Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2019, 06:11 AM   #1

Trailer for '15 Sierra 1500

Hi all, I have looked through threads and gained some good insight so thank you for all who have had input on similar questions.
But, as every situation is a bit unique, I wanted to seek some thoughts on picking a new trailer.

TV:
2015 GMG Sierra 1500 SLT
4WD Crew cab
3.42 Rear axle
Trailer weight max 9200lb
Max tongue load 920 lb
GCVW 15,000 lb

Family of 4, currently planning a 6+ month trip from Eastern Canada, through Florida, west coast, through British Columbia and back to east coast.

We would like something with some room as it will be full time use and that can handle the mileage (and terrain), we intend to put on it.
I am wary of the quality of some ultra lights for this type of trip but recognize tow limitations also.

Tired of hearing 'no problem' from salesman when questioning what I can tow.

Based on everything I have seen, it looks like I should stay in the 6000 lb range for loaded trailer weight. So maybe as low as 4500-4800lb dry?

No trailer, so I can't weigh axles, etc. at this point to confirm the set up.

Thanks for any input.

FYI - currently pulling '74 Boler so this has never come up.
NS Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2019, 01:13 PM   #2

Max tongue load 920 lb

At 15% tongue weight......6000# GVWR trailer
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:17 PM   #3

Do you have your route figured out yet? If not, to do it right it might be 14,000 miles as you may need to make multiple trips north to south to see some really cool landscape. Would some of the kids like to stay in a good tent? Can you put a cap on the truck to sleep one or two people?

The kids may not like the bunks. I know cases where the kids prefer staying in a tent and one case a little boy sleeps on the dinette bed vs the bunk. The bunk was too confining he said. His grand parents thought the bunk was good but it was not. Now it is used as a storage shelf.

The smaller and easier to tow trailer the better.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:20 PM   #4

Its just two of us and we tow 6500# with the same setup you have and have no problems at all. BUT your possibly going to be much heavier. I would run some numbers and see were your at. one thing is the tires on your 1500, check the rating. I don't think power is going to be a problem, if it is on a hill just shift down a gear and go slower big trucks do it all the time. you really need to know what the trailer is going to weigh ready to camp.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 06:56 PM   #5

I have the same truck as you but a 14, double cab and live/tow in bc. 3.42, 5.3, 4x4. My payload is 1788lbs so i wasnt worried over tongue weight, but we towed a 31' travel trailer weighing in at 8000lbs loaded. It handled the weight fine and could have kept up to speed towing through the mountains but the trailer had too much leverage with its length. Had to drive 10-20km/h under the limit or trailer started to decide where we went. We were within all our weights according to the scale but was by no means safe or enjoyable. I'm still pretty young dumb and stubborn but that trailer hasnt moved in the two years since that experience. Long story short, length is just as important as weight.
Cheeto2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 07:44 PM   #6

Should say i have wdh, airbags and load range E tires. Have towed the same weight with shorter trailers on the same route in the snow without any issues
Cheeto2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:41 PM   #7

For that kind of trip, if it is at all feasible, I would look at trading that truck in for a 3/4 ton, diesel or gas, but preferably diesel. I am not saying you need to, but a 3/4 ton diesel would make for a much more relaxing and enjoyable trip. You could flip the truck after the trip if you didn't want to keep it for probably pretty close to what you paid for it if you got the right deal. And that would allow picking up a trailer that has enough room for that sort of adventure.
jjackrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:46 PM   #8

I can agree with jjack.

To make the trip more enjoyable a trailer with the back 3rd sectioned off as a 'bunk room' which typically sleeps 3 kids I think would be the cats meow. Some floor plans have a 1/2 bathroom for the kids.

And as jjack recommends a bigger truck to pull a bigger trailer makes a lot of sense. A 6 month trip is a long time to be uncomfortable in a trailer that is too small.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Do you have your route figured out yet? If not, to do it right it might be 14,000 miles as you may need to make multiple trips north to south to see some really cool landscape. Would some of the kids like to stay in a good tent? Can you put a cap on the truck to sleep one or two people?

The kids may not like the bunks. I know cases where the kids prefer staying in a tent and one case a little boy sleeps on the dinette bed vs the bunk. The bunk was too confining he said. His grand parents thought the bunk was good but it was not. Now it is used as a storage shelf.

The smaller and easier to tow trailer the better.

Thanks! Haven't been considering the kids sleeping space too much. haha
They are young so hoping the bunks will be good.
Route isn't set but I know we will not be able to see everything we would like. Have to make some choices along the way.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeto2 View Post
Should say i have wdh, airbags and load range E tires. Have towed the same weight with shorter trailers on the same route in the snow without any issues
thanks!
Yes, we are looking a lot at length. Have seen quite a few experiences like yours that noted that TT put more strain on the drive with increased length.
I think we will have to stay near 26', so was hoping maybe a slide as well. But that may be more weight then I want.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackrash View Post
For that kind of trip, if it is at all feasible, I would look at trading that truck in for a 3/4 ton, diesel or gas, but preferably diesel. I am not saying you need to, but a 3/4 ton diesel would make for a much more relaxing and enjoyable trip. You could flip the truck after the trip if you didn't want to keep it for probably pretty close to what you paid for it if you got the right deal. And that would allow picking up a trailer that has enough room for that sort of adventure.

Jjack and Tuffr2
Agree that perhaps should have considered more truck but it's also a sometimes daily driver so made the choice at the time.
Definitely being cautious with the TT since we have limits and not wanting to push them.
It will mean having to give up some comfort/space in the trailer I expect.

Tags
trailer