Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2012, 06:19 PM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Warren View Post
Thanks, I'll look at that. BTW when did you become a shellback. My first crossing was in 1973.

1965 going to Vietnam VF-84 onboard the Indy CVA-62.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2012, 01:40 PM   #16

I have seen 230* in the mountains of arizona and western NM, tranny light never came on and everything worked fine.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:28 PM   #17

Best to keep it 20 degrees below the engine coolant temperature. My truck runs a coolant temp of 210 degrees and the transmission temp has never gone above 160 degrees. Greatest temps will towing a heavy load at slow speed (less air flowing through the transmission cooler).

Waiting for an idiot light to come on is not wise as by then the damage will have been done. Good idea to keep both transmission and engine oil topped off so there is more fluid to absorb the heat.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:00 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
On my truck (see signature) with the 68RFE 6-speed automatic transmission, normal highway temperature when towing is 160-170 degF. The highest I've ever seen it on the EVIC display (EVIC = electronic vehicle information center) was around 212 degF when making a long pull towing the trailer (a 16,000 GVWR 5th wheel) up a steep mountain road to a campsite with lots of switchback curves. In this case, the transmission spent most of its time in 1st gear with the torque converter unlocked, and fluid shear in the converter generates a LOT of heat when it's unlocked.

These temperatures, in my case, come from an RTD embedded in the valve body of the transmission.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:24 AM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Those are great nu,bers.
We tow a 17,000 pound trailer with our motor home and flat dround cruising with no headwind it runs about 180.
Up cna down small grades in Iowa (Midwest) might hit 200. In the bigger hills (not mountains) it ran about 240 consistently.

We changes to Castrol synthetic trans fluid in the Allison transmission( Mobil 1, many others make it as well) and in every situation the trans temp dropped 20-25 degrees. It costs a bit more but....it lasts far longer and protects my transmission a LOT BETTER.

Good luck with your towing.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:56 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Welcome to the forum Jok.

Just one question. Is 17,000 corrrect. Not familiar with your Hawkins rig. Must be some kind of powerhouse.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:29 AM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Wink

The 17,000 is correct. It is a Cummins 250 with 100 HP fuel pump modification and boost increased to 32 psi.

Usually we tow a 12,000 lb trailer but the big trailer is a stacker with a dragster, golf cart and 1970 Olds Cutlass drag car on the hoist.

The Hawkins is not a powerhouse but it gets us there, handles great and the 6 huge brakes on the trailer actually stop the motorhome better than when it's empty.

We actually started towing the big trailer with a 2008 Cross Country by Coachman with a emission 330 HP Cummins but the air ride, overall poor quality in general was very disappointing. This 1995 Hawkins 34' is built like a Monoca Dynasty as far as quality, workmanship and components. By going backwards in time I went light years ahead in quality (not to mention $100,000.00 cheaper!!) Plus I can do all the services and engine work myself. It's a mechanical injection Cummins, SIMPLE and PROVEN. No electronic anything, except the Satellite and our Garmin.

Thanks for welcoming me to the Forum. My posts are getting deleted pretty fast because I see people with towing issues and try to help. I will do my best and try to limit my input to just anwering questions if I am ask a specific question.

Be safe out there,
Old 11-13-2012, 10:38 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thanks Jok

I think the moderators delete post when there is extreme controversy or items that generate very heated discussions that would violate the forum rules.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:03 AM   #23

The how hot is too hot question cannot be answered correctly until it is known where the sensor is. The best location is in the fluid out to cooler line where 300 degrees is considered the safe limit if you have synthetic fluid. Any other location just tells you how well your transmission cooler is working. This information came from Allison Tech Support.

Jim

jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote