Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2015, 10:28 PM   #1

Trailer tire life expectancy? How to make them last?

I was on my way to Lake Powell last week and stopped into St George for some fuel. Upon my normal walk around, I found all four trailer tires ready to burst. Thankfully, they did not blow while driving. They were the original tires from 2013 and I keep them at 65 psi.
Because of my location, I picked up a set of Vanguards in E load(previous was D). Salesperson says I can expect 5 seasons out of them. Did he mean 5 years or actual seasons? He also said that tire covers are a waste of money. He recommended towing trailer at least 20 miles a month to keep the chemicals in the rubber "moving." Any other recommendations for longevity?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1440390461511.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	104466   Click image for larger version

Name:	1440390491637.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	104467  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2015, 12:00 AM   #2

that's impressive that none came apart if all 4 looked like that!
do you park it in dirt? ive heard dirt if very bad for tires and dries them out.
84prerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:47 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
What was the "date stamp" on the tires? 7 years is kind of a general industry rule of thumb.

But many things can add or subtract from that. Like how many pot-holed roads one travels, contact with the direct rays of the sun, how close to the "max" weight limit you are putting on each tire, quality of the tire (Chinese or US made), tire temperature during travel, speed of travel (60 mph or 75mph)......

I have found being a rather traveled RVer we get about 6 years. The RV trailer I have now (2013 26' Aerolite hybrid) is finishing up it's 4th year (4th season) and I have noticed on one of the tires a little cracking....We average say 2 to 5,000 miles a year. With that said, I will have to do something by next year with our trip to Alaska. I would like to get higher load range tires, but it seems 14" only go to load range "C". Any input on that?

I would fulling inspect each tire more often after the 3rd season. Some people might put 500/1000 miles on a season, just camping locally, others might put 10 or 20k per season. At least you caught it before one let loose. Coming back from VT last week, I saw a RV who had a trailer tire blow and really messed up the wheel well and the lower 12" of siding on his RV.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:54 AM   #4

The tire salesman was correct about 5 years being the life of cheap tires. He also was correct about using them to "move the chemicals." He was incorrect about the tire covers.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:43 AM   #5

WOW!!. You are some lucky person

Also, I don't agree that tire covers have no merit. I use these religiously on my MH and car trailer, and attribute such use to maintaining tire condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac808 View Post
I was on my way to Lake Powell last week and stopped into St George for some fuel. Upon my normal walk around, I found all four trailer tires ready to burst....
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post

Also, I don't agree that tire covers have no merit. I use these religiously on my MH and car trailer, and attribute such use to maintaining tire condition.
I think the value of using tire covers is somewhat dependent on where you live, and how you use them. We live in Wisconsin and in over 50 years have never used tire covers on our cars, trucks, motorhome, or trailers. The tires get worn out long before the sun and other elements have any effect.

The tires on our trailer are a little over 5 years old and show no signs of weather or sun related damage. The last set of tires on my Ford truck were almost 9 years old before the lack of tread necessitated replacing them. The key to longevity in our area seems to be more related to regular use than protection from the sun.

However if you live in some of the southern states like Florida or Texas weather and exposure to the sun can have a marked effect on the lifespan of tires. We have friends that live in both places and have seen what months of extended exposure to the sun can do to their tires.

Here's a link to an article about protecting tires. While this article relates to motorhome tires it can be used as a general guideline for just about any tire.

Polk’s Top 7 Tips for Protecting Aging Motorhome Tires

Note the section entitled "How To Extend Tire life"

Here's a link to another article on the same subject from TireRack.com

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=30
Old 08-24-2015, 08:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post

Lol. Tell me about it....

I think they would provide some kind of protection from the Las Vegas sun.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:02 PM   #8

The manufacturer should send you a check for the 4 defective tires.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 03:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetogo View Post
The manufacturer should send you a check for the 4 defective tires.
Yeah. I wish. Jaycos website clearly states warranty is for "original purchase". The ****** thing is that Im still in the 2 year warranty window. What a croc.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac808 View Post
Yeah. I wish. Jaycos website clearly states warranty is for "original purchase". The ****** thing is that Im still in the 2 year warranty window. What a croc.
Too bad about Jayco, but I would contact the tire manufacturer. Many ST tires are warranted against defects for +-5 years. Tireco sent me a check to replace a set of defective OE tires a few years ago.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 04:45 PM   #11

The first thing I did was get the wheels/tires balanced. They had NO lead on them when new and needed quite a bit.

Other than that, inflation and UV protection are important.
Also, make sure the brakes are adjusted correctly and not dragging or putting more load on one tire than the others.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
The first thing I did was get the wheels/tires balanced. They had NO lead on them when new and needed quite a bit.

Other than that, inflation and UV protection are important.
Also, make sure the brakes are adjusted correctly and not dragging or putting more load on one tire than the others.

Totally agree. I got about 8k mi (2 yrs) on the first two sets of d rated st's. Mine were worn due to 1st set not being balanced from mfgr and 2nd set cheap tires that wore unusually bad. The third set are E rated Maxis. They are wearing well and I really appreciate having 15 psi inflation headroom over required 65psi (minimum is 65 per trailer, max for tire is 80 psi)
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:18 AM   #13

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Tire manufacturer provides the tire warranty not the trailer manufacturer. Contact the tire manufacturer or a tire dealer that carries that brand.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:10 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering1 View Post
Tire manufacturer provides the tire warranty not the trailer manufacturer. Contact the tire manufacturer or a tire dealer that carries that brand.
Thanks. Ill see what I can do. Unfortunately, all I have are pictures for proof.