Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2015, 02:56 PM   #1

Retired Fire Service RVer's
TPMS for RV's and towed vehicles?????

Ok....I am ready to buy a TPMS system for our RV and towed vehicle but I am REALLY unsure as which is the better system. There is plenty of info out there but I need opinions from those of you who have "been there and done that"....thanks in advance.....JW

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2015, 03:05 PM   #2

EEZ RV TPMS

TIRE PRESSURE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (TPMS)

Works great for me. I have 6 on the MH, 2 on the dolly and 2 on the rear tires of the toad. 34' MH with the dolly and toad. No repeater needed.

69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 04:47 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have a TST on my TT. I waited to the last minute to install it before a trip. I called them up and they walked me through every step as I did it. Works great, shows tire temp and PSI. I charge up the main unit and it stays charged for many hours. It won't prevent a flat but it might prevent destroying the tire and rim.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 07:30 PM   #4

Went through the same deliberations you are a little over a year ago. Finally decided on TST, and am very happy with them.

Planned on getting the flow-through but the order taker talked me out of them for which I'm very happy. The std sensors work great and are easy to take on/off if I need to air up and the flow-throughs would have been too tall and stuck out too much.

Order taker also talked me into getting a repeater, I've never used it. I'd recommend you not waste your money on that option, you can get it later if needed but I doubt you will.
Old 12-01-2015, 07:54 PM   #5

I think all the major brands will work just fine. I went with EEZTire because I liked the display. The display is identical to the TST system but was a little cheaper at the time.
Besides EEZ Tire and Truck System Technologies (TST) take a look at Pressure Pro and Tire Minder. They will all do the job, get the one who's display makes the most sense and has replaceable batteries on the sensors.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 12:11 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have TST. Their customer service is great. When I called, someone answered the phone, a living, breathing human with a southern accent.

I showed the system to my brother in law, and he has ordered a system for his toy haulers. He had a tire blow on a fifth wheel years ago and is now happy that he will have a good chance of catching a potential blow out before it wrecks his fender well or potentially causes him to lose control again.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:38 PM   #7

I use TST. Its professional grade, very much to the point, no gimmicks. Works fine. Although, if the tire starts separating, there is still chance of trailer damage before pressure actually drops. Since my TV has its own TPMS, I use 4 sensors only for the trailer. Did not have a chance to replace sensor batteries yet after 1 year.
Old 12-03-2015, 11:18 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The TST also has a temp reading on it for each tire. If a wheel bearing goes bad things will get hot before everything hits the fan. So if I see a tire get hotter than the rest it will be time to check. Never needed this yet but peace of mind is great.
Old 12-04-2015, 05:12 AM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Paramedic 1-

Below are links to three recent iRV2 threads on TPMSes.

We use the Tire-SafeGuard system.

Mark

Tire Presure Systems

Quality TPMS
(see post number 16 for links to many of the different TPMS products)

TPMS recommendation
Old 12-04-2015, 05:46 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
TST is about to release a new color display... Mike is going to post pictures soon. He also said they would be accepting orders from iRV2 members...with a release sometime first quarter 2016.

I have the current 507 model with 6 sensors...I now need 6 more sensors to go with the motorhome we've ordered. I'm waiting to see what the color display looks like, and hopefully get a package with 6 sensors to complete my setup.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:13 AM   #11

I use the TST system and have internal sensors on the 4 trailer tires so they are flow-thru. They are supposed to have a 7 yr battery life. I've had two fail prematurely and TST replaced them for free. But then I had to cover the cost of unmounting and remounting the tires.

I use external sensors on the truck rear tires since I remove them when not towing.

For me, the big value with internal sensors is the increased sensitivity and accuracy of the temp readings compared to external sensors. I'm more likely to detect a dragging brake shoe or dry bearing with the internal sensors.
dayle1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 08:19 AM   #12

I just spend the money on quality US Made GY "G" or "H" tires and don't worry about it!
Old 12-05-2015, 12:06 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
I just spend the money on quality US Made GY "G" or "H" tires and don't worry about it!
You really can't not worry about, IMO. The tires are your **Only** connection to the road. Nothing else that is on the vehicle for your safety can really do as much for your safety as your tires. You can never really know enough about your tires, and TPMS tells you what you need to know while in motion. No other thing that I know of can give you that info while in motion.

Again, all just my opinion. $260 is cheap insurance.
Old 12-05-2015, 12:47 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I never had TPMS before. But now I can see the PSI in the TT and TV before and durring travel. would not be without it.

Tags
rvs, tow