Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2014, 07:17 AM   #43

CarBuzz: Must Read News About Cars. Latest Spy Shots, Hot Supercars, Amazing Tuners

Yeah, I saw the Toureg video. Here's another one...soccer mom dumps it on a big Chevy truck. Its all in how you look at it...

G-day, mates!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2014, 07:23 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatcop49 View Post
CarBuzz: Must Read News About Cars. Latest Spy Shots, Hot Supercars, Amazing Tuners

Yeah, I saw the Toureg video. Here's another one...soccer mom dumps it on a big Chevy truck. Its all in how you look at it...

G-day, mates!
Another classic... But your link redirects to the main page.
That's why I own both! My V10 TDI is one of the best vehicles ever made (if you're a gearhead).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20130804-00030.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	538.2 KB
ID:	78318  

Old 11-06-2014, 08:24 AM   #45

I think the Tundra is a great truck! I traded in a 2007 LTD double cab, and got 18k on a trade. Not bad for a 7 year old pickup. Try that with a Chevy and they won't give you a value like that. I also wish Toyota would make a 3/4 ton truck, but they have decided not to compete in that market. That being said, I needed a 3/4 ton truck for the suspension.... and the Dodge RAM met that need. A Laramie Longhorn Crew cab is a nice truck.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:30 PM   #46

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Last year they gave me 14k on a 2005 Toyota 4Runner (V-8) as a trade on a new 14' Tundra Limited double cab. Have no complaints about that. Was at the Toyota dealer today and saw a all-decked out 1794 for 66k. It had a lift kit, 33"s, bull-bars...All the after-market toys...
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 10:41 PM   #47

From Edmunds.com *

The Tundra is the only full-size truck to earn its tow rating using the heavily regulated SAE J2807 tow rating procedure, which places standards on cargo, options, occupant weights and other criteria that influence a truck's tow rating.

Toyota deserves acknowledgement for its willingness to adopt the standard and give consumers legitimate numbers. An honest comparison of tow ratings isn't possible because other manufacturers use their own internal tests which leave these criteria flexible to determine tow ratings.

The biggest side effect of inflated tow ratings is misleading fuel economy estimates. The EPA doesn't require manufacturers to certify trucks with numerically high axle ratios (for tow-rating heroics) when determining fuel economy. So remember that the claimed fuel economy number on the truck you're cross-shopping wasn't earned using the axle ratio that got that truck its high tow rating. Suddenly, Toyota's decision to include its biggest engine, highest axle ratio and trailering springs into one package seems both smart and simple.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:27 AM   #48

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Having owned a 14' Tundra with the 5.7L I'm getting about the same towing gas mileage as I was getting with the 4.7L in my 2005 4Runner. About 11-1/4 MPG. have gotten as much as 12+ MPG with the wind to my back. As low as 10-1/2 in very hilly areas.

Magic Towing Dust & J2807 Part 1 (Fastlane Truck)

Part #1

Magic Towing Dust Part 2 (Fastlane Truck)

Part #2
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 05:15 AM   #49

I have a 2012 platinum edition CM. I love the truck. When I am not towing i can get 15-16 MPG. When towing my 3500 pound DA harley trailer and 1 bagger, I get 7-10 depending on terrain and how much throttle I use.

The gas tank size is a PITA when you head west. The range on a tank of gas is about 200 miles per tank. I am looking at a 5er, so I am considering a 3500 Ram Dually. If i dont go with the 5er and go Motor home instead, I am putting a bigger gas tank in the tunrda.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:09 AM   #50

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoneDude 8289 View Post
We have a 2008 Tundra 5.7 with the tow pkg, 4.3 rear, six spd trans and oil and trans coolers stock, it is supercharged, 525 hp at the flywheel and 545 torque, doesn't even breath heavy in the mountains. Been towing 5ers with it since 2009. Have been to the Rockies several times and to the Cascades in Washington state a couple of times, have maybe 25k - 30k miles towing. Our first 5er was a 08 cougar 291RLS 30' with a GVWR 10,300#. We now have a 2014 Rockwood 8289ws 31' with a GVWR of 9,300#. The most I ever came across the scales at was 5er alone 8,900#, don't weigh every time, we generally take mostly the same stuff. The Tundra pulls and stops well, never felt like it was pushing us. Trailer brakes stop the trailer, if they don't check your brakes, controller or wiring. Happy with what we have, they are paid for.
I agree. I have a similar setup.
My trailer is much smaller and lighter.
The 5.7 works well for me.
My blower install is scheduled for the end of the month.
I can't wait.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:20 PM   #51

I'm pulling a Coachmen 23' trailer with a 2011 dbl cab. I have a Yamaha 3k generator mounted next to the cab, and a shell on the bed. usually carry two bicycles and folding chairs in the bed also. If I keep my foot out of the carburetor, I can get 10 to 12 miles per gallon. I have noticed a great reduction in fuel economy when running against a head wind. The trailer and the Tundra are a perfect match for my wife and I.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:34 PM   #52

Tundra

Had a 2012 Tundra 5.7 that we added air bags, E rated tires, and a brake controller to, and used it to pull a Rockwood Ultra Light 5th wheel around, probably went about 9k fully loaded. The Tundra could pull it fine on flat ground but, once you hit any grade the fun stopped. IMHO towing your camper around and hitting the road should be a fun experience. If being jerked around, engine revving like mad, and constantly searching for a gear is fun, more power to you.
Traded it in on a 2015 Ram 3500 SRW. Now we're having fun.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:13 PM   #53

My company truck is a 2014 Tundra Limited, had a 2009 Tundra before that. About 10 times a year I tow a 16' flatbed trailer that weighs 10,000# total with industrial machinery for trade shows on it. In December I towed that load from Pensacola to New York to Richmond, VA to Savannah, GA and back to Pensacola in 6 days. I think it was 3200 miles total. Just under 10mpg trip average running 65 mph on cruise in tow haul mode. That 5.7 continues to amaze me in how effortlessly it tows. I towed the same load to Portland and back to FL, via TX, Denver and Wyoming and the temp gauges never moved. Granted, the load is not flat across the front like an RV, but the truck handles the weight just fine with no sway issues. Sticker on the truck says it is rated for 10,800# towing. It is the extended 4 door cab version, not the crew cab. Great tuck in my experience.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:54 PM   #54

Tundra's are great trucks. Their engine line up needs to updated. Maybe with all the talk about Toyota going with the Cummins 5 liter diesel we'll see better towing performance and better mileage. The current 5.7 gas gets terrible fuel economy.