Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2012, 06:15 PM   #1

Trailer brakes locking

We have a 2006 F350 6.0L Diesel 4WD (rated to tow 12,500) and towed our TT (weighing in loaded at around 6800 lbs) for almost a year and then on one trip back in June when applying a moderate amount of braking the TT's brakes seemed to lock up briefly during a moderate braking but for just a second. There was no skidding and this was on regular road pavement and this only occurs when I have to apply a good bit of brake pressure. The only way we found to get rid of the issue was to lower the brake controller from down to around 3.5. Of course this is lessening the trailer brakes and slide mechanism on the controller. We since bought a 5th wheel (dry 10,200) in August and we have the exact same issue happening. I was hoping that on the TT that it is was a brake adjustment issue. And again, this is only alleviated by lowering the controller down to 3.5 or so in the truck which I don't do because of the weight we're now pulling. If it's any help, with the 5th wheel we're using a new 7-way plug that was installed in the bed. The brake controller is the factory model that came with the Ford. Any help or opinions on how to correct this is greatly appreciated!

Fayne

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2012, 08:37 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
You had 2 units doing the same problem the issue might be in the controller not the TT maybe just need to change it out for a better model controller

Old 09-11-2012, 09:35 PM   #3

That is my thinking as well. Thanks! Just curious as to how this one went faulty with such low mileage on the truck. But I am sure if happens.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:31 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
fmoore,
You might want to get on the powerstroke forums and do some checking there, there might be a fix for your problem there. I am not familiar with the integrated controllers, but if I remember correctly, there was an update or program fix for them. The people at the powerstroke forum will be able to help you, or you can do a search and find out what the others are doing.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:08 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
If the powerstroke forum don't have a fix look at this unit on ebay

Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller w/Ford wiring harness | eBay
Old 09-17-2012, 10:49 AM   #6

This is most likely not your problem but I would like to share what happened to me. I got backed into a campsite and got out to check a few things on position of camper. when I got back in the cab I noticed there was a reading of 3.0 on my controller. I could hear a buz at the camper wheels. I unpluged at the bed and re pluged and problem was gone. Once I got home the problem was back. For some reason I got the idea to take my toe and pull up on the break pedal and the controler went to zero. I worked the pedal several time and the problem was still there. I dont have to pull up on the break but a heavy 1/8th inch to get it to go to zero. It rarely does it anymore and never going down the road. Just when parking.

Just passing it on
Johnny
Old 09-17-2012, 03:57 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you have the Ford Integrated Trailer Brake go to www.thedieselstop.com and ask over there. There are Ford techs that hang out there. Chances are you will get a response. But I suspect an issue with the trailer brake, and if it is a Ford controller, you will probably end up taking it in.

A longshot idea is to check the wiring to the trailer brakes for fraying or possible shorts. I haven't heard this as a symptom, but ya never know.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes