Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-07-2016, 10:19 PM   #15
Before I replied I wanted to do some digging and learn a little bit more about the new Colorados. The v6 ia pretty stout, 300hp and 269ft/lbs of torque. Not bad in a light truck. Reviews state using the manual shift when accelerating is a must and made the towing experience much more enjoyable. The towing reviews I found were with open car trailers loaded to about 6k. Yes the weight is similar to what the OP will be pulling, but the open trailer is a far cry from a full sized TT. I believe the new Colorado can tow the load better than past mid sized trucks but I still don't think it'll tow a 6k TT. Maybe in very flat, no wind conditions but how frequently do we experience that?
OP, I towed a 4500lb TT with a v8 buick rainier. 325hp/330Tq. Had the power to pull it and the brake controller did well to stop the load. However, I had a cheap wdh and it felt unstable in moderately windy conditions. If you really are set on this TT, do youself a favor and buy an excellent hitch like the propride or Hensley arrow.

dcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2016, 10:45 PM   #16
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Tow rating for the 2016 V6 gasser is 7,000 pounds. But tow rating is with a stripped truck with no options and nothing in the truck but a skinny driver. So neither tow rating nor GCWR will tell you the max weight of trailer you can tow without being overloaded.
But it would be closer than we've got now. The 7K figure means nothing without knowing exactly what the GVW of the truck is supposed to be to have that tow rating. That would be easy to figure out if we had the GCWR.

ORV 19B Full Timer, '14 Ram 2500 Diesel and a GSD. This signature updated, August 13, '16.
Currently working in Idaho Falls ID de K7NOL 146.52Mhz Safety? (CLICK ME!)
1bigmess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:39 PM   #17
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you stay this route put a tranny cooler on it...
2016 Viking 17FQ
2005 Chevy Trailblazer
2 Chihuahua's - yeah, were those people at the campground
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:54 PM   #18
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by Starbreaker View Post
If you stay this route put a tranny cooler on it...

Good advice.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:44 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I want to thank everybody for their comments. After much thought we have decided that the Colorado is not the way to go, even though all weights were under gvw's. Like one person said just cause you can does not mean you should. If we went that route it would be white knuckle all the way.
That said we are looking for a class c motorhome, Does anyone have comments
regarding the Ford V 10 verses the Cheverlot V 8 engine

Jack3 is offline   Reply With Quote

tow, towing