Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2016, 07:17 PM   #43
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mac01 View Post
So Tireman, what tire would you favor on your RV?

Really hesitant to make any recommendation without more data.

What is total cost? Can I get 3 or 5 year warranty for the tire and for road hazard coverage?

I did not work for GY, MI or Sailun so I have a preference for tires from the largest tire co in the world.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2016, 07:45 PM   #44

Outdoors RV Owners Club
LEGO?
LEGO Group officially the world’s largest tyre manufacturer - About Us LEGO.com

Old 06-04-2016, 07:52 PM   #45

Quote:
FINALLY, I installed two new Goodyear G-614 Trailer Tires in Alabama and I liked them so much that I had the other side replaced while in Florida this past winter.

These are true trailer tires with stiffer sidewalls than the same size truck tires I had been running for years. They will handle the bouncing of the trailer far better than the flexible truck tires. In fact these tires are built exactly like my 22.5 inch coach tires plus they are re-groovable. They are significantly heavier than the previous truck tires I had been using, nearly 60 lbs versus 40 lbs.

No more truck tires on MY cargo trailer, EVER!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
LOL....well the G614 RST is a truck tire ie; LT235/85-16 load range G at 3750 lbs capacity. It is not a ST trailer tire per Goodyear.

Goodyear says the RST stands for "Regional service trailer" which has nothing to do with a ST (special trailer) tire.

Most LT tire makers will recommend one line of their LT tires for a trailer position which I listed in post #6.
Hell before ST tires hit the streets in mass numbers the '80s all we had were light truck tires for our heavier trailers and passenger tires for lighter weight trailers.

Quote:
FWIW. The 235X80/R16 LR E tires on my trailer were carrying 2850# each with a rating of 3420#. Had a blowout yesterday on one tire dated 43rd week of 2011.
Your tire problem isn't capacity but rather cheap ST tires.
I had 5 trailers on the road hauling multi state with 28 tires on the ground. ST tires about ruined my business till a Goodyear truck tire dealer switched all my ST tires to LT tires.
I use the Sailun S637 in the 16" load G tire on my heavier equipment trailer with 7k axles. Their a commercial grade all steel ply carcass tire at around 60 lb vs 35-38 lbs for a ST load E tire.
Sailun S637 are fast becoming 1st choice with commercial haulers trailers with 16" and 17.5" tires who are on the road 24/7.
JIMNLIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:25 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post

Does anyone have a trailer tire size 235X80/R16 that is "Made in America" ?
The answer to that is no.

So it boils down to what is the best answer and how good is the logic in the best answer? Only at a serious crunch time event will the answer be challenged. If challenged will the logic for the answer hold-up?

The regulations used by the vehicle manufacturer that built your trailer are enforceable. Tire industry standards will be used as a guiding standard equally throughout the tire industry. Enforceable in some circumstances of litigation actions.

It’s not about tire design. It’s about who makes the initial selection. That’s done by the vehicle manufacturer. They select the tire design, size and set the recommended tire inflation pressures in accordance with the regulations. Because trailer builder 1 uses xxx tires on their vehicles and they are very much like your vehicle does not indicate that it’s approved by your trailer’s builder, especially if their xxx tires are of another design.

The regulations trailer builders follow when building your tires are not applicable to the public at large, they are for builders of trailers, says so right on the FMVSS documents.

Even when plus sizing with replacements the design must be questioned because it is implied that it should be followed. It’s important to remember that tires are designed and built by tire experts. Tires used on our vehicles were all chosen and fitted by the vehicle experts. It’s a collaboration, “you build them and I’ll use them”. The regulating authority (DOT) gives exclusive privilege for selecting tires for vehicle fitments to the vehicle expert side of the collaboration and no others.

No matter how anyone may personally judge the regulating authority, their standards do level the playing field that provides the best safety available until proved otherwise. That - in my opinion - will determine the right or wrong of an event of misapplication.

Vehicle certification is a serious process. What the builder is doing with it is swearing that the vehicle and its safety equipment meets the minimum safety requirements set down by the regulating authority. The regulating authority agrees. The ball is rolling and all subsequent replacements must be equal to the tasks or better than the original as determined by the vehicle manufacturer or, in this situation, with an approval from the TRA for standardized charts and sizes for the automotive side of the house. I’m not aware of any TRA approved replacement recommendations for RV trailers or any other trailers built to FMVSS.

I own a RV trailer. This is what my owner’s manual says.

Tire Size
To maintain tire safety, purchase new tires that are the same size as the vehicle’s original tires or another size recommended by the manufacturer. Look at the tire information placard, the owner’s manual, or the sidewall of the tire you are replacing to find this information. If you have any doubt about the correct size to choose, consult with the tire dealer.”

Tire industry standard: “ The replacement tire must have a maximum load carrying capacity equal to or greater than the maximum load carrying capacity of the original equipment tire.”

The correct inflation pressure for your tires is what the vehicle manufacturer has said it is with the tire placard and in the owner’s manual. If you want to do something different, go up, but never down. The maximum load capacity of a tire is what the tire manufacturer says it is and they put it right on the sidewall for all to see. Oh, “rumor has it that brand xxx and size xxx is stronger than what is on the side wall.” That’s a rumor unless you can get the builder to say otherwise.

The question is not about what replacement you use. In a lot of cases any design may qualify in the load capacity category. Will your replacements meet the approval of the trailer manufacturer? Will the tire manufacturer warranty it for your application? Because a tire manufacturer classifies tire xxx as “all position” does not, in itself, qualify it as a trailer tire. Will the vehicle manufacturer approve it? I’ve seen fancy fifth wheel trailers delivered with 20” passenger tires. To that manufacturer those were appropriate for that trailer.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 08:14 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNLIN View Post
LOL....well the G614 RST is a truck tire ie; LT235/85-16 load range G at 3750 lbs capacity. It is not a ST trailer tire per Goodyear.

Goodyear says the RST stands for "Regional service trailer" which has nothing to do with a ST (special trailer) tire.

Most LT tire makers will recommend one line of their LT tires for a trailer position which I listed in post #6.

Hell before ST tires hit the streets in mass numbers the '80s all we had were light truck tires for our heavier trailers and passenger tires for lighter weight trailers.

Your tire problem isn't capacity but rather cheap ST tires.

I had 5 trailers on the road hauling multi state with 28 tires on the ground. ST tires about ruined my business till a Goodyear truck tire dealer switched all my ST tires to LT tires.

I use the Sailun S637 in the 16" load G tire on my heavier equipment trailer with 7k axles. Their a commercial grade all steel ply carcass tire at around 60 lb vs 35-38 lbs for a ST load E tire.

Sailun S637 are fast becoming 1st choice with commercial haulers trailers with 16" and 17.5" tires who are on the road 24/7.

Would it be detrimental to your trailer to use the Sailuns if they were way over what you actually needed?
Old 06-05-2016, 09:20 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mac01 View Post
Would it be detrimental to your trailer to use the Sailuns if they were way over what you actually needed?
The common perception about trailers is they are built to minimum standards, including their suspensions. So when loaded close to their maximum load capacity they are stressed-out.

I think most will agree that replacement tires should provide a 15% - 20% load capacity reserve above the GAWRs (via inflation). IMO anything more than that is “overkill“.

All of the steel cased tires are very heavy with lots of durability items such as an extra steel belt and sidewall inserts. Some, if not all, are regroovable with extra density in the tread compound adding to their stiffness. Are they too stiff for a lighter trailer’s suspension? It would be an expensive trial and error event should they be too stiff.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:43 AM   #49

Texas Boomers Club
Order 4 G614's last week. Goodbye Westlake tires.
Old 06-05-2016, 12:56 PM   #50
Commercial Member

"Tires used on our vehicles were all chosen and fitted by the vehicle experts." is nice sounding but I have never heard of an RV trailer company actually doing any tire evaluations as all car and LT manufacturers do.
I know what real OE vehicle evaluations involve as that was a major part of my responsibility for 20+ years

Based on what we see being delivered from trailer mfg are tires of the smallest size and lowest Load Range (i.e. lowest cost) that will meet the regulations. I have even seen and discussed with NHTSA engineers an application where the size provided by the Rv company was not rated for the RV load. The "fix" was not to replace tires but to get the importer to state the tires were acceptable at the stated load of the RV.

There was no information that there was only one brand that would meet the regulations.

In another similar situation, no recall could be ordered as the trailer mfg simply closed up shop.

Can anyone point to an RV trailer mfg that is providing tires with a reserve load capacity of even 10% never mind 15 to 20%?
Old 06-05-2016, 01:10 PM   #51

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Can anyone point to an RV trailer mfg that is providing tires with a reserve load capacity of even 10% never mind 15 to 20%?
I cannot speak to the entire line of their trailers, bit my Outdoors RV Black Rock 19B came with four load range C tires on (2) 3500 pound axles.

ETA: The tires are branded "Sierra", and are distributed by Tredit. The barely a web site for the tires is http://www.tredittire.com/tires/rainier

The GVWR of the trailer is 6200 pounds. The total load capacity of the four load range C tires is 7,280. This is a 15% "reserve load capacity".

The weight of the trailer as I have it loaded for full timing is under 6000 pounds (includes 60 gallons fresh water). I believe that I am taking "better than average" care of my tires, thanks in part to your advice on your blog. Thank you for the info that seems to help me take care of my RV tires.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:34 PM   #52

Trailer Tires ????

Met a rep of an unnamed RV company today at a local RV show. When I asked him what tires they had, he admitted that they were made in China. I informed him that I would not buy unless we could negotiate for an upgrade.
He admitted that most companies use that as one of their areas to cut corners for competitive pricing. I laughed and let him off the awkward hook, but thought about how cavalier they are about safety in the RV industry.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:49 PM   #53

[QUOTEWould it be detrimental to your trailer to use the Sailuns if they were way over what you actually needed?][/QUOTE]
Depends on the trailers weight on the tires.
As myself and others keeps saying all you need is a 15-20 percent reserve capacity for tires on a trailer. Over kill on a truck is OK as the front set steers around the corner and the rears simply follow.
Tires on our trailers are close spaced and towards the center of a tall heavy box. This adds tremendous stress to the tires carcass and tread belts as they side scrub around corners....even at max pressures. .
Now lets say you derate the 4060 lb rated Sailuns S637 down to 80-90 psi for a smaller trailer.
Two things can happen.
One is they will run hotter than at max pressures through their life span and two is the tires won't hold their shape as they side scrub around corners. Tireman9 tire blog (rvtiresafety.com) has a good article about internal ply shear. Anyone that thinks they know something about tires should read his blog.

I've never over tired my RV trailers but I would guess using a 110 psi rated tire in place of say a 65 psi rated tire could shake/pound the trailer needlessly.
JIMNLIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:34 PM   #54
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
I cannot speak to the entire line of their trailers, bit my Outdoors RV Black Rock 19B came with four load range C tires on (2) 3500 pound axles.

ETA: The tires are branded "Sierra", and are distributed by Tredit. The barely a web site for the tires is Rainier

The GVWR of the trailer is 6200 pounds. The total load capacity of the four load range C tires is 7,280. This is a 15% "reserve load capacity".

The weight of the trailer as I have it loaded for full timing is under 6000 pounds (includes 60 gallons fresh water). I believe that I am taking "better than average" care of my tires, thanks in part to your advice on your blog. Thank you for the info that seems to help me take care of my RV tires.
Good for you and good for Outdoors RV for providing tires with reasonable capacity. That's a first for me. I will have to learn more about the company.

If they can produce a competitive RV with 20% margin on load for the tires then it is easier to ask others why they can't do as good a job as Outdoors RV. Any idea if the rest of their line has similar margin on tires?

Looks like the problem with RVs with undersized tires is because they are built in Indiana.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:55 PM   #55

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Any idea if the rest of their line has similar margin on tires?
Not sure. If you're interested, you can check the brochures for their different product lines. http://outdoorsrvmfg.com/

ORVPDMAN is a member of IRV2, his handle breaks down to Outdoors R V Product Development Manager. His posts can usually be found in the Outdoors RV forum. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f282
Old 06-06-2016, 07:56 AM   #56

Go easy on me guys but I've been wanting an opinion on these tires. I replaced old dried out tires with these and I realize that they are cheap brand but it brings some peace of mind that my tt requires a load C tire and I used load D. There is some cushion there , what do you all think ??

Tags
tires