Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2015, 09:49 AM   #15

I am curious the brand and model of your defective tires. Also interested in the response you get. Good luck.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2015, 09:55 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetogo View Post
I am curious the brand and model of your defective tires. Also interested in the response you get. Good luck.
My pictures only show "WER". Im thinking "Tow Power"?? I havent figured it out yet. Ill ask Jayco if/when they reply to my original email.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1440518105441.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	104613  
Old 08-25-2015, 12:49 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Or Power King.

Make sure you file a complaint here:
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/online.cfm

This is where I (and others go) to determine which tires are crap...
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 02:27 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
Or Power King.

Make sure you file a complaint here:
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/online.cfm

This is where I (and others go) to determine which tires are crap...
In this pic it shows an "R" at the end.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1440534429067.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	104629  
Old 08-25-2015, 02:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac808 View Post
Thanks. Ill see what I can do. Unfortunately, all I have are pictures for proof.
Only pictures may be a problem. Without the tire there's no way to know what was the initial cause of the damage. It could have been moisture, inflation, loading, defective casings, belts, or a myriad of other things. My experience is that the tire companies want to see the actual tire(s) in question before they make a decision. Even then they are reluctant (to say the least) to take responsibility.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:05 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
The tire salesman was correct about 5 years being the life of cheap tires. He also was correct about using them to "move the chemicals." He was incorrect about the tire covers.
I agree. I don't know why he would discourage people from using covers, unless maybe he thinks he'll sell more tires that way.
roadhawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:24 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhawg View Post
I agree. I don't know why he would discourage people from using covers, unless maybe he thinks he'll sell more tires that way.
He was saying to move the RV 20 miles per month instead of purchasing covers. The movement will allow the chemicals to activate which is more protection over covering the tires.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:42 PM   #22

That is an "ST" tire. It is rated to a MAXIMUM speed of 65 MPH. How fast were you pulling the trailer? Were you inflated to the maximum pressure printed on the tire? How close to the max load rating on the tire?

If you were at or over the load rating, at or over max pressure and pulling over 65 MPH, you are VERY lucky they lasted that long !!!!!

For best tire life, get tires with a load rating at least 10% greater than needed. Make sure tow speeds are under the speed rating. Inflate to the pressure chart specs or use the formula below. Leave yourself a margin for safety on ALL these items.

Optimum tire pressure = (Actual load / tire load rating) * max pressure rating

If your tires are carrying 80% of capacity, then pressure should be 80% of max.
NEVER inflate below minimum PSI for the tires.

Monthly "trip around the block" is also good advice.
grashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 02:48 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac808 View Post
He was saying to move the RV 20 miles per month instead of purchasing covers. The movement will allow the chemicals to activate which is more protection over covering the tires.
I suppose there may be some truth to that and I'll probably drag my trailer out of the storage lot once a month and haul it over to Tombstone for lunch or something, just to flex the tires a little, but during the remainder of the time that it's sitting in there and subject to the blazing southern Arizona sun, I think I'll continue to cover the tires. Just my opinion.
roadhawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 11:25 AM   #24

Are there any OTC (over the counter) tire treatments worth purchasing to help prevent the effects of sunlight and dry desert conditions?
Old 08-29-2015, 11:46 AM   #25

I am carrying approx 3300lbs/tire trailer weight on tires rated for 4805lbs/each. There-in lies, I feel, the real secret to long tire life--overcapacity, as much as reasonably possible. 10% mentioned above--I think 20% ought to be the minimum.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 12:42 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by fosilfuel View Post
Are there any OTC (over the counter) tire treatments worth purchasing to help prevent the effects of sunlight and dry desert conditions?
303 Aerospace offers UV protection. I haven't used it on tires, I have covers on them, but I do use it on the rubber roof.

303® Aerospace Protectant™ for long-lasting finish and shine

2012 Thor Freedom Elite 28Z
Muncie_6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 05:42 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muncie_6spd View Post
303 Aerospace offers UV protection. I haven't used it on tires, I have covers on them, but I do use it on the rubber roof.

303® Aerospace Protectant™ for long-lasting finish and shine
Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:55 PM   #28

The tire on the picture looks like my formers. Power King/ TowMax, or Blow Max, to be exact. The worst and most dangerous among all Chinese Bombs. An OEM tire of choice, because its the cheapest brand. This year I had my moments of truth on my way to Vt. My tires were less than 3 years old, came with 2013 Passport. I put around 8000 miles on them, looked ok. The first one just ruptured like a rubber glove after backing up the trailer and turns. Was replaced by the spare. The spare lasted around 200 miles, died of classic tread separation, at 65 mph. Luckily, my TPMS was on top of the situations in both cases, no loss of control or major damage to the trailer. On the next day i got 5 Marathons from the roadside assistance, they look much more substantial, more expensive. But are they really better?
RGene7001 is offline   Reply With Quote