.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:51 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcop20
I have my mind pretty much made up about purchasing a 5.7 L Tundra with tow package as a TV. I'd like to know who tows with a Tundra and how you feel about how it tows. I know they are very reliable but are totally satisfied with it as a TV? Thanks

Mike
Oops..got lost in the thread replies. My friend tows with a 2011 Tundra and they have been very pleased with how it handles their Sabre.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:30 PM   #35

I had a 2007 Tundra that I just loved and would not have parted with it except that it was to heavy for our MH to tow. I had it weighed and it was 6700 lbs. and we have a 5000 lbs limit. They also need some type of transmission pump or change to tow flat and that was just to much and to hard on the truck so I traded it off for a Buick Enclave.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:17 PM   #36

In the 1/2 ton truck arena the Ford probably has the best frame and is most solid truck. The Tundra has a very powerful V8 engine but the frame is not as good as the Ford. Good equals torsion twisting resistance which is a very important consideration if towing or hauling. Did you test drive the Ford Eco-Boost model? I have a Popular Mechanics edition where they tested 1/2 ton trucks. They ranked the Trucks like this - Ford, Ram, Titan, Tundra, Chevy. This was before Fords newer engines.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:25 AM   #37

Thanks for all the information. This discussion has been very informative. I did own a brand new Ford Bronco II back in 1986. It seemed like every month it was in the shop for something with continued issues after the warranty expired. It cost me more money in maintenance costs than I've ever spent on a vehicle. I know improvements have been made over several decades. But from that experience, I really had an issue with Ford products. Ford is not totally out of consideration, but I'm really skeptical about their product. This isnít intended to start a brand war itís just that I had a really bad experience.

This purchase will not only be used as a tow vehicle but also for everyday use as well. So reliability is a big factor. I will be a casual traveler, not thousands of miles a year. Thatís why this purchase is so important, really looking for that dual purpose truck.

As mentioned I drive a Chevy Silverado presently and it has been a really reliable vehicle. I have a little over 90000 miles on it so far it has performed very good. So Chevy is a consideration also. Iíve only had a couple of mechanical problems with the current vehicle.

Thanks a lot and please keep the information coming.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:26 AM   #38

Correction - Popular Mechanics rated the 1/2 ton trucks with the Tundra being last because of more plastic in the interior and was the least refined truck. So the corrected finish was Ford, Ram, Titan, Chevy, Tundra. The PM issue was Jan. 2009. Again, since then Ford updated its engines. The Tundra is the same.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:53 PM   #39

Well this should conclude this thread. DW and I made several decisions over the past few months since we started this process. First decision made was we will not tow cross country unless we start camping and really fall in love with the life style. Therefore, I decided there is no need for enormous power in a TV. We will camp within the state of Texas for now. When we leave the state weíll utilize a motel for a few days at a time.

Next is I purchased a 2013 4.6L Tundra with tow package. Max towing is 8900 lbs so that means Iíll start with a small travel trailer. I will probably purchase a TT within the neighborhood of 5-6 thousand pounds. It will be used for weekends at our local lakes and within the state. I was correct in assuming you can get better deals on new vehicles at the end of the year. However, you have to not be concerned with things such as current year model, color, and available options. In my case the dealer had one 2012 Tundra 4X4, exterior color was white, 5.7L V8 with tow package. The sticker price was listed at $39,900; I could have purchased this vehicle for $32,900. The issue was I didnít want a white vehicle and definitely didnít want a 4X4. Needless to say the dealer wasnít as generous on the 13 models. I only got $2000 off sticker price. Oh well, at least I got the options and a darker color which were important options. I do love the sticker on the rear glass; Iím really excited about helping the economy here within my home state.

Thanks guys for all the valuable information you provided me in assisting with this decision. Next I will be deciding on the purchase of a small to medium size TT. Over the next few months I will be seeking advice from the TT section of the forum. Also thanks to the forum for providing a place where newbies like me can come and receive sound and very helpful information.

I couldnít figure out how to do the thumbnail thing so there are links below if you would like to view my new Tundra.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...a/100_2878.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...a/100_2879.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...a/100_2881.jpg
Old 12-30-2012, 12:52 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubwheat View Post
Thanks. I removed the tow hooks in the front and installed a Curt hitch rated at 500#, took all of 10 min. The carrier is lightweight, good for 400#'s. The scooter weighs about 370# wet, so I'm close to capacity but not over. The front carry has worked out great, and the scooter is a lot easier loading in the front than in the rear!
I sent you a PM before I saw this post, so nevermind! Great looking setup!
Old 01-04-2013, 08:51 PM   #41

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokefx View Post
I have a 2007 crew cab. I tow a fifth wheel and have had no problem towing it.
My 1st 5th wheel weighed over 10k and was 35ft long and 12.5 ft tall and I pulled it up Raton pass in excess of 60mph no problems or over heating. But because of the nose, it was like pulling a brick and my MPG suffered. On level or near level ground, I got around 5-7mpg. I live in "windy" country (Amarillo, Tx) so I got a feel for side wind stability in 30-50 mile an hour gusts. I up graded to heavier side wall tires and air bags that helped tremendously.
Then because of the length and space I could really do without (3 slide outs w/fireplace), I decided to get a 30' w/2slides that weighed about 7k and had a more aerodynamic nose. WOW, what a difference it upped my gas mileage by at least 2mpg, the handling is amazing.
Regarding the turning radius; with the new trailer I can turn well beyond 90* now but a touch could still happen. I mostly look for mountain campsites where backing in can be tricky. With this trailer I haven't come close to a touch.
As far as gas mileage goes it depend on where you go to camp. Up hill, head winds, bad. Down hill tail wind, good. I've averaged anything from about 11 to 6 depending on the overall topography of the trip. But it's still better on the pocket book to use a gasser over diesel according to my calculations over a year.
The one big beef I have with the Tundra is the size of the gas tank (22gal). With the bigger 5th I was constantly worried about where the next RV friendly gas station would be. But now the tank of gas lasts about as long as my bladder does (I still carry a 5 gallon gas can with me)
BTW, I was formerly a GMC guy but never looked back after I bought this.
I know what you are talking about when you refer to Amarillo wind, I lived in Amarillo for 26 years '67 - '94. I pulled a 31' cougar 8000 + pounds 5th wheel all over the Rockies this past summer, was there over a month 9 mpg pulling up the mountains to over 10k'. Averaged 12 mpg returning to Cleburne TX. Speed holding to 60 mph, any more than that the 5.7 was real thirsty. I have the 08 DC 5.7 supercharged, most of the trip was in S5, steep climbs were in S4 and never lost speed. My fuel tank holds 26 gallons of at least 91 octaine, the pit stop is welcomed when we need fuel.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:00 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcop20 View Post
Well this should conclude this thread. DW and I made several decisions over the past few months since we started this process. First decision made was we will not tow cross country unless we start camping and really fall in love with the life style. Therefore, I decided there is no need for enormous power in a TV. We will camp within the state of Texas for now. When we leave the state weíll utilize a motel for a few days at a time.

Next is I purchased a 2013 4.6L Tundra with tow package. Max towing is 8900 lbs so that means Iíll start with a small travel trailer. I will probably purchase a TT within the neighborhood of 5-6 thousand pounds. It will be used for weekends at our local lakes and within the state. I was correct in assuming you can get better deals on new vehicles at the end of the year. However, you have to not be concerned with things such as current year model, color, and available options. In my case the dealer had one 2012 Tundra 4X4, exterior color was white, 5.7L V8 with tow package. The sticker price was listed at $39,900; I could have purchased this vehicle for $32,900. The issue was I didnít want a white vehicle and definitely didnít want a 4X4. Needless to say the dealer wasnít as generous on the 13 models. I only got $2000 off sticker price. Oh well, at least I got the options and a darker color which were important options. I do love the sticker on the rear glass; Iím really excited about helping the economy here within my home state.

Thanks guys for all the valuable information you provided me in assisting with this decision. Next I will be deciding on the purchase of a small to medium size TT. Over the next few months I will be seeking advice from the TT section of the forum. Also thanks to the forum for providing a place where newbies like me can come and receive sound and very helpful information.

I couldnít figure out how to do the thumbnail thing so there are links below if you would like to view my new Tundra.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...a/100_2878.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...a/100_2879.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...a/100_2881.jpg
I only have one suggestion. Use this towing weight calculator to properly and safely match your new truck to a trailer.