Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2013, 10:26 PM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
In case it matters:

"Fiver" is much more fun to say than "TT". Also manly-er.

Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2013, 10:32 PM   #16

I have towed both. If you look at the basic physics of the tt with a crosswind the trailer acts like a sail and tries to go sideways. With the hitch pivot point about three feet to the rear of the drive tires of the tow vehicle, the side pressure will "steer" the tow vehicle into the wind=white knuckles. With the fiver in a crosswind the tow vehicle gets pushed sideways with the fiver=less white knuckles. Do you see any anti sway controls for a fiver? I have seen none, not saying none are out there, just haven't seen any.
So, I would get the fiver just because they handle better, at least for me.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:43 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by stink View Post
With the hitch pivot point about three feet to the rear of the drive tires of the tow vehicle, the side pressure will "steer" the tow vehicle into the wind=white knuckles.
One of the things that make a ProPride hitch so expensive is it is engineered to move the pivot point from behind the bed to about the center of the rear axle. That's why a TT with a ProPride hitch tows as good as a 5er, cross winds included.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:05 AM   #18

Not sure about the PP but the HA is a PITA to hookup on unlevel surfaces. I bought a used one several years ago and used it with my F150 and Heartland NT 26LRSS. Yes it did tow nice, but I hated hooking it up. Bought it for $950.00, sold it for $900.00. Now towing a fiver with a different truck and I have to say it's close compared to the HA but the 5'er still feels better. Plus no bump stop when slowing down. Problem with the HA is if you have a diesel and use the exhaust brake then you will get the bump stop effect because you aren't using the TT's brakes while slowing down. IIRC the PP doesn't have the bump stop issue, but maybe it does. IMO the 5'er tows slightly better, is easier to hookup and unhook, no messing with the WD head and spring bars, no greasing parts, and no banging shins on WD's left in the receiver. Plus it's much easier to backup to hookup, no guessing where the coupler and ball are, getting out to check alignment, etc. I suppose you can get a back up camera or those tennis ball on a stick things, but all you have to do with a 5'er is look out the back window and line up as you back up. Each to his own but having used both, the 5'er tows great, easier to hookup and unhook, has better storage and no messing with WD adjusting. Only downside is if you need your truck bed for longer items then the 5th hitch will interfere. The 5'er has so much more storage that you can put items in the front storage bays that would go in the truck bed.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #19

Cumminsfan is dead on the storage for a 5th wheel. I've towed both and i love how i can keep my 5th wheel packed and loaded, ready to go.
I have an older pullrite hitch and it may be because of the hitch but for now, i think it's easier to hitch up a tt on uneven ground. It seems that an 1/8th of an inch can prevent me from connecting but i am learning the 'tricks' with a 5ver and it is faster to hook up and disconnect when everything is in alignment.
fishinjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:23 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinjim View Post
Cumminsfan is dead on the storage for a 5th wheel. I've towed both and i love how i can keep my 5th wheel packed and loaded, ready to go.
I have an older pullrite hitch and it may be because of the hitch but for now, i think it's easier to hitch up a tt on uneven ground. It seems that an 1/8th of an inch can prevent me from connecting but i am learning the 'tricks' with a 5ver and it is faster to hook up and disconnect when everything is in alignment.
I have a new B&W Patriot with 4 way tilt and it's pretty easy to hookup on uneven surfaces. What I like best is not having to raise the truck up and down like when I had the Equalizer. Just hit the front jack button and raise the 5'er till the king pin just comes loose. Hitching up a 5th wheel is more easily done by one person also. All I need to do is pull the handle to open the jaws, back the hitch into the king pin, the jaws shut automatically, pin the handle and you're done.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:53 PM   #21

I did the many months long research of 5th wheel vs TT vs motor home several years ago, and after 22K miles + including a coast-to-coast, I am convinced I made the right choice with a 5th wheel. I have towed smaller TTs in the past, but there is no comparison to the stability of a properly setup 5th wheel. Shorter total footprint on the road, much greater stability and DW likes the "split level" feel of the 5er, just seems like more privacy when we travel with other family members. We were traveling through Kansas on I70 with a major side/headwind going on. Absolutely no sway or getting pushed around, many TT travelers had to pull off and wait out the wind. Just my $0.02USD worth.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:01 PM   #22

towing trailers for almost 40 yrs...my experience shows me 5th will tow better than a bumper pull...always! Both do require proper set up

5th almost always rides far better than a bumper pull when on choppy roads

5th will have a tighter turn radius than a bumper..so requires less space

backing comes natural to me...both back fine to me...but newbies will probably be better becoming at ease with a 5th as compared to a bumper pull

5th is easy to connect to the truck if you have a heavy tongue weight which a 32' will have...no EQ bars, no sway bars to deal with and to store when not in use

but it all what we like and what we can afford that is the true test
Old 07-05-2013, 04:16 PM   #23

Forest River Owners Club
Thanks everyone! This forum is awesome. We decided to go with the 5th wheeler and got a 27' Salem. All of you really gave me a lot of good information. Thank you so very much.
wanttocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:47 AM   #24

It's a simple choice for me. I tow with an Excursion because I need the seats. My kids, plus a friend, is more than my 6-seat F350 can handle. Thus, I need a TT. A fifth wheel would mean I need to drive two cars to camp.

I recently bought a propride hitch to go with my 10,000#, 36' Sprinter. Pulls like a dream. No sway. No white knuckle driving. Now I need to convince DW to drive...
Cleaverf22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:03 AM   #25

"but it all what we like and what we can afford that is the true test"

It seems like this thread is just about done. But there are other factors involved in this choice. Two things are true for my wife and I. We save and pay cash for things and a good used pickup and new TT is just going to cost less. AND some of our destinations are limiting in the size of rig that can be comfortably parked as well as offseason storage in the driveway. We will never have the money to full time or travel extensively, but we are happy with our choice and it works wonderfully well for us.

This is slightly off topic as the OP didn't give my parameters in his question, but there are times when a nice TT "fits" better.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:10 PM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by road dogs View Post
I did the many months long research of 5th wheel vs TT vs motor home several years ago, and after 22K miles + including a coast-to-coast, I am convinced I made the right choice with a 5th wheel. I have towed smaller TTs in the past, but there is no comparison to the stability of a properly setup 5th wheel. Shorter total footprint on the road, much greater stability and DW likes the "split level" feel of the 5er, just seems like more privacy when we travel with other family members. We were traveling through Kansas on I70 with a major side/headwind going on. Absolutely no sway or getting pushed around, many TT travelers had to pull off and wait out the wind. Just my $0.02USD worth.
Wow! Our last trip down I40 (MH+car and dolly) outside of Flagstaff saw the fender blow off the dolly and hitting the car on the way over. The coach was all over the place. Steering wheel cranked into the wind.
Just the thought of that has me seriously looking at selling the MH and getting a 5er for the F350 Diesel King Ranch crewcab that just sits since we no longer have horses to tend to.
Husband says: "MH is paid for. How much traveling we going to do anyway" Silly man, lots if its easier to do.

Thanks for helping in the decision!
Kimberly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:48 AM   #27

I currently have and use both. What I noticed:

Hooking a 5th wheel you are standing. Hooking a TT you are on the ground. The 5th wheel is much easier to back and needs less room when backing. I say I can back my 5th into a shoebox. I am good at at backing but my TT does take more room.

Now on the flip side. A TT tracks behind the truck better when turning. A 5th wheel tracks way inside of the truck path. You really need to make wide turns just like the semi-trucks or you will hit a lot of curbs.

Going down the road the 5th wheel wins hands down. My 5er tows great. It is very stable and does not get pushed around if a big truck passes. On the trailer I notice it just a bit.

I would go with the 5th wheel.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:12 PM   #28

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I currently have and use both. What I noticed:

Hooking a 5th wheel you are standing. Hooking a TT you are on the ground. The 5th wheel is much easier to back and needs less room when backing. I say I can back my 5th into a shoebox. I am good at at backing but my TT does take more room.

Now on the flip side. A TT tracks behind the truck better when turning. A 5th wheel tracks way inside of the truck path. You really need to make wide turns just like the semi-trucks or you will hit a lot of curbs.

Going down the road the 5th wheel wins hands down. My 5er tows great. It is very stable and does not get pushed around if a big truck passes. On the trailer I notice it just a bit.

I would go with the 5th wheel.
X2--have had both a 27 & 33 footer TT's with WD & friction sway--never had any significant sway issues with either but now with a 5'er--hook up is much easier & faster--going down the road is more stable as well but still have to be really careful making turns & watching my wheels in the mirror.
txdutt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel