Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2016, 09:37 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Trailer dry rate and realistic cargo

We currently have a new F150 with a tow rating of 9100 lb. We have looked at trailers and they all list a dry weight and gvwr. At similar gvw, cargo capacity seems to vary from 1500 to 3500 lb. All trailers in the 26ft range. What is a realistic cargo weight? Just trying to understand what is real as if 20p0 lb would be a fair number some of these trailers would be overloaded, whIle others have a large safety margin.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2016, 09:53 PM   #2

Normal weight of my 25' camper is 1500 lbs over the alleged dry weight, 400 lbs under GVWR.

Don't forget options aren't included in dry weights.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:13 PM   #3

It sorta depends on what type of floor plan you get as well as what type of storage is available on the TT.
We had a 31' TT prior to our 5th wheel. It really didn't have much in the way of big storage areas. We put about 900+/-lbs in it. But some of that was having two batteries and carrying a full fresh water tank.
Our current 5th wheel we carry 1500lbs. Partly because we have more room but also because we carry our bikes, gen, lawn chairs, 3 burner Camp Chef, 4 6V batteries, etc in it. With the TT we carried all that in the trucks bed.
From my years of reading the net about how much weight people carry it seems that 1000lbs is about average. 200lbs either way should make or break the deal.
It's important to me at least that the trailer have a high CCC. My TT had around 2400lbs of CCC and my 5th wheel has 4300lbs of CCC.
The higher the better IMO. It's less taxing on everything.
I've seen some TTs and 5th wheels with CCC under 1000lbs. Then people wonder why they have issues.
Another thing to look at is your trucks CCC. Make sure you have enough for everyone and everything in the truck as well as the TT tongue weight. Add the WDH in to.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:31 AM   #4

Pick the trailer based on the GVWR

IF truck can properly tow it without going over trucks ratings then you will not end up overloaded.

How much you load into trailer is based on how many of you there are.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:11 AM   #5

The GVWR vs Dry is really based on the frame and axles. Ours has 2200 of cargo, but friends have less than 1,000 because they have an ultra light, so the frame is lighter and can't accommodate as much extra weight. Our sticker says 7,050 empty. We weighed on the CAT scales, and it is 8,300 loaded for camp. It might be a few hundred more now with new stuff we carry around now. We have the 16 F150, and with the payload and combined weight we are in the limits of the truck.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:57 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the replys. We are looking at a TT that has a dream weight of 5900 lb with a gvw of 9300 lb. That puts it 200 lb over our F150 tow rating. It seems from the thread, we'll likely be well under the gvw with normal loading.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:03 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcpe View Post
We are looking at a TT that has a dream weight of 5900 lb with a gvw of 9300 lb. That puts it 200 lb over our F150 tow rating. It seems from the thread, we'll likely be well under the gvw with normal loading.
Sharpen your pencil. The tow rating is wildly overstated. You'll exceed the payload capacity of your F-150 way before you get close to the tow rating.

A TT with GVWR of 9,300 will probably gross around 8,000 when wet and lightly loaded on the road. 8,000 trailer weight with average tongue weight will be around 950 pounds tongue weight, and over 1,000 pounds hitch weight when you add the weight of a good weight-distributing (WD) hitch.

The payload capacity available for hitch weight is the GVWR of the tow vehicle (TV) minus the wet and loaded weight of the TV. If your truck doesn't have at least 1,000 pounds of payload capacity available for hitch weight, then you're probably going to be overloaded with that trailer.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcpe View Post
Thanks for the replys. We are looking at a TT that has a dream weight of 5900 lb with a gvw of 9300 lb. That puts it 200 lb over our F150 tow rating. It seems from the thread, we'll likely be well under the gvw with normal loading.
You aren't going to load 3100lbs in that TT. GVWR of the TT is meaningless. You want to look at the TTs factory weight sticker. It's the weight that the TT weighed when it left the factory. Don't worry about added options. Dealers aren't going to load 500-1000lbs of extras in the TT after it shows up. Most added options replace something so the weight is minimal.
A TT can have a GVWR of 20,000lbs but a dry weight of 6000lbs. It doesn't mean that you can't tow it with a truck that can only tow 10,000lbs.
Figure 1000lbs added to the TT stickers weight and that's what you're towing. Figure 12.5% of the loaded TT for tongue weight.
Most important is what you truck can carry. That info is on the door jamb. It's a weight capacity sticker. It tells you how much cargo weight you can put inside the truck.
If your TT weighs 6000lbs and you add 1000lbs then you're at 7000lbs.
12.5% of that is 875lbs for the tongue weight.
If your truck can CARRY 1500lbs then you have 625lbs after you hitch up.
625lbs for passengers and any camping stuff you want to put in the truck.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:35 AM   #9

What TT with a dry weight under 6000 pounds has a CC of 3400 pounds? Something does't smell right.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:26 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ok, getting a number of ideas so I'll try to clear things up a few things up.

My F150, super cab, 145in wheelbase and 5.0L V-8. GCVW 14,200, Curb Weight 4,700lb, GVWR 6900lb, CCC 2200 lb from Ford's website

Potential TT is a Forrest River Salem Hemisphere Lite 263RL, Per their Brochure, Hitch wt (I assume when dry) 643 lb, Dry wt 5845 lb, CCC 3589, GVW 9384.

If I assume that the dry wt is correct, the hitch wt is around 11% of the trailer wt. if one loaded up to the max GVW of 9384 that's about 1032 lb hitch wt. However, that would leave only about 120 lb for everything in the pickup, based on the GCVW which is not realistic.

However, if the Dry weight is in fact correctly stated, and assuming around 2000 lb of cargo in the trailer, at 7845 lb trailer , a hitch wt of 862 lb. I think I would appear to be reasonably within the GCVW limits. This would leave an allowable truck wt of 6335, lb, minus 4700 for the truck plus 862 lb hitch leaves only 773 lbs for truck stuff which I question as being enough.

What I am trying to figure out is what can I actually carry as a TT, hitch wt, and still leave something for the two of us, and some stuff in the truck. Obviously the 9100 lb towing wt is overstated, when all else is considered.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:08 PM   #11

Don't forget the GCWR of 14,200. If your empty truck is 4,700, the trailer PLUS anything else you carry is limited to that 9,500 remaining. Payload seems good, for you, the family and the hitch weight. But the weight of the camper, plus your family, plus the stuff you bring in the camper or the truck bed is all adding to the GCWR. I think you are OK, but then I'm driving a similar tuck and my rig is 8,300lbs. I'm close, but under the limits. I trust the manufacturer specs and stick under them. Others think they are wildly over stated and they subtract some weight for safety.
Old 08-04-2016, 03:18 PM   #12

You need to look at the trucks door sticker not the web site. The web site is for bare bones trucks. Once you add more trims the CCC goes down. It could be as low as 1500lbs if you have a Platinum trim. Anything like running boards, etc, deducts from the web site CCC. Until you look at the trucks sticker on the door jamb all this is moot.
Also you can't carry over the dry weight percentages for figuring your tongue weight. You will add a battery, propane, stuff in the front cargo and under the bed. Anything loaded in the TT in front of the wheels will add to the tongue weight.

What year is the 263RL? I don't see any listed on the Forest River site.
Old 08-04-2016, 04:07 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
The door sticker on the Ford gives a GVW of 6900 and CCC on 2178, so its very close to the website. I don't find the GCVW on the sticker so am using the website.

I believe the trailer is a 2015, as the brochure I have from the dealer is 2015, and the new one does not show that model. From what I am reading and hearing, I think the 2000 of cargo in the trailer I used in my analysis is very generous, and not likely to actually reach that weight.
Old 08-04-2016, 05:36 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Pay attention to Smokeywren. The 9100# tow rating is based on a stripped base model truck with a 150# driver. Add cargo, accessories and passengers and this number reduces drastically. With a loaded truck I suspect a trailer in the 7200# (loaded) will pretty much have you at the limits. So a dry weight would be in the 5000 to maybe 6000# range.

You need to weigh the truck loaded with full cargo, passengers and hitch (add 150# if you do not have one yet.

GCWR - loaded truck = max loaded trailer weight.

GCWR - loaded truck = max loaded trailer tongue weight.

GCWR should be in the owners manual for your specific engine, axle ratio and cab.

A travel trailer will generally have a tongue weight in the 10 to 13% (maybe 15%) of the trailer GVWR when loaded.

Ken