Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2013, 10:09 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
I'm also looking at a 5.7 L Tundra...maybe when the 14's come out. I'm hoping the 5.7L in the Tundra can get that if I keep the speed down......
The 5.7L is a beast. I test drove one before buying my 4.6L. At this time I just couldn't really justify the need for just under 400hp. My 4.6L sits at 310hp and it is such fun to drive, kind of hard not to drive it like a sports car. It's has not met the break in criteria for towing just yet. I do have a small bass boat to tow out to the lake for fishing, can't wait to see how it tows it.

By already owning Toyota products, you know exacty what you want to buy. You will love the Tundra, especially the 5.7L. If it comes a time where I'll need a little morepower there is no doubt it will be the 5.7L beast.

This is not my first Toyota either, I owned a Tacoma years ago. Found such a great deal on a left over Silverado back in 06 I couldn't pass it up. My son drives a Yaris and the DW drives a Camry.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2013, 11:46 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra1 View Post
At least the Texan's that work in the factory have jobs here in America.
And a good article from 2008. http://forums.motortrend.com/70/7115...-go/index.html

Old 01-13-2013, 12:06 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcop20 View Post
I have my mind pretty much made up about purchasing a 5.7 L Tundra with tow package as a TV. I'd like to know who tows with a Tundra and how you feel about how it tows. I know they are very reliable but are totally satisfied with it as a TV? Thanks

Mike
I tow a 31' 8k# 5th wheel and average 10+ MPG most of the time. My 2008 DC 5.7 does a real good job puling the load with OK milage as long as I keep my speed around 60 mph. The faster I go the more fuel she drinks but with that large front end 12' in the air and 8' wide on the 5r it's expected.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:34 PM   #60

I'm totally satisfied with mine. We have pulled it to north Alabama/Southern Tennessee, and Springfield Missouri from the northern panhandle of Florida. Like has been stated in the above posts, keep it at or under 60 and you will get around 10 MPG. around town, she will pass ANYTHING but a gas station, if you don't drive very conservatively. I can usually get 15-17 in town. Our town is built stop light to stop sign, so don't get into hi gear often.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:35 AM   #61

Update on my '08 Tundra...

...loud roar coming from drive train starting at about 35-40mph. Took it into the Toyota dealer here in Tucson, and found out that the right rear bearing is failing. This at 65k miles. It's going to cost me $1600 for replacement, as I am also having them replace the left side as a preventative measure.

After researching, I found that this is a known problem:

Service Bulletin Number : TSB-0151-10
Date of Bulletin : JUN 11, 2010
NHTSA Item Number : 10034128

Component : POWER TRAIN:AXLE ASSEMBLY:AXLE SHAFT
Summary :
TOYOTA: REAR ALE BEARING ABNORMAL NOISE. SOME VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT A HOWLING OR GROWLING NOISE FROM THE REAR OF THE VEHICLE THAT INCREASES WITH VEHICLE SPEED. CHANGES HAVE BEEN MADE TO THE REAR AXLE BEARING TO CORRECT THIS CONDITION. *PE

It sure would have been nice if I had known this before my powertrain warranty expired.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:08 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubwheat View Post
...loud roar coming from drive train starting at about 35-40mph. Took it into the Toyota dealer here in Tucson, and found out that the right rear bearing is failing. This at 65k miles. It's going to cost me $1600 for replacement, as I am also having them replace the left side as a preventative measure.

It sure would have been nice if I had known this before my powertrain warranty expired.
Sorry to hear of your mechanical issues. Anytime a service department lay a finger on a vehicle it gets expensive fast. Toyota never notified you of the issue? It might be worth the time and effort to try to get a partial or full reimbursed from Toyota since they failed to notify you. Sounds like you are just past the power train warranty.

I'd really bring it to their attention if I didn't get the notification. It may not do any good, but bet they would remember my name.

I did purchase the 84 month 100,000 mile power train warranty through Toyota. Those outside warranties have never provided any assistance when you need them. I am one who has a tendency to keep a vehicle long past the time the payments end.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:03 PM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
As is the case with most 1/2 ton trucks, the late 5.7L Tundra uses a 10.5" semi-floating axle. Since the single outer axle bearings along with the axle shafts carry the weight of the rear of the truck (including cargo and/or pin/tongue weight of a trailer), these bearings are one of the weak links in this design.

Most 3/4 or 1-ton trucks use a full-floating rear axle as shown in the photo of the AAM 11.5" axle below.

In this full-floating design, the axle shaft does not carry any weight - the weight is carried by outer hub assemblies that each have an inner and outer hub bearing and attach to the axle housing tubes at each end of the axle housing. Each of the axle shafts only transmits torque from the differential to its respective hub. The full-floating hub arrangement is much more robust in terms of weight carrying capability due to its multiple larger bearings.

Just something to consider, especially with the higher pin weight that a 5th wheel RV design (versus a TT) applies to the rear axle of the truck.

By the way, $1600 to replace the rear axle bearings is WAY STEEP unless there's more to the story than a simple bearing replacement.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:15 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
As is the case with most 1/2 ton trucks, the late 5.7L Tundra uses a 10.5" semi-floating axle. Since the single outer axle bearings along with the axle shafts carry the weight of the rear of the truck (including cargo and/or pin/tongue weight of a trailer), these bearings are one of the weak links in this design.

Most 3/4 or 1-ton trucks use a full-floating rear axle as shown in the photo of the AAM 11.5" axle below.

In this full-floating design, the axle shaft does not carry any weight - the weight is carried by outer hub assemblies that each have an inner and outer hub bearing and attach to the axle housing tubes at each end of the axle housing. Each of the axle shafts only transmits torque from the differential to its respective hub. The full-floating hub arrangement is much more robust in terms of weight carrying capability due to its multiple larger bearings.

Just something to consider, especially with the higher pin weight that a 5th wheel RV design (versus a TT) applies to the rear axle of the truck.

By the way, $1600 to replace the rear axle bearings is WAY STEEP unless there's more to the story than a simple bearing replacement.

Rusty
Good post, thx. This is a known problem with the '08 Tundra, and I don't think it towing related, as I am well under the limits. And, yes, in my haste I forgot to back out the cost of some other things I'm having done. So the cost of both bearing is closer to $1300.

BTW, truck is still not done and I'm not real happy with Precision Toyota here in Tucson.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:42 PM   #65

I just joined si I know I might be a little late however I just purchased a 2014 Open Range Light Fifth Wheel 297 and I tow it with a 2008 Tundra crew max. Tows just fine even in the High Sierras, plenty of power. No squat but a little body roll so air bags solved that with only 20lbs of air, Im very impressed with the truck but time will tell.