Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2016, 10:54 AM   #1

Trailer Towing Hitches Purchase

I am in the market to purchase a Tow Hitch for my Trailer. It must include Weight Distribution and Sway Control. I have been shopping online and there such a large selections, that it is a task understanding the differences between them.
I could use some help in determining which ones preform the best and are the easiest to hook up.
Seems the newest trend is the ones without the chain adjustment. These include the Husky Center Line TS & HD and the Equalizer Hitch.
Appreciate any suggestions and user experience.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2016, 04:33 PM   #2

I have a used Draw-Tite set up with adjustable ball mount, 1000lb spring bars & sway control I would sell you for $100.+shipping, if you're interested.

Happy trails,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Draw-Tite Hitch.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	323.1 KB
ID:	140426  

Old 10-01-2016, 09:38 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have the Equal-I-Zer 4Way hitch, and I like it a lot better than I though I would.

Pro Tip: An electric tongue jack makes hitching up with a weight distributing hitch much easier, and probably faster, no matter which hitch you buy.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:18 PM   #4

Jayco Owners Club
Fastway E2 trunnion
Old 10-01-2016, 10:52 PM   #5

I like my Husky Centerline. Took several times of hooking and unhooking to get used to how much weight to allow on the hitch while securing the bars, but now that I know, it isn't too bad. As far as anti-sway, I've been happy with it. However I've never used anything else so nothing to compare to.

Also read many good things about Blue Ox.

The top of the line hitches are Pro Pride and Hensley and I've read many, many great reviews of them.
Old 10-02-2016, 12:02 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE253 View Post
I could use some help in determining which ones preform the best and are the easiest to hook up.
Rule 1: Do not buy a cheap hitch. If you can buy it for less than about $500 (including adjustable shank) from an online discount source, such as eTrailer.com or Amazon.com, it' a cheap hitch. If it uses sway bars for sway control, it's a cheap hitch.

The good hitches have built-in sway control without using sway bars, and they will probably have trunnion bars instead of round bars. They list for around $1,000 and are available for $500 to $600 online. Here are my favorites:

Reese Strait-Line trunnion
Blue Ox SwayPro
Equal-I-Zer
Husky old-style CenterLine that will cost more than $500. The jury's still out on the new Centerline TS that you can find for less.

For four times more money you can have the best in the business: ProPride 3P. I have one on my TT and love it, but I'm not sure it's worth 4 times the cost of the Strait-Line on my cargo trailer.

The predecessor of the ProPride is the Hennesy Arrow. You can still buy the original Arrow, but Jim Hennesy improved it and now calls it the ProPride.

Quote:
Seems the newest trend is the ones without the chain adjustment. These include the Husky Center Line TS & HD and the Equalizer Hitch.
And the Blue Ox SwayPro. But there's nothing wrong with chain length adjustment on a well-designed hitch. The Reese Strait-Line listed above uses chain length adjustment.

My StraitLine is just as easy to hook up and go as my ProPride. Both required a lot of fine tuning to get them dialed in. But now it's just a couple of minutes to hook up either one. One difference is in how easy it is to change the tension on the spring bars. The ProPride uses a screw you turn, so it's easy to make very fine adjustments to the tension on the spring bars. With the StraitLine you have to go a whole link at a time. If one link is too much, then you must move other parts of the hitch by repositioning the lift-up brackets. The Equal-I-Zer and BlueOx also have to have hitch parts repositioned to fine-tune the tension on the spring bars.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 07:02 AM   #7

Hensley...

Hennesy is Cognac, Jim Hensley is a hitch designer.
L.C.Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 11:40 PM   #8

If you're pouring I'll have a double!
Old 10-05-2016, 08:23 AM   #9

I have an Equal-I-zer 14k. I tow a 10k lb toy hauler with it and have little if any sway and it sits pretty much level. Make sure you get a hitch that will cover your tongue weight, mine can vary between 13 and 1400lbs. with toys/water/supplies, so I also use a scale to make sure I'm within proper parameters.

Yes, the friction from the hitch makes noise. The first few times I towed it I was un nerved on tighter corners with the creaking and popping. I have since added the sleeves for the "L-brackets", and clean and lube the friction points on the hitch head before each trip, and after driving in heavy rain. The noise is all but gone now. I have no noticeable sway in normal driving wind conditions or passing/being passed by big rigs.
My trailer is 26' long and 12'6" tall so it's pretty much a large sail. The higher winds/gusts can push me a little but that's not the hitch, it's merely a part of towing a billboard!
I agree on the power tongue jack. Makes life a whole lot easier!
DTG173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:16 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.C.Gray View Post
Hensley...

Hennesy is Cognac, Jim Hensley is a hitch designer.
Yeah, but you knew what I meant.

But if you want the best, get his latest version called the ProPride instead of his original design called the Hensley Arrow.
Trailer Sway Elimination | Sway Control | Truck RV Trailer Hitch Accessories | ProPride, Inc.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:37 AM   #11

I'm sure I'll get some argument on this but to put things succinctly, If you won't spend the money to match your tow vehicle to your TT then you better spend some money on a quality hitch system to help keep you out of trouble.

Having a really good hitch can help a marginal tow vehicle where a tow vehicle that's well above requirements can get by with a marginal hitch.

Usually if you won't spend the bucks on one, you ain't gonna spend it on the other either.

I'm over matched on my tow vehicle and can pull it without even using the EQ hitch. I actually like it better pulling with no EQ hitch, but the trailer sure doesn't like it. I pulled it in from the coast one trip without the bars in place. It towed and rode great, but I had to put everything back in the fridge and cabinets at a gas stop in San Antonio and again when we got home along with some glass all over everywhere from 2 broken Pyrex bowls.
L.C.Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 04:31 PM   #12

Blue ox works great and is almost silent. Others snap and pop loudly.
Old 10-08-2016, 08:01 PM   #13

I like my Equal-i-zer hitch. Bought it last year off of Amazon for about $500.00 and shipping was free. Good thing because that hitch is heavy. No problems with sway. I'd buy it again.
Old 10-08-2016, 09:57 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
I have a husky centerline and it is fantastic. youtube has some great videos on this subject. You'll probably get many opinions like which is the best tow vehicle. I don't know which is best but I can tell that the husky is pretty darn good.

LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase, tow, towing