Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2014, 06:03 PM   #1

Trans. Temp. ????

Hello All

New to towing my TT with my 2010 Dodge Ram 3.6 V8, what should the trans. temp. be at during towing ??? Is the gauge just a water temp. gauge as far as what's too hot ???? My 2000 Keystone 26rkls is about 5,000 #.
Thank jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8637.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	242.1 KB
ID:	53454  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2014, 06:41 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
Hello All New to towing my TT with my 2010 Dodge Ram 3.6 V8, what should the trans. temp. be at during towing ??? Is the gauge just a water temp. gauge as far as what's too hot ???? My 2000 Keystone 26rkls is about 5,000 #. Thank jim
IMHO, I don't like to see my trans oil to go over 210. I like it to stay under 200.

Also it depends on where the sensor is located and if that location is a cool spot or not.

Regarding your exact Gage's... Someone else will have to chime in. If you don't have a dedicated trans oil gage and oil cooler. I would recommend looking in to it if your really wanting to know what is going on durning travel.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
Hello All

New to towing my TT with my 2010 Dodge Ram 3.6 V8, what should the trans. temp. be at during towing ??? Is the gauge just a water temp. gauge as far as what's too hot ???? My 2000 Keystone 26rkls is about 5,000 #.
Thank jim
I think you mean 3.6 v6, or did you mean 4.7 v8 or 5.7 v8. Either case, my 5.7 v8 in my 2500 ram will rarely go over 175. I assume you are reading this temp from the dash reading in the LCD center dash display. You should not have any problems until anything over 225. Going by mine, I don't see how you could get anywhere near that number. I've pulled 13000 # of dump trailer in the hills in 90+ heat and doesn't even get close to that.
Happy and safe travels.
Chad
Old 01-10-2014, 02:04 PM   #4

4.7 V8 3.55 rear.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:18 PM   #5

I would go to your local Ram dealer and ask them what is the operating range of your specific transmission. Some of the Ford transmissions require the transmission temps to be over 200F up to 215Fsh to verify the fluid is at the proper level. Transmissions are a new animal with new technologies and different types of transmission fluids now compared to the days of old.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:56 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
If your transmission is getting hot try pressure washing the trans. cooler it is probably full of bugs.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:11 AM   #7

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Contact a dealer service dept and ask. Forget about personal opinions and get the facts.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:02 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

The facts are that regardless of make, ATF begins to deteriorate at around 210, and 225 is the redline for most automatic transmissions. But that's sump temp, not the temp anywhere else in the tranny system. The senders for most OEM tranny temp gauges are not in the sump, but instead somewhere in the valve body. But most OEM analog tranny temp gauges do not give you the actual temp, so you have to interpolate. And a correct interpolation requires a lot of research and study.

If you install an aftermarket tranny temp gauge with the sender in either the hot line or the return line, you're wasting your time and money. The hot line can get up to over 300 F. with no harm, and if you have good tranny cooler(s) installed the return line will usually be a lot less than the actual tranny sump temp. So you want sump temp - i.e., the temp of the ATF in the pan. Some trannies have a port that will return sump temp - i.e., the '99-'03 Ford 4R100. The 2002-up Ford SuperDuty diesels have a not very useful OEM analog tranny temp gauge with the sender installed in the valve body, so the actual digital temp is about 15 higher than sump temp. So instead of a 225 red line, if you use that sender for your aftermarket digital gauge (or if you use something that plugs into the OBD-II port to get tranny temp), the red line goes up to 240

The surest way to add a tranny temp sender is to remove the tranny pan and weld in a threaded bung that has the correct threads for your sender. Then use 225 as your red line.

My 2012 F-150 Lariat has an OEM digital tranny temp gauge that's fairly accurate. It's usually around 190 to 200 whether towing or not, but it gets up a bit over 200 under severe conditions. I don't know the actual redline yet, but unless it gets up to 225 F. I won't worry about it.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:40 PM   #9

275F is considered an over heat condition. This will cause firm shifts and the torque converter will remain in a locked up condition (except 1st gear). Reduced power may occur also. This depends on the calibration. 225F is not considered over heating. The transmission cooler line going out to the cooler can be much hotter than this. The torque converter is what generates the majority of the transmission heat and output temps can get very hot. In the case of Ford rear drive transmissions, the transmission fluid temp sensor is in the sump and submerged in sump fluid (even the valve body is submerged in fluid). I do not expect GM, Dodge, or any other make changing that position (had a few dodge transmissions apart and they are similar). In the case of the 6 speed in the F150 trans, the operational range for this transmission is 193-215F. This is the range in which the fluid must be checked. Obviously in heavy towing conditions in stop and go traffic, the fluid temps can get higher. This is expected and is part of the design.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:34 AM   #10

My road temperature while towing is around 210F.

It can get hotter, such as when slowing down in city traffic, where it can rise to the 220F range.

While climbing grades especially if the torque converter unlocks for a while, it can get a bit hotter, but it cools pretty quickly on the downward side.

This is not considered damaging for healthy transmissions.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:53 AM   #11

You have a RAM truck correct? If so you are using ATF+4 transmission oil; I believe. There is a cart that shows the useful life span of the ATF+4 transmission oil and what happens at various temperature readings. At 175F oil temp you have about 100,000 miles of useful oil life before change is required, at 195F this drops to 50,000 miles and so forth till you reach 415F this is about less than 30 min's of use.
With my truck which has the 68RFE, 6speed auto and full transmission oil coolers for the towing package along with an AL Mag-Hytec oil pan and 2-1/2 quarts of additional oil capacity; my probe is in the pan. I see normally 180F in my transmission oil pan and never more than 200F when towing. I also change both filters and oil at 50,000 mile intervals.
Here is the link to the chart.
ATF Temp Chart

Jim W.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:02 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My son is a tech @ Ford trans research and development. He has also worked in the same capacity @ GM and Mclaren. When I asked this question he told me the temp breakdown point is 245, @ that temp the fluid should be replaced because the trans life is severely shortened after that temp or higher.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:12 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
In my truck (see signature), transmission temperature as displayed on the EVIC is 160-170 degF on the Interstate at cruise when towing. The highest I've ever seen is ~215 degF on a climb of a mountain in Arkansas towing the 5th wheel to a campground; the road had numerous switchbacks that kept the transmission in 1st gear (no torque converter lockup) for almost the whole climb - the combination of fluid shear in the torque converter and minimum ram air flow through the oil-to-air transmission cooler represents what probably was a worst case condition for my rig.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by t55watson View Post
My son is a tech @ Ford trans research and development. He has also worked in the same capacity @ GM and Mclaren. When I asked this question he told me the temp breakdown point is 245, @ that temp the fluid should be replaced because the trans life is severely shortened after that temp or higher.
For what fluid, Dextron 3, Mercon V, Mercon SP, Mercon LV, premium, FNR5? They are all different types of fluids and most cannot be interchanged due to different chemical make up. With that previous chart I would suspect that was referring to Dex3 fluid due to the old age of that chart.