Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2016, 08:01 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliez View Post
.....................So now my new delima. One pair of the original tires we've been running always looked more rounded. I have thought maybe because we've been pulling so nose high that maybe these just didn't have any wear. So today, having one off, i placed it beside another one. It is 2 and 1/4 inches taller. Like what the heck. The sidewall is obviously larger then the sidewalls on the others. All 4 were from the same place installed at the same time. Y'all think maybe that I got a pair mis branded somehow and they are actually different tires?.................
I saw a photo of another person's matched tires; exactly the same issue. The outer belt(s) on the tire have failed and the rubber has expanded, same as a balloon getting larger. How many miles on these tires? I'd take them back to the selling dealership. If one has the problem, they all will, IMHO. Go with Sailuns, Goodyear, or Maxxis, in that order, if you can find a good fit.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2016, 08:10 AM   #86

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Just installed Carlisle radial trailHD this week. 225/75/15E They have a speed rating or 81MPH. Hope they hold up well!!!
Mtn Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:05 AM   #87

I'm thinking it's about to blow as well. It's not possible to find a tire to fit these rims not made in the C word. The one I picked up yesterday has the C word on it.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:06 AM   #88

I might see if it will hold 100 psi if the wife aint looking.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:12 AM   #89

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliez View Post
You can't get larger wheels without changing hubs and possibly axles.

The European option are not E rated.
RE no wheels.
How many bolts? What is Bolt Circle and what is the center bore minimum for trailer axles?
Old 06-10-2016, 11:20 AM   #90

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetogo View Post
The tall tire looks like its defective. I would have two new tires mounted on the driver's side.
Better not to have to work on the traffic side in the event of more old tire trouble.

Yup Larger, round tire looks like possible defective. Get it replaced.

Be sure to capture the DOT serial and file a complaint with NHTSA.

ALSO how about posting the DOT serial so we can learn which factory made the tire.
It's easy to change the name on the tire sidewall by modifying the mold but maybe if we stopped blaming every tire company in a country and simply identified the suspect tire plant we might get an improvement.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:56 AM   #91

Fleetwood Owners Club
bad tirers ?????

my son in law purchased a 32 forest river trailer now two years ago...He has probably used it ( Florida only ) about 1000 miles over that period. Labor Day weekend we made a trip with them of 125 each way, most on the interstate...He had three blow outs during that period...and one on the way back...Also, had one flat tire last year...All the tires that blew were the tires that came with the trailer at purchase...Al blew across the thread, not the side walls....It is parked on a cement slab in the shade while not in use...Has anyone experienced similar incidents...btw...he always has checked his air pressure prior to using it...thanks
kchadw1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 01:07 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchadw1944 View Post
my son in law purchased a 32 forest river trailer now two years ago...He has probably used it ( Florida only ) about 1000 miles over that period. Labor Day weekend we made a trip with them of 125 each way, most on the interstate...He had three blow outs during that period...and one on the way back...Also, had one flat tire last year...All the tires that blew were the tires that came with the trailer at purchase...Al blew across the thread, not the side walls....It is parked on a cement slab in the shade while not in use...Has anyone experienced similar incidents...btw...he always has checked his air pressure prior to using it...thanks
Sure! Just about everyone that hauls a trailer without knowing it's road weight and how it's balanced on the axles. Contributing factors are excessive speed and low tire inflation pressures. Another factor could be how level the trailer was parked while out of service and again tire inflation pressures in that state. Some people use their trailers as storage facilities while out of service with a complete disregard of tire overloading conditions.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 01:49 PM   #93

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
...btw...he always has checked his air pressure prior to using it...thanks
Did he check the pressure regularly while it was parked? Tires have to be inflated all the time that they have a load on them, not just when rolling.
Old 09-11-2016, 02:21 PM   #94

RE: Bad Tires???

If your SIL will just weigh the trailer as loaded to travel and compare against the tire capacity, perhaps he will get a clue why they blew. Mfgs are known to put the least capacity legal on a trailer/fiver that will pass regulations. I would guess he is close to capacity, and also a lesser quality chinese tire.
Solution is fitting a higher-capacity tire on the trailer.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 11:05 PM   #95

Commercial Member

Quote:

1. What are his actual tire loads (each tire) as measured on truck scale?
2. What type, size & Load Range are the tires?
3. How old are the tires (DOT serial data?
4. Has he confirmed his pressure gauge is accurate (+/- 2 psi or better)?
5. Does he ever drive faster than 60 mph?
6. What is the lowest pressure he has ever measured?

& Has he made the basic effort to file a complaint with NHTSA for each failure?

Tags
tires