Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2016, 10:16 PM   #1

Trailer Match for F150

Hi All,

I am looking to get a Travel Trailer and Tow Vehicle for my family of four. I would really like to limit the TV to an F150 as it will be my daily driver as well as a TV.

I will be going to an RV show and wanted to get an idea of what type of trailer weights I should be considering when using an F150 for a TV.

The current 2015 F150s with a SuperCrew cab, 3.5L Ecoboost and the Max Towing Package with the 3.55 axle in a 4x4 look to have a GCWR of 17100 lbs. and a max towing of 11600 lbs. In addition the GVWR looks to be 7000 for a max payload of 2260 (this includes one 150 lbs driver)

The current 2015 F150s with a SuperCrew cab, 3.5L Ecoboost and the Max Payload Package with the 3.73 axle in a 4x4 look to have a GCWR of 17100 lbs. and a max towing of 11400 lbs. In addition the GVWR looks to be 7850 for a max payload of 2890 (this includes one 150 lbs driver)

I have not been able to find a specification for the max tongue weight, what would it be?

I have seen a few different general guidelines, using the Max Towing Package as an example

#1: 17100 – 7000 = 10100 * .85 = 8585 max for the trailer.
#2: 11600 * .6 = 6960 max for the trailer.

Obviously these are very different to let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Tim
tvromero is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2016, 10:25 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Go play around here and you'll get some interesting and important information.

RV Tow Check 2.0 | Salesperson Fact Checker
Old 01-01-2016, 10:47 PM   #3

A lot of other things to take into account as well. Side area, frontal area, things like that. Overall length can bite you with a half ton. One myth to debunk: payload sticker does not include a 150lbs driver (unless something has changed) on the GCVWR and GTW takes that into account. The GVWR will get eaten up quickly if you are looking at maxing your tow rating.

Also keep in mind that you have a class IV receiver- max 1200lbs with a WDH. So while you may have available GVWR to handle a heavy tongue, the actual hitching point may not.
smurfsofwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Go play around here and you'll get some interesting and important information.

RV Tow Check 2.0 | Salesperson Fact Checker
I checked out the RV Tow Check 2.0, since I do not have the TV, I am not able to enter the actual weight so I made some estimations from the Ford Towing guide for the GVW

GCWR: 17100
GVWR: 7000
GVW: 7000 - 2260 = 4740
Gear: 500
People Weight: 800

I believe there is some double counting here that only reduces the available towing max so it shows:

10% --> 9600
15% --> 6400
Old 01-01-2016, 11:11 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You probably won't be hauling 500 pounds of gear with you in the tow vehicle, but then again it's not a bad idea to have a buffer.

i don't know what you mean by "double counting".

The tongue weight percentages are kind of weird right now for you in that you don't know what the set up, layout, and loading of the trailer you haven't picked yet is, so go with a 12 or 13% figure.

As to the result, yes, that is all you get if you want to stay within the capacity of the vehicle. If you don't think that will be enough, go for a 3/4 ton pickup. I have one, it's my only four wheeled vehicle, and it's fine for me for that role. I have no problem firing up that diesel engine to go get groceries and booze. After all no one that I have ever heard complained about having too much truck.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:17 AM   #6

A few things to keep in mind - that max payload listed is generally for regular cab 4x2. Crew cabs usually have a lot less. I've seen many payload stickers with less than 2000 payload, especially those trucks that are nicely equipped.

Also, spend some time on the Eco Boost forum, there's some pretty good stuff there as well. However, I think some of those guys are nuts with what they are towing.

Good luck and you are doing the right thing researching this ahead of time. Ask me how I know....
Old 01-02-2016, 10:22 AM   #7

Retired Fire Service RVer's
We started down a similar path about two years ago. Began researching 150's and getting advice from members of the forum. Careful pricing and a discussion with a fleet sales manager brought me to the conclusion that a 250 was only 700 bucks more than a max loaded 150. The trim levels were the same, but the stock 250 payload/tow capacity was far superior. Then we discovered that the upgrade cost to a 350 over the 250 was less than the cost of a spray in bed liner. We got the 350 with even better towing capacity. This gives us a lot more flexibility in TT shopping. YMMV of course...it helped immensely dealing with a fleet manager and doing a factory order for the exact truck we desired.

Cheers!
SeabeckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:54 AM   #8

I would also caution on the length as mentioned above. You can easily get a 37' TT in your weight ranges. The truck has plenty of power but it's not comfortable to tow.

I had both a 34' and 37' TT on my F150. More than enough power but it turns into a white knuckle experience because of the length and getting pushed around the road.
04266832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:08 PM   #9

I towed with a 2011 F-150. The camping trailer that was weighed at 5,500lbs. So for me personally I want to tow comfortably and not white knuckled. I personally will not tow more than 6,000 with any 1/2 ton truck. I do not care what any salesman tells me.

If you get a trailer weighing 7,000 lbs. you will be looking for a bigger truck.

I would almost look at a the largest pop-up trailers.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:39 PM   #10

Thanks for all the information. As noted by smufsofwar, I believe the tongue weight will drive the max TT weight. We have been looking at something like the Rockwood 2702WS which would be ~800#s on the tongue and ~7900#s GVWR. These numbers would fit nicely and be the max with the payload of the 2016 F150 SuperCrew with Max Towing Package.

Generally I believe the tongue and then payload would drive the decision.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:31 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvromero View Post
Generally I believe the tongue and then payload would drive the decision.
Right. You can pull a lot more trailer than you can haul the hitch weight of that trailer without exceeding the payload capacity of your tow vehicle. As a general rule, rule out any TT with GVWR more than about 6,000 pounds. That severely limits your choices in TTs.

Ignore the so-called "tow rating". It's not realistic for most folks, and you'll wind up overloaded if you use it.

My TT has GVWR of 5,600 pounds, and it overloads my F-150 by 100 pounds when wet and loaded on the road.

Best rule is to weigh the wet and loaded tow vehicle, with everyone and everything that will be in it when towing, including the WD hitch and a full tank of gas. Subtract that weight from the GVWR of the tow vehicle, and that will give you the max hitch weight you can have without being overloaded. Divide that max hitch weight by 0.15 and the answer is the max GVWR of any TT you want to consider.

Yes, that is a conservative way to chose the TT, but your family is to precious to take a chance on towing when overloaded.

BTW, don't attempt to guess at weights. You'll be wrong every time.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 12:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post

My TT has GVWR of 5,600 pounds, and it overloads my F-150 by 100 pounds when wet and loaded on the road.
Thanks SmokeyWren, what is the payload figure from your truck on the door jam?

Getting the Heavy Duty Package on a 2016 would raise the payload about 400 to 600 lbs over the Max Tow Package with little percentage change to the towing capacity. And this increase in payload would help on the tongue weight.

Generally though it would seem that a max TT weight of 8K is the limit for the F150.
Old 01-04-2016, 01:16 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
From what I've read in this discussion, you seem stuck on getting the 150. Since this is for your family, why not seriously consider going up to the 3/4 ton? Increased safety margin with beefier brakes, suspension, tires, etc., and still a good grocery getter with the gas engine.

If you're simply trying to avoid paying more money for the 3/4 ton rig, I understand that, but a little extra for the safety of my family, to me, is money well spent. And no one ever complained about having too much truck to haul stuff.

I'm not judging, I just wnat to see if you've simply written off the 3/4 completely.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
From what I've read in this discussion, you seem stuck on getting the 150. Since this is for your family, why not seriously consider going up to the 3/4 ton? Increased safety margin with beefier brakes, suspension, tires, etc., and still a good grocery getter with the gas engine.

If you're simply trying to avoid paying more money for the 3/4 ton rig, I understand that, but a little extra for the safety of my family, to me, is money well spent. And no one ever complained about having too much truck to haul stuff.

I'm not judging, I just wnat to see if you've simply written off the 3/4 completely.
The first item is that at 8K wet for a trailer opens a lot of options for a family trailer. The second item is that the F250 does not really have a significant amount of towing improvements for a TT over a properly configured F150, Fifth-wheels is a different subject.

1. 2016 F150 SuperCrew, 3.5L Ecoboost, 4x2 with Heavy Duty Package
2. 2016 F250 Crew Cab, 6.2L Gas V8, 4x2

GCWR 1)17,100 2)22,200
Max Tow 1) 11,700 2)12,500
GVWR 1) 7850, 2)10,000
Max Payload 1) 2890, 2)3490

As discussed in this thread the real limiter is still the tongue weight which looks to be the same between the two trucks, based on the Max Tow amount. At 15% you are still left with an 8K trailer and at 10% you are still left with a 12K trailer.

The Higher payload of the F250 lets you manage to a higher tongue weight but you are already getting 2890 with the F150 so the extra 600#s of the F250 seems overkill.

Then factor in the higher cost for similar features and the higher cost of fuel when not towing and the advantage does not look to be there.

The overall dimensions of the two vehicles are similar.

What would be the justification for moving to an F250 from a properly configured F150?