Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2007, 03:33 PM   #1

A few manufacturers have been mentioned in other threads that have factory installed hitches. Does anyone have a more complete list? Those listed so far are all higher end models and I'm looking at getting back into a weekend RV and want to look at the more entry level lines but want to pull either my boat or a motorcycle trailer behind it. I'm trying to do this right. Assuming that the truck and legally I'm fine, I'm looking at the trailer now.

Hers - '03 GMC Yukon XL Denali, Prodigy brake controller
mbwagoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2007, 03:33 PM   #2

A few manufacturers have been mentioned in other threads that have factory installed hitches. Does anyone have a more complete list? Those listed so far are all higher end models and I'm looking at getting back into a weekend RV and want to look at the more entry level lines but want to pull either my boat or a motorcycle trailer behind it. I'm trying to do this right. Assuming that the truck and legally I'm fine, I'm looking at the trailer now.

Old 06-17-2007, 02:42 PM   #3

I have never seen a trailer come from the factory with a hitch on back. Not to say that thats not possible.
I would buy the trailer you want and go to a good hitch shop and have them install/fab one for you.

This is what I have done on my 2 trailers and boat.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:18 PM   #4

That's what I'm planning, but I've recently heard of some high end rigs doing it so I figured I'd ask.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:01 AM   #5

I've checked with CHP and DMV about double towing. You'll have to have a non commerical "class A" license, otherwise if you're pulled over and not have the endorsement...ticket time. They'll have you unhook the second trailer and leave it.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:00 AM   #6

My Hitchhiker came with a factory hitch.Excel also comes with optional hitch.I am sure there are others.
Rich
Old 06-27-2007, 05:13 PM   #7

Keep in mind, entry level trailer frames are just barely strong enough to suppport the trailers GVW for a reason-saving money. The only hitch legal for doubles towing is a 5th wheel hitch, in virtually every state. This is also the only hitch not required to use safety chains. Then the second trailer must be a boat trailer. loadrite.comtrailer towing laws- Excel spreadsheet. OR, towing laws in HTML format.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:27 PM   #8

As you live in California you will be required to have a Class A Commercial driver's license with doubles endorsement. You will be required to have a current medical certificate which is good for two years. The total length of your rig, bumper to bumper can not exceed 65 feet in length. If you are over length, the fine is stiff and you could be made to drop the rear trailer. If you are not licensed correctly, driving out of class is the same as being unlicensed and you risk everything going to the impound yard. This is the straight scoop coming from the man in tan.

2002 Chevy 2500HD CC/LB D/A
baddwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:25 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by baddwalk:
As you live in California you will be required to have a Class A Commercial driver's license with doubles endorsement. You will be required to have a current medical certificate which is good for two years. The total length of your rig, bumper to bumper can not exceed 65 feet in length. If you are over length, the fine is stiff and you could be made to drop the rear trailer. If you are not licensed correctly, driving out of class is the same as being unlicensed and you risk everything going to the impound yard. This is the straight scoop coming from the man in tan. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm well educated from that aspect, My mom is a Sergent and my step dad used to be a commercial officer(recently retired), both CHP. I'm just hunting for a trailer that meets my needs and if I could find one with a hitch in my price range if would be ahead of the rest. I'm going to be sending a few manf. an email/phone call with questions about adding a hitch.

Old 07-02-2007, 04:31 PM   #10

You are well ahead of the curve then. You would be surprised how many double tow and don't know the laws. My next suggestion would be to see what you like and then contact the manufacturers directly. Some say it is no problem but other manufacturers will tell you that the hitch at the rear will void frame warranties when towing another trailer. What ever you buy, I would consider having the RV dealer install the hitch. That way, if something does go wrong thye dealer can't back out and not cover things under warranty. Good luck.

2002 Chevy 2500HD CC/LB D/A
baddwalk is offline   Reply With Quote