Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2012, 04:59 PM   #1

Toyota Tundra

I have my mind pretty much made up about purchasing a 5.7 L Tundra with tow package as a TV. I'd like to know who tows with a Tundra and how you feel about how it tows. I know they are very reliable but are totally satisfied with it as a TV? Thanks

Mike

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I'm a Toyota fan. My "other" car is a Toyota. My family members have owned Toyotas since 1973, and I've owned several Camrys and an Avalon over the years. But the Tundra is a few years behind the power curve. They don't offer a diesel in the USA, and their current engines cannot compete with the Ford EcoBoost. I owned a '99.5 Ford diesel for over 11 years, and it was great. But I wanted a half-ton this time since my heaviest trailer has a GVWR of 7,000 pounds. I looked at the new Tundra and the new Ford F-150 with the twin-turbo EcoBoost engine. I ordered the EcoBoost and took delivery right after the New Year, and it now has over 11,000 miles on it, with about 5,000 of those miles towing a 5k TT. I'm a happy camper, even if my tow vehicle is not a Toyota.

Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:41 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Toyota makes a fine truck...but it depends on what you want to tow if it will be a good TV or not.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:59 PM   #4

I had a 2010 Tundra with the large V-8 engine BUT I did not tow except short trips with a utility trailer. It certainly had all the power necessary and would accelerate like a rocket. Fuel economy was on the low side and I might get 15 mpg or so on a trip. It had most of the options available and was a very nice ride. My guess would be it would be a great tow vehicle if you keep within the weight guidelines.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:50 PM   #5

Thanks a lot for the information. I have owned several Toyotas throughout time, even now the DW drives a 2011 Camry and my son drives a 2010 Yaris. A few years back I owned a Tacoma. I am definitely sold on the brand, however since deciding to purchase a TT, the use of the truck has changed. I'm just trying to make sure the big Tundra will do the job. I do plan to stay at the 6000-7000 pound trailer weight when loaded.

I have read in the toy hauler section of several folks towing big toy haulers with a Tundra loaded with their equipment and their motorcycles. I'd love to hear what they have to say about it's towing capabilities. Again, thanks for the information.

Mike
Old 09-09-2012, 08:18 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Toyota make a fine truck and you need to be conservative with their tow ratings in the real world. I know two people towing with a Tundra and neither are please with the fuels economy. One is towing a 25' Airstream and get 8 to 8.5 mpg at 65 mph. The other one of the V-nosed travel trailers and is getting 7 to 8 mpg at 65 mph. performance is not an issue, just rather thirsty.

Ken
Old 09-09-2012, 09:08 PM   #7

TXiceman,

7-8 MPG is definitely low. MPG was not a concern until you posted that information. I've read here on the forum where 10-11 while towing is pretty common, 7-8 is not good at all. I'm the person who keeps a vehicle for years because I like to enjoy a few years of no payments, so purchases are definitely with that consideration. Even now I'm driving a 2005 Silverado with no payments since 2010. This was also a thought with the Tundra, I guess I should at least research other brands. I am not trying to start a brand war because I know folks have their favorites, I'm just try to do the research. My purchase won't be until Dec-Jan time frame. Thanks a lot for an eye opener.

Mike
Old 09-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #8

Drive a 2008 Tundra SR5 TRD 2 wheel drive with 5.7L V8 and the tow package. Bought it in May 2011. I have towed 2 different trailers across the country, a 2002 19' Forest River and a 2012 21' North Trail. No issues with either unit. The new trailer is heavier (duh it's longer too) but the Tundra hardly knows it's there. Plenty of power. Love the truck even though the gas mileage is not what I'd like, I did average 9.5 mpg on this latest trip from Tucson Az to Boston Ma.
meanman85745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #9

Meanman, thanks for the information. I was really hoping to hear from Tundra owners. 9.5 is not too far below the average MPG that I have been following on the forum. The average is about 11-12 MPG from the research I've done. Anyway I plan to tow nothing longer than 24ft with a top weight of not more than 5-7 thousand pounds. I think the Tundra tows about 8100 lbs according to the vehicle specifications. I figure realistically 7000 lbs max. Are you using the factory brake controller and hitch or did you upgrade? Again, thanks for the information.

Mike
Old 09-13-2012, 09:02 AM   #10

You're very welcome. My Tundra didn't come with a break controller although it was wired for one. I purchased one from Camping World and I also had to get the interface cable because the Toyota plug has a different pinout. I had it installed at Camping World, although it's not a big deal, just mount the bracket and connect the plugs. Didn't know that at the time though.
My hitch is factory and I use a weight distribution hitch (1000 lb bars) and friction anti-sway bar. I'm still messing with the hitch set up to get the heights right and I've never weighed the unit loaded. Gotta get to that. I'm hoping that the optimum hitch set up will get me that extra 1/2 mpg to get into double digits, but it might be wishful thinking on my part.
Travel safe.
meanman85745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:42 AM   #11

I pull a 2012 Arctic Fox 22H with my '08 Tundra, 4.7L engine. I consistently get 11 mgp @55mph. The Tundra is a regular cab, 4x4. It's been a great truck, no issues at all.

I've driven pretty much in the Western US, from WA to NM.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV_SilverCity_NM.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	287.7 KB
ID:	25981  
Old 09-13-2012, 09:49 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Hey, Bubwheat! Good lookin' scooter. What is that?
Old 09-13-2012, 09:56 AM   #13

Bubwheat,

That's a very nice looking setup you have. Thanks for the information!!! As mentioned, sharp looking scooter. I bet it's great for getting around the campgrounds quietly.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:01 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Hey, Bubwheat! Good lookin' scooter. What is that?
Thanks! It's a 2012 Kymco GTi300! Great lil' Scoot!