Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2005, 09:45 AM   #1
GSP

Just got my new used 5th wheel . A Skyline Aljo 2427 25'. Very nice condition.

Need to replace the Tires

How are the Tow Master tires? I heard they are good(?)

I have old goodyear marathons load range C 2150 lbs on the trailer probably the originals

One tire I see , the tread is cracked and seperating where it was sitting stored. The previous owner had a one tire come apart and had the damage. He had the wheel well repaired and bought 1 new Tow Master tire that is a load range D 2540lbs.

What a Good trailer tires to get?

I heard the Tow Masters were good and they have a heavy rating than my old goodyears . Load D vs load C.

Also any one know how to check the tire DOT code for year of manufacture?

Thaks Rick

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2005, 09:45 AM   #2
GSP

Just got my new used 5th wheel . A Skyline Aljo 2427 25'. Very nice condition.

Need to replace the Tires

How are the Tow Master tires? I heard they are good(?)

I have old goodyear marathons load range C 2150 lbs on the trailer probably the originals

One tire I see , the tread is cracked and seperating where it was sitting stored. The previous owner had a one tire come apart and had the damage. He had the wheel well repaired and bought 1 new Tow Master tire that is a load range D 2540lbs.

What a Good trailer tires to get?

I heard the Tow Masters were good and they have a heavy rating than my old goodyears . Load D vs load C.

Also any one know how to check the tire DOT code for year of manufacture?

Thaks Rick

Old 09-14-2005, 12:19 PM   #3
GSP

I was calling around and found a couple tire dealers had "Heritage" tires that are 10 ply E load range in a 225/75/15.

Anyone know of Heritage tires? apparently they say they are very good tires...??
Old 09-14-2005, 03:16 PM   #4

In 1997 we purchased our second fifth wheel and it had 5 "Towmaster" 15" tires on it. Inside of 5000 miles, I had 3 of the 5 fail with thread separation. Towmaster are made by Goodyear. Needless to say, Goodyear and Towmaster are not on my favorite list.
Jim Gehlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 01:34 PM   #5

Tow Masters on the puppy trailer and so far great John
Old 09-23-2005, 07:03 AM   #6

Towmasters on the boat for 2 seasons, no problems so far.

superduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 01:00 PM   #7
KLS

There are more and more unknown brands of Chinese tires, and a few known brands, some OK, some not.

In ST225/75-16 Load Range D, my favorite is the Cooper (and Dean brand) Custom Trailer Plus. Also OK is Goodyear Marathon. I think Maxxis among Asian tires are OK. Greenball has their TowMaster made by Goodyear, but I don't know if they're identical to Marathons. Greenball TowmasterV and Transmaster are Asian.

In 16", I'd choose any Load Range E highway rib-tread Light Truck tire.

In 14", I'd look very closely at Kumho 857 trailer and light truck tires.

Ken
Old 10-05-2005, 03:26 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The big problem with TT tires is that most people don't realize that you need to replace them No matter what, every 5 years. From what I have read in various post, is that alot of people think that becasue the tread looks OK then the tire is OK. That is not true. If the rubber is over 5 years old then it will fail just due to it breaking down. The tread will look good if you don't put miles on the tire.
The manufactured date is stamped on the side of all new tires and you should look at it. Even on a brand new TT/5vr. The tires could actually be 1-2 years old.
What ever you do, make sure you buy TRAILER tires and NOT car tires. Just because they say they can handle the load (load C/D/E) and they are LT tires does not mean they are made to handle the way a TT roles down the road.
TT tires are designed to slide when you turn and car/truck tires are not. Read the fine print it will make a big difference.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:31 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SuperGewl:
What ever you do, make sure you buy TRAILER tires and NOT car tires. Just because they say they can handle the load (load C/D/E) and they are LT tires does not mean they are made to handle the way a TT roles down the road.
TT tires are designed to slide when you turn and car/truck tires are not. Read the fine print it will make a big difference. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Please note that 2 of the best 16" trailer tires (the E-rated Michelin XPS Rib and the G-rated Goodyear Unisteel G614 RST) share all-steel construction, application recommendations from their manufacturers for commercial trailer service, and availability in an LT235/85R-16 size designation.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 12:32 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Please note that 2 of the best 16" trailer tires (the E-rated Michelin XPS Rib and the G-rated Goodyear Unisteel G614 RST) share all-steel construction, application recommendations from their manufacturers for commercial trailer service, and availability in an LT235/85R-16 size designation. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thats great but what about those of us that have to contend with the 15in size and would like a dependable tire in either a D or E rating. I can't speak for others but I don't have the clearance to put 16 in wheels on so I have to live with the 15's.

So, back to the universal question, whats a good 15" tire, preferably in a 225-75-15 D or E rated?
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 06:19 PM   #11

I went to Kaufman tire in Atlanta and they ordered "e"rated 225X75R15 Carlisle for me. Said that they were made by Goodyear.
Keep grinnin,
Old 10-06-2005, 09:50 AM   #12

Be careful, check to ensure that your rims will handle the 80 psi for E-rated tires. Agreed that you may not have to run 80 psi, but most 15-inch rims are only rated for 65 psi or less. The rims max pressure rating is usually stamped on the back of the rim. Someone with more knowledge may roger up, but I don't think I would have a warm and fuzzy only running 65 psi in an E-rated tire, but I could be out to lunch. Have been before. Also be aware that most, if not all "SP" tires are only rated upto 65 MPH, which may be one of the prime causes of blowouts, since it appears that many folks like to tow at 70+.

2000 F250 PSD S/C
Scottygl is offline   Reply With Quote