Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2014, 01:42 PM   #15

We had a 30' TT and I bought a Pro-Pride anti sway WD hitch. Go online and check it out. After about a month of research I decided on this one. Best money I have spent on the TT.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2014, 12:40 PM   #16

I would stay away from any hitch that has chains. In some cases they can enhance sway because of the trampoline effect caused by trailer movement. Sway control brackets try to stop what the chains just allowed. Seems backward to me. I feel that the Hensley or newer Propride offer the best solution but are out of most peoples affordability. The Equalizer has proven itself and the local Airstream dealer sells that hitch to 95% of their customers. There are copycats to this hitch that are good such as the dual cam but start with a proven concept and you can't go wrong. The noise on most Equalizers is caused by movement on the A frame brackets. Those are two of the anti sway control points so a little noise is ok. My question is, a little noise rarely or more sway? I'll pick less sway. You want no noise and no sway and bullet proof construction Propride every time. Peace of mind when towing is worth more to you everyday, get the best you can and enjoy the open road.
For the record I use an Equalizer hitch and couldn't be happier!

Old 03-10-2014, 08:05 AM   #17

I have a theory that I would actually like some technical assesment of:

We know trailer sway is reduced by good loading and leveling of the trailer and having lots of weight on the hitch. But this, in turn, makes most people get a WD setup which offsets (sort of) both the direct weight on the ball and the attitude of the trailer, thereby making it neccessary, again, to have mechanical sway control. I know it's a fine line that a lot of big TT's are way past just due to weight vs TV. But for a mid-size camper and a modern/capable TV it is relevant.

Here's why I am wondering:
In the last 2500 miles of towing my current setup, I have never had any sway with my trailer (27'+ bumper to hitch) and have never used any extra equipment because of self leveling airbag suspension, E-sway control and a heavy, iron block diesel engine out front to offset the hitch weight, not just torque. Many modern vehicles have E-sway control. Both my '06 VW and my '12 Ram have it.
Tow vehicles have come a LONG way in the last 10-15 years and I think the hitch game has changed because of it. Especially the electronics controlling the TV.
My Ram is a 2500 with regular leaf springs (no airbags), but with 600-700lbs on the hitch, it's not really affected. In fact, it's happy that way.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:43 AM   #18

2 things creates sway when towing.
1. The trailer has to be looked at as a unit with steering front wheels. The steering is done by the TV.
Imagine loading a car or truck at the rear with no weight on the steering axle, the front will be all over the road and very unstable. Load properly with proper steering axle loading and its very stable.
Now applied to a TT its important that hitch (steering axle) have proper load to be stable. Now the trailer is balanced and stable. A truck with a heavy front end and short rear axle distance to hitch can tow well and possibly never needs sway control equipment.
But load a light front end vehicle with addition rear end weight that removes weight on the already light steering axle and its a disaster waiting to happen.
Now comes the WD hitch. The purpose is to load the front steering axle and properly balance the load. To much lift removes hitch load and rear axle load. Not enough will not load enough on the steering axle.
Now comes the WD design. The bars are set on the TV hitch so that they will tend to center the trailer and TV. Raise the rear end of the TV to high and the effectiveness of the hitch centering is lost.
2. A TT with light load on the hitch is disaster waiting to happen, and absolutely nothing can be done other then having a heavy vehicle that can control the toad weight.
I have a 3500 lbs service trailer and depending on the loading the 8000 lbs truck sometimes needs to be driven carefully not to cause any sway. So if the trailer has not enough hitch weight the sway can never be controlled.
For me the loading and design of the TT has everything to do with sway and simple basic well adjusted WD can go a long way to prevent disasters and add towing comfort.

I never needed to use WD and when towing heavy I use the trailer loading procedure.
I went cross country with a Uhaul trailer loaded to 5000Lbs towed with a loaded 2800 lbs car and it was stable without WD hitch. Not that I recommend but it can be done.

None of the above applies to 5th wheel setup because the TV axles are the trailer steering axles and loading never affect the TV steering axle other then located behind the rear axle.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:49 AM   #19

Happy with my Reese DC
Old 03-11-2014, 01:26 PM   #20

About the Equalizer noise, just put a thin coat of axle grease on the tongue brackets and the noise goes away, as explained in the instructions.

I have the Equalizer on my enclosed car trailer and a Reese Dual Cam on my TT. I needed the Reese because my TT tongue weight is higher than the highest capacity Equalizer. I installed both systems myself. But work fine but I personally prefer the Equalizer system because it's a lot easier to do the initial install and doesn't require drilling into the trailer tongue.

I haven't been able to notice any real difference between the two in terms of sway control. The only sway issues I've had is due to insufficient tongue weight in my car trailer, which obviously isn't due to the WDH.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:15 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondavalk View Post
Happy with my Reese DC
X2
Old 03-20-2014, 09:39 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewtk View Post
About the Equalizer noise, just put a thin coat of axle grease on the tongue brackets and the noise goes away, as explained in the instructions.

I have the Equalizer on my enclosed car trailer and a Reese Dual Cam on my TT. I needed the Reese because my TT tongue weight is higher than the highest capacity Equalizer. I installed both systems myself. But work fine but I personally prefer the Equalizer system because it's a lot easier to do the initial install and doesn't require drilling into the trailer tongue.

I haven't been able to notice any real difference between the two in terms of sway control. The only sway issues I've had is due to insufficient tongue weight in my car trailer, which obviously isn't due to the WDH.
The instructions with the Equalizer hitch mention that you should grease the hitch head where the bars attach on the upper and lower surfaces. There is no mention of greasing the tongue brackets. Refer to step 10 in the installation manual. That would eliminate 2 of 4 sway control points. They do sell tongue bracket jackets that you could use if there is too much noise. There will be more noise initially because the paint on the bars is wearing off and the two surfaces are breaking in. Best procedure is to sand off the paint with fine sand paper so as to not leave scratches and this will speed up the break in process. Don't remove more paint than necessary from front to back, will allow more rust. I have very little noise from my bars and couldn't be happier with this hitch