Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2009, 07:09 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Tread wear outer dually tires on F350

Never seen this discussed before. I have 39,000 miles on my 07 F350 dually diesel Tow Boss. I'm the original owner. I've pulled a 15,000 pound fifth wheel for maybe 10,000 of those miles, keeping my weight 1,000 pounds below the truck GCWR.

I just checked the tires (Continental LT245/75R17all around). The middle of the tread of the outer dually tires are worn down, just about even with the wear bars. Inside tires look just fine, as well as the front tires.

I monitor my tires frequently, particularly since I have Pressure Pro sensors on all truck and trailer wheels. 75F/60R towing, 60F/45R not towing. I keep the same pressure on all four dually tires. Don’t drive hard anymore like I usta.

The outer tires wear pattern indicates overinflation. Should I have maintained lower pressure in the outer of the dually tires when towing of not? Or has someone been following me around with sandpaper, sanding down the middle tread, and he's too lazy to reach in to the inside tires?

Now I need to find two used LT245/75R17, so I don't need to replace four or even six tires.

Your thoughts??
Bruce and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2009, 08:30 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
sounds like overinflation
on my 06 tow boss i had the fronts broken down and put on the inner set ,
looked odd as they are bw and the fronts were rwl

i ran heavy as do you and never had more than 65 in the rears loaded
and empty i ran 35-40 to keep a flat tread wear pattern
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 08:04 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
are you sure your inside tires are inflated to the same pressure as the outer tires? Sounds like you are astute enough to know that but have to ask anyway. It is not a good idea to run either tire with less tire pressure than the other.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:38 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Mr Boater,
Likely overinflation, but why only on the outer?

K-S,
Yes, I monitor my tires with my Pressure Pro sensors, confirmed with a digital pressure gauge. I keep all dually tires the same. And fronts at same pressure too. I could think that one of the rear sensors is wrong. But the wear pattern is the same left and right.

I was wondering if the outer tires wear differently in turns than the inner ones. But then this would be a common problem in DRW trucks.

I determined my unloaded pressures with the old chalk test, i.e. putting a stripe of chalk across each tire and looking at wear at different pressures. Loaded pressure I took from the tire manufacturer's label on tire pressures.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:40 PM   #5

I put 95000 miles on my last 350, and got there on the original tires. The duals never showed odd wear. You could try moving the inners to the outer row, see what happens. Only other thing that might cause this--BOTH outer wheels are bad? Doesn't sound logical. Have you ever rotated the tires? Hard to do correctly because the wheels are polished on one side only--so I rotate front LtoR and rear LtoR only, to keep from having to break the beads.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 02:19 PM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Do you travel on interstates or stick to small twisty back roads?
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:25 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
I've never rotated the tires. Figure the cost of breaking them down wouldn't pay. Actually I've never rotated the tires on my cars either and usually worked out.

I seldom drive on gravel roads. Mostly good highways. Pretty conservative in my driving overall since I purchased this truck.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:11 PM   #8

Appalachian Campers
The reason I asked is because if you do a lot of turning the two tires beside each other get scrubbed a lot, at low speed the outer tire loses. That will greatly accelerate the wear patterns.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 06:29 PM   #9

Wingnut may be on to something. Might want to have some one watch your tires/wheels as you drive, if the wheels are bent it may cause an In Out push pull on the wheels.... basically causing them to go back and forth on the road as you drive. This would certainly cause the issue you describe.

https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/passes/white/ not far from home...
Frankenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:41 PM   #10

Usually the inner dual wears a smidge more than the outer due to road crown. What pressure are the duals? When towing our 15,500# GVW 5er(act. 14,700) I run duals at 65 psi. Since GM's rotate all 7 rims, and 4X4 is a "must rotate", I have Sam's club do it every 10K miles (part of purchase price).
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:50 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I own a 3/4 ton Chevy diesel, it came from the factory with 60 in the front and 80 in the back, but since I drive it more unloaded, the rear tires wore out just as discribed. Found that dropping the pressure from 80 to 60, the same as the front solved the problem. I would have thought that if this happened to be the case in a dually then all the rear tires should show excessive center tread wear.
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:08 PM   #12

Bruce,
Another thought--I had an '07 350 dually for 95400 miles on the original tires, and would have run them another 10-15000 if I hadn't traded. I always ran the rear at near max for the LR E tires, 75-80, due to high pin weight when towing. Being generally lazy, I never lowered the pressure for solo driving, even tho it was at least 85% of the time. You have a strange problem, hope you get it figured out.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:09 PM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Just talked with the Ford dealer. Who says that the outer dually tires will wear out faster if all are underinflated. I'm here to tell you there is a big difference in the inner and outer treads.

Live and learn (and spend). Guess I'll bump the unloaded pressure down to 40 on my new set.

Thanks all for your help.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:55 PM   #14

dually air pressure

I don't normally agree with Ford service advisors, but his answer seems to bear out that you run underinflated most of the time. 45psi on LR E tires isn't enough pressure. I run 75-80 loaded/unloaded and get great tire mileage.
Running at max recommended air pressure unloaded is NOT running overinflated--it just results in a harder ride. You should get max tire life and best fuel mileage when running at max recommended psi. Running at 90 on an 80 max tire is overinflated.
If you run at 40 on your next set, you will take a chance on the tire bulge at the pavement contact point rubbing, leading to a different set of problems.