Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2014, 09:31 AM   #29

I have the same truck (2007) and used it for towing as well. I put in the Timbren system, and it works well. That being said, I am trading the truck in for a 2015 RAM 2500, as I feel it is time, and the Tundra is still pushing it's limit on axle weight rating. I have two trailers, one 8000 and one 10000 lbs, both Holiday Ramblers. When you add a Leer fiberglass cap, a Honda 3k generator, firewood, etc. even with the Timbren, it is overloading the rear axle. Please weigh your trailer. Don't go by dry weight, look at GVWR for the trailer. The 8000 lbs for my smaller trailer is ok, but don't go much heavier. I pulled my 8k trailer up a grade in Colorado that was 11,000 feet in elevation, and it did ok. We did a 27,000 mile trip to Alaska and around the country that lasted 9 months. The stock mirrors are ok on the Tundra, I feel. If you want, they make a towing mirror, but others have said they stick out too far. Get the P2 controller, you don't really need a P3, they both work the same and the display is easier and simpler to read. The rear camera came stock on my Tundra. Factory hitch is fine. Front parking sensors are really not needed. Since I am trading mine in, if you want the Timbren system, I'll sell you mine for $100 plus postage. Easy to install, just loosen the spring u bolts, and slide the old bumper stops out, and the Timbrens in. The cost new about twice that. I also have a Leer cap for sale. See this link:
http://nh.craigslist.org/pts/4662296560.html

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2014, 11:49 PM   #30

That truck cap looks sweet but I have an 8ft bed and I'm on the west coast. Thanks for the info, I will look into the P2 controller and stay well below the tow ratings. When the time comes for a larger trailer, I would go with a diesel and 5th wheel.

I will have the pass on the Timbren, I want a new one for warranty. I have seen the PDF install guide, the install process looks very easy which will be nice.

Old 11-02-2014, 09:24 AM   #31

2014 Crewmax here. I tow a 23 foot TT loaded at 5600 pounds. Equlizer hitch. I just towed it 2500 miles from NC to AZ. No issues, except for gas mileage. The Tundra didn't know the trailer was back there.

People tend to put down the Tundra because it isn't one of the big 3. People also forget the newer Tundras are designed to compete in the F-250/2500 class. I wouldn't have an issue with towing some of the fivers, except for small bed.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:14 AM   #32

I fail to see how they can compete with the 3/4 ton class of the big three. I compared the new Tundra from the bottom up, and everything in the 3/4 ton vehicles is twice as heavy, twice as rugged, and more importantly the weight carrying capacity (3200 lbs in the bed, axle capacity 6000 lbs, and 15,000 lbs towing capacity) and axle rating. That said, I just traded my Tundra on a 2015 RAM 2500 Crew Cab Laramie Longhorn with a 6.3 and 4.10 differential. I took delivery last Friday.....
Old 11-03-2014, 08:24 AM   #33

LA Gulf Coast Campers
I just bought a lighter better designed trailer. Same difference. Bigger Truck, or Lighter Trailer. I like lighter.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:18 AM   #34

If the Tundra was able to compete in the 3/4 ton class then Toyota wouldn't of had to lower the ratings after the SAE J2807 testing. There's nothing 3/4 ton about the tundra. If there was then they'd have 2500lb payload and 12-16,000lb tow ratings.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:23 PM   #35

Easy there cowboys. Dont get your "my truck's better than yours" panties in a twist. I didn't say it was the same as a 3/4 ton. I said it was designed to compete in that class. So, you Dodge boys go ahead and drive your trucks manufactured in Mexico. I'll drive my Tundra manufactured right here in the good old US of A. Oh yeah...I keep looking for those videos of any of the big 3 towing a space shuttle...can't find it.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:12 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatcop49 View Post
Easy there cowboys. Dont get your "my truck's better than yours" panties in a twist. I didn't say it was the same as a 3/4 ton. I said it was designed to compete in that class. So, you Dodge boys go ahead and drive your trucks manufactured in Mexico. I'll drive my Tundra manufactured right here in the good old US of A. Oh yeah...I keep looking for those videos of any of the big 3 towing a space shuttle...can't find it.
It's a 1/2 ton period. Toyota never designed it to compete with 3/4 tons. Good grief it doesn't even come close to having the payload ratings to compete with 3/4 tons. An F150 EB will blow away a Tundra in every category. I don't hear F150 guys saying their trucks are built to compete with 3/4 ton trucks. How can a truck that doesn't even come with a built in brake controller even be taken serious.

5th place out of 6 trucks.
2013 Light-Duty Challenge: Results - PickupTrucks.com Special Reports
Old 11-04-2014, 11:40 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatcop49 View Post
Oh yeah...I keep looking for those videos of any of the big 3 towing a space shuttle...can't find it.
First a 747 carried the Space Shuttle.
Then a VW Touareg towed a 747 on a deserted airfield to see what could be done.
Then toyota stages a tow of a gutted Space Shuttle in front of fans, lights, cameras with lots of pomp and circumstance.

You did find the video of the VW towing the 747, right?? Because that was actually impressive.

Old 11-04-2014, 03:20 PM   #38

The Tundra is a half ton truck, period. It was not designed, nor intended to compete in the 3/4 ton field. It is designed to compete in the half ton field. Amazing how nobody seems to know, or acknowledge the fact that the dollies under the Space Shuttle are self-propelled. They could have put a Fiat 500, Smart car, or a kid on a bicycle in front of it, and any would easily "tow" the Shuttle. The bridge they had to cross would be over it's weight limit with the Shuttle and Big Rig, so something else had to be done. Toyota saw that as a great marketing opportunity. Too bad they were not honest enough to say the dollies are self-propelled. In their defense, no other manufacturer, if doing the same thing, would likely say so either. Just a marketing opportunity to appeal to unknowing potential customers to give them the wrong impression of the vehicle's capabilities.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:32 PM   #39

I didn't notice there was anything about resale value or real quality in the pickup truck shootout. I sure wouldn't like to fork out to replace a turbo in Ford when the warrantee runs out!
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:15 PM   #40

You big three boys really hate it when another truck, just as good as yours, comes out...and people like it...but, you can have your opinion, just as I can have mine. It's the Internet!

Still, haven't seen a video of any of the big three pulling a shuttle. By the way, I'm a former Dodge 3500 owner....
Old 11-04-2014, 11:29 PM   #41

It won't be long before American cars will be kaput. Ford and GM will be a memory. Chrysler is already Fiat and slowly being phased out as FIAT replaces the current models with European ones.

We as Americans have lost the confidence in our own ability to do anything right. American cars and trucks are junk, so many say, especially the younger generation. We can't build cars without the Germans, Koreans, Japanese to show us how. We are just providing cheap labor for three of the mostly heavily unionized countries on the planet. Mercedes, Kia, Hyundai, Toyota, Nissan will eventually put the final nail in the coffin of American manufacturing.

Boeing is the next to fall. With Airbus now using our cheap labor to put Boeing out of business, even all the military contracts won't keep them afloat.
jamesgr81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 12:23 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk 96 View Post
I didn't notice there was anything about resale value or real quality in the pickup truck shootout. I sure wouldn't like to fork out to replace a turbo in Ford when the warrantee runs out!
Nobodies saying they're not good trucks. If they made a real 3/4-1 ton with a diesel I'd buy one in a heart beat. But I need a truck that can carry some serious weight. And 14-1500lbs of payload ain't cutting it. You can only take reliability so far. Guys that tow heavy need big trucks. Only truck with less payload is the Ram. Ford and GM both have higher payload capabilities.