Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2015, 10:55 AM   #1

TPMS Tire Monitor Systems

Hi All I know this has been been posted last year and there are different views.
I have a 1998 Dodge CTD to old for factory TPMS and I have been looking at an aftermarket systems under two hundred dollar and with support here I know some are out loud but, here's the other part I want it in Bluetooth with a phone app available. I've looked a couple Papa'Go and Fobo(has a 50lbs. max). What's your thoughts?
Now I been using the old tried and true way for a long time a quality tire gauge (have it and proven) and the fill test (not scientific but works)switching to infrared Thermometer-NC @HF between 20-35 dollars an the accuracy is a lot better then palm of your hand. This is just fine besides getting some exercise and a break from driving. There are times we just want to get there.
But what happens when you pick up some road debris or have a total tire failure I don't want to risk my passengers, equipment and others around for something I may be able to monitor or be notified of with a TPMS.
Like I said I may be asking for to much. Oh on a last note (for now) what I've seen a lot of failures could be coming from the valve stem and I may be changing over to metal when servicing or replacing tires.
guestPacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2015, 06:40 PM   #2

Will I was looking for a little insight but everyone was probably still laughing. Early this morning ran across an auction on a new never in stalled Eez RV TPMS with 10 sensors kit and I was a winner and yes it was a little over the 2 hundred I was inquiring about on my post (not much though ). But it was a good deal and I look forward to setting up and running.
Happy Trails

Just wanted to mention that I spoke to Eez RV tech support and I told them what I did and he was very helpful. Sent me a You tube video for set up and a revised owners manual PDF file and a couple pictures of tire stem helpers if needed when not using metal.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:50 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If these sensors are the type that fit on the end of the valve stems, I would switch to all metal valve stems. Heard there's less chance of busting the valve stem that way.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:42 PM   #4

Already changed over on my two new replacement tires but you would be surprised of the different style and types of valve stems. Years ago a lot of truck tires stems that appear to be rubber have brass tubes cast inside and not just on the cap ends.
Some Rv'ers run them without the anti-theft (outer case) to decrease thesize to even smaller
Old 04-26-2015, 05:56 AM   #5

I also have been looking at the systems that install on top of the valve stems for our 26RL TT. the prices are all over the place, from low $100 up to $400. how well do this systems work ?

Jim
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 02:20 PM   #6

rideandslide I have attached a setup link that Eez Rv tech support was nice enough to pass on.
Link to TPMS set up and PR video: http://youtu.be/n9LYyvIvcGk
Yes the prices seem to vary like you mention. a couple of things I looked at were ease of reading monitor (it's hard to tell on a computer M. but they'll have specs.)
the ability to change batteries and "O" ring and seal kit
wiring kit
able to add sending unites
ability to hand carry monitor when doing pretrip inspection
Tech support and limited warranty
The setup I have has no warranty (not transferrable) but their guy's was willing to talk to me even after I informed them I purchased used(never installed) on line. Which puts them high on the list to look at their other products they sell if needed.
I've looked at old postings where some Rv'ers have tried a couple different distributors (name brands). A lot of these unite are going to be made off shore and the distributors name is really what your looking at.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:39 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
TMS

There a Pressure Pro systemw/ brand new sensors in IRV2 classifieds
ARFFMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:05 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have the TST system for my TT and would have no other. It works great. I waited till the last minute to install it before a trip and they helped me set it up late in the day, over the phone. They said any time I have an issue, just call them.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 02:49 AM   #9

Just wanted to give update on my Eez TPMS first time out with newly acquiredsystem and trailer for the season. Things went well on all eight tires on theway up. I knew the 4 trailer tires were aging and had already been weighting the options of 2 or 4 new after returning but to give myself a little better filling I took two spares and thank goodness I did. I first was a tread and sidewall blow out on the way back home. it looked like a baby alien had tried to come out the tread(possible belt failure?) alarm went off hit the emergencies pulled over and accessed what had happened to tire. Made an attempt to crawl 3/4 of a mile to a weight station area posted, about 50 yards down decided to change it. Threw down a tire chalks and cones and had it changed in about 20 min. would of been less but the threads needed some anti-seze which I put on before putting the nuts on. an the second was 7 mile from home after running over a series of rough railroad tracks a T. stem failed and the low tire alarm went off
Let me assure you that I felt that there was no danger to me or other around for my 200 mile one way outing but hauling two spares come from my earlier racing and hauling days spares ( being parts or tires) do no good back at your shop when your not there
I did notice that the first tire I put on was a different make the then others and ran about 8 degrees cooler. a good reason to run all the same make or at least in pairs when possible.
Got a lot of work done on my propertyalso