Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2014, 01:09 PM   #1

Trailer Recommendations

I would like to take our HD on the road with us. I am currently towing my explorer 4 wheels down. I would like to find a trailer that I can tow the explorer and the HD on behind the RV. I am open to both open & closed trailers. Explorer is 6700 lbs. and HD street glide is 810 lbs. Would like to find out what is working for people.

Thanks

Mike Gosselin
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 39S
Toad 2013 Ford Explorer
2014 HD Street Glide

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2014, 02:05 PM   #2

Thought/ruled out toyhaulers?

Old 07-03-2014, 02:12 PM   #3

Going to continue with class A. We are upgrading to 45 ft in 2017 so want something that will last. Will be traveling around watching daughter play college soccer for 4/5 months a year.
mgosselin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:51 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

You need a trailer with a minimum GVWR of 12,000 pounds. So that eliminates enclosed trailers that have a max GVWR of almost 10,000 pounds but a cargo weight capacity less than 7,000 pounds. Your Explorer is just too heavy to haul it plus the Hog in a race trailer.

Go for the max width allowed = 8.5' (102") overall with 83" between the wheelwells..

As to length, you need to back the Hog into a front corner to get it as cross-wise as possible in the 102' width of the front of the trailer without having to man-handle the Hog. The new 1200T Hog is about 90' long, so if that's about the length of your Hog it should be able to go in the front of the 102"=wide trailer sideways. Then park the SUV right up against the Hog. Then measure the distance front to rear. Probably a hair less than 20'.

For an open trailer, special-purpose car haulers probably won't work. So you need an "equipment trailer" with a 20' long floor and 102" overall width. 12k GVWR would be about right. 10k (including trailer weight) would be too tight for your load.

14k is available too, but requires special tires rated for 3,500 pounds each. The 12k GVWR uses ordinary 235/85R16E tires that are readily available at a reasonable price at any tire store. And the wonderful Michelin XPS Rib commercial all-position (including trailer position) tire comes in that size. Here's the specs for the Big Tex model 12ET equipment trailer:
http://www.bigtextrailers.com/pdf/12et.pdf

And here's the link to all the various equipment trailers made by Big Tex trailers.
Heavy and light equipment haulers

If you go for an over-the-axle design, you can get the full 102" wide floor and 20' floor length. With that design of a trailer you'd have to take sharp corners at slower speed. Here's a link to the Big Tex 12OA:
http://www.bigtextrailers.com/pdf/12oa.pdf

But if it's my rig, I'm going to try have an enclosed car-hauler trailer, usually called a "race trailer". Several manufacturers make them, but a popular readily-available manufacturer in most markets is Pace American.
Shadow GT - Pace American

But notice that they do not have any enclosed race trailers with enough GVWR and payload capacity to handle your over-7,500 pounds net payload requirements. So that rules out a normal enclosed race trailer.

You may be able to convince a trailer manufacturer such as Pace American to build you a custom heavy-duty race trailer with two 6k axles for a GVWR of 12k. That would be my choice. But not cheap. I'd probably settle for the BigTex 12EP equipment trailer with the 20' floor length.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 12:37 PM   #5

Smokey,
Thank you for your great post. I will set them up this weekend and measure. I will also look at the links you provided.

Thanks you.
mgosselin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 02:48 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
We see a lot of Renegade's at the races. One of our rescue guys is married to the founder's daughter (company sold since). They build aluminum enclosed trailers with 5200, 6K, and 7K axles. 16'-32' in 2' increments
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 02:54 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Remember that in most states you are only legal for 65' overall length, so with a 45' MH, a 20' trailer will put you over length. An 18' should be real close on overall length, but might not be enough room for everything. Other than that, I agree with everything that SmokeyWren says.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 03:14 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You can have it all with a Class A - or - Super Class C MDT/HDT Toy Hauler...like Showhauler http://www.showhauler.com/#./ShowhaulerMotorhomeGarage , Renegade (linked above) and similar.

There's many Class A options here:
Class "A" Toyhaulers

But if set on a DP with trailer, then the options are many.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:14 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
We see a lot of Renegade's at the races....They build aluminum enclosed trailers with 5200, 6K, and 7K axles. 16'-32' in 2' increments
Yep, sounds like a Renegade race trailer makes what he needs. 20', 22, or 24' floor length, depending on his actual measurements, with two 6k axles should fit the bill.