Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2016, 06:58 PM   #1

Thumbs down Trailer Tow Mirrors vs Rear Camera

I'm in the market for a new TV. My sales lady is having a really hard time finding the model truck I want, with the options I want, AND with Trailer Tow mirrors. Seems few dealers realized they should order the truck that way. I have the Furrion Observation camera and leave it running while driving. Any thoughts on whether or not the camera and regular truck mirrors is an acceptable setup for towing.
I guess, worst case, I can install a set of CIPA's.

Al

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2016, 07:34 PM   #2

If it has no towing mirrors, perhaps it doesn't have other equipment for heavy towing.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:13 PM   #3

Tell sales person to give you a price for custom order!!takes about 2 months.
Get what you want, not what they want to sell you!!
Old 06-01-2016, 08:37 PM   #4

I think it has most of the necessities for towing: 7 pin wiring, class 4 hitch receiver, 11K trailer weight rating, aux trans oil cooler, trailer brake controller, etc. Just not the large, extendable mirrors.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:41 PM   #5

Many companies make mirrors that you can attach to your existing mirrors.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:44 PM   #6

If you can, be patient and order exactly what you want. Despite what the dealer may tell you, you can often get just as good of a deal on an ordered truck as one sitting on the lot, especially since you won't be paying for options you don't want.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:37 AM   #7

mirrors

my hd2500 didn't have towing mirrors on it. i found some that looked like the factory ones on e-bay. they were power and heated and only $119.00 for the pair. i put them on and everything works like its suppose too.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:47 AM   #8

If the truck has everything except the tow mirrors tell them you'll take the truck only if they install the mirrors. The tow mirrors are a separate option from the tow package. Why, who knows. But as long as that's all that's missing they can add the mirrors very easily. Just make sure everything else is on the truck that you want and make sure that they pay for the mirrors, for your inconvenience in taking their truck off their hands. 😉
Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:19 AM   #9

Double check the gearing in the rear end if it doesn't have the tow mirrors. It's easy to have the dealer give you the build sheet on the truck to verify all the packages installed. DO NOT rely upon the salesperson or sales manager. Their job is to sell you a vehicle, they really don't care if its the one you want/need.

My advice, order the truck with all the check boxes YOU want. All the same deals and financing is generally the same (MFR rebates and special financing change every 30 days, but they often carry over).
Old 06-02-2016, 10:42 AM   #10

For everyone's safety, your truck should have tow mirrors. Any truck without mirrors probably isn't fit for towing anyway.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:23 AM   #11

Appalachian Campers
Heartland RV Club
x2 on getting a dedicated set of towing mirrors if the truck is otherwise equipped for towing (hitch, brake controller, etc.). Tried the slip on mirrors and was very disappointed.

They can be manually extended mirrors or power extendable mirrors.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:28 AM   #12

Have a look at these: Power Vision Mirrors | The Ultimate Towing Mirror
Put 'em on my '98 Ram 1 ton when new, still working like new.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:08 PM   #13

I'm surprised that so far, no one thinks putting a dedicated, always on rear view camera on the back of the TT is not better than trailer tow side view mirrors.

As I understand the geometry, pushing the side view mirrors out an extra 4-6 inches simply reduces the size of the blind spot behind the TT. On a 30 foot trailer, I suspect a Kia or other small vehicle could still hide back there.

Additionally, having the camera, because of its field of view, would make passing safer by providing confirmation that you have cleared the other vehicle - if you can see the front bumper of the other vehicle on the monitor, it has to be behind the trailer.

I have investigated getting the manufacturers tow mirrors installed. To do so, in addition to buying the mirrors - in both doors, the wire harnesses, switches, and control modules need to be replaced. Dashboard fascia needs to be changed for the new extend switch, and a main control module needs to be flashed with info from another truck that has the mirrors (if they can find a truck to copy from). Geez, these computer controllers are a pain. So this is a VERY costly effort and probably significantly more than buying the camera system. Yes a set of CIPA's or similar could be used, but I've seen lots of complaints that they damage the mirrors they are mounted on. One guy lined his add-ons with felt in an effort to prevent scratching.

Finally, while I would prefer to have different tires and may change them sooner rather than later, EVERYTHING needed to tow a 10K+ trailer IS on the truck - I've checked.

So why doesn't anyone think the camera option is at least as good a solution as extendible side tow mirrors?
Old 06-02-2016, 08:21 PM   #14

The camera on the back of the camper is a great option for behind the camper, but the camera can't see to the side. The bigger mirrors are for seeing the people down your sides so you can safely change lanes and make safe turns.

Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, tow