Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2013, 10:46 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I only have one suggestion. Use this towing weight calculator to properly and safely match your new truck to a trailer.
That calculator is for fifth wheel trailers only. TTs have less hitch weight, so you can usually tow a heavier TT than 5er with a half-ton pickup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop20
Next is I purchased a 2013 4.6L Tundra with tow package. Max towing is 8900 lbs so that means Iíll start with a small travel trailer.
Double-check your specs. The max tow rating I see for a 2013 Tundra with 4.6L V8 is 8,600 pounds - that's a regular cab 4x2. Other cabs and 4x4s have less tow rating.

MAXIMUM towing is 8,600 pounds, but real world towing is a lot less than 8,600 pounds. The 8,600 pounds is the max trailer weight you can pull without exceeding the GCWR of your Tundra when there is absolutely nothing in the truck but a skinny driver. No passengers, no pets, no tools, no bedliner or bed mat - nothing.

And that "tow rating" ignores hitch weight, which is limited by the GVWR of your Tundra. Most half-ton pickups will exceed the GVWR before they get close to the GCWR, so hitch weight is your main concern, not trailer weight.

My pickup has a tow rating of 8,400 pounds, but my TT that weighs only 4,870 pounds when wet and loaded on the road overloads the pickup over the GVWR of the pickup.

So here's how to calculate a close approximation to the real-world max tow rating of your new Tundra:

1] Load the pickup with all the people, pets, tools, and options that will be on the truck when towing. Go to a truckstop that has a CAT scale and fill up with gas. Then weigh the wet and loaded pickup - including driver. If you already have the weight-distributing hitch you will be using when towing, then include the shank and ball mount installed in the receiver. If you don't already have the WD hitch, then add 50 pounds to the weight of the wet and loaded pickup.

2] Subtract the weight of the wet and loaded pickup from the GVWR of the pickup. The answer is the max hitch weight you can have without exceeding the GVWR of the pickup.

3] Divide the max hitch weight by 0.15 to get the max GVWR of any TT you should consider. The answer will be a lot less than 8,600 pounds.

When shopping for a TT, ignore dry weights and use only the GVWR of the TT for the max weight of the TT. If the specs for the TT do not include GVWR, then add dry weight plus cargo carrying capacity to get GVWR.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2013, 12:04 PM   #44

Thanks guys for all the useful information on weight capacities. I will definitely use the weight calculation process prior to making a purchase.

As said in my earlier posts, I'm in no rush, it took me 6 months to decide on a vehicle, maybe even be longer to decide on a TT. The DW is kind of backing out of this whole idea so we may even change directions. Although I would still like to have a small TT to stay at the lake from time to time.

SmokeyWren,

I appreciate the very useful information. I have cut and pasted your instructions into a file for safekeeping if I get the green light from the DW. With all the doubt about the direction we're going, I really couldn't justify the added expense of a larger TW. The vehicle is also for every day use. So we kind of sacrificed and bought in between. We'll see what happens, stay tuned as the drama continues. lol

Old 01-07-2013, 12:11 PM   #45

Born in Texas. Built in Texas. Profits to Japan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by toneumanns View Post
Born in Texas. Built in Texas. Profits to Japan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Welcome to the global economy. If you want to play, you're free to buy as many shares of Toyota (TM-NYSE) as you like and put the dividends in the bank.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:29 PM   #47

At least the Texan's that work in the factory have jobs here in America.
Cobra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:44 PM   #48

Well, justify it any way you like. It is still a Japanese company.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:50 PM   #49

Smokeywren didn't read that website. At the top of the page you select 5th wheel or TT. You get the correct calculator when you select travel trailer weight. It is quite accurate, even offers you the option to select your own safety margin.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:04 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Smokeywren didn't read that website.
Guilty. All I saw was fifth wheel.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:24 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
It is quite accurate, even offers you the option to select your own safety margin.
As with most generic calculators, it is not accurate at all unless you have the actual weights to plug into the blanks.

Using my truck as an example, and putting in all the weight ratings but none of the actual weights from a CAT scale ticket.

GVWR = 7,100
GCWR = 14,000
tow rating = 8,400
RGAWR = 3,850
max hitch weight = 1,050 with WD hitch
------------------
Calculate = max trailer weight of 6,900 pounds (GCWR minus GVWR = 6,900).

But in the real world of CAT scales, my TT when wet and loaded on the road weighs only 4,870 pounds (4,220 trailer axle weight), and I'm overloaded by 100 pounds over the GVWR of my truck.

Granted, if you plug in the actual wet and loaded weight (GVW) of the tow vehicle, that calculator comes close to the real world. In my case, if my wet and loaded GVW is 6,375, the calculator says my max trailer weight is 4,833.

With my actual GVW of 6,550, the CAT scale said I was overloaded by 100 pounds over the GVWR of the tow vehicle.

So I'll repeat a tried and true formula. Know the actual wet and loaded weight of your tow vehicle. Subtract that weight from the GVWR to get max hitch weight. Divide max hitch by 15% to get max travel trailer weight you can tow without being overloaded. A simple calculator that will do percentage is all you need to do the math. Or if you had a decent Jr. High school education, you can do it longhand and don't even need a calculator.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:40 AM   #52

This information has been really helpful. Before or if we buy a TT, I will load up the TV and head to the scales.

Thanks a lot!!
Old 01-08-2013, 10:51 PM   #53

Yep, you are correct smokeywren it requests actual weights, which is why I it's recommended.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #54

I could care less if my payment went to Japan. I buy vehicles that please me and fit my situation. If a company wants my business than build what I like. Growing up I liked Chevys, when I bought trucks for my hobby farm I faired better with Fords. Later, just to have a small utility vehicle I bought a Toyota Tacoma. I drove it everywhere, my daughter took it to college in Montana, my son inherited it to go to grad school on the east coast. It then took him to Florida and back to Washington state. It had well over 200,000 mi when it was stolen, run into a phone pole and stripped. Up to that point it only needed oil changes and tires. Our Highlander has 125,000 miles on it, my daughter's FourRunner has 120,000, my oldest daughter has 123,000 on her Corolla, and my youngest has a Yaris with close to 100,000. None of these vehicles has had anything other than regular maintenance. My extended family has owned many different products over the years, but Toyota has always worked for us. That's why I bought a certified '09 Tundra for our tow vehicle.

That being said, any of the major companies build good trucks. Wait for the next model replacement cycle and a different company will be voted "best." The most important point is stressed throughout this thread. Do not buy more trailer than your rig is rated to tow. Give your TV proper maintenance and love. If you want to skimp on peripheral costs find another hobby. And buy what pleases you and fits YOUR situation, not what the Ford guys, or the Chev guys, or the Mopar guys, or the Toyota guys say you should like.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:06 AM   #55

Mark,

Great points, when I started this thread I was looking for useful information. I think I really got some good information and just filtered out the stuff I thought had no use. The most useful of course was how to calculate the tow weights. The first question I had was how well the Tundra was as a tow vehicle? That was answered with bonus info on weight calculations. I do think it is pretty neat that I was able to buy the truck I wanted and contribute to my state's economy.

I agree with you 100%, buy what you want to buy and don't try to force what you believe on others. Most of us work hard for our earnings and we deserve right to buy what each individual desires.

With that being said, I would like to thank those who gave the great advice and as far as the rest of the remarks, it was quite entertaining.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:28 AM   #56

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I'm also looking at a 5.7 L Tundra...maybe when the 14's come out. Were on our 3rd 4-Runner, this one (2005) with the 4.7 L V-8. It is rated to tow 7200, right now I pull about 5k. Our 05' tt (24' hybrid 4500 wet) I got 11.5 to 12.5 MPG. The new 25' hybrid I get 10.5 to 11 MPG at best....I'm hoping the 5.7L in the Tundra can get that if I keep the speed down....

This 05' 4-Runner is a very smooth daily-driver....but having three 4-Runners (90', 99' & 05') it's time for a change....

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote