Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2013, 10:16 PM   #15

Fed regs may read a truck-tractor pulling a trailer = a single tow.
.................................................. ....................a semi trailer/trailer= double tow.
.................................................. .......................semitrailer/trailer/trailer= triple tow.

Towing World by Blu Ox says a tripple tow is a three vehicle combination but as Smoky says its a misnomer. A three vehicle combination is a truck-tractor and two trailers.

Some of the trucking webs poke fun at some of the clickies regarding regulations or fed laws some RV websites have posted as a sticky. The triple tow in the Towing World by Blu Ox web is one of them.

JIMNLIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2013, 08:51 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimalberta View Post
I was surprised at how much the small trailer would buck up and down as the fiver moved with the truck. The back end of the fifth wheel moves up and down a lot and I could see all this happening with my backup camera.
You probably can't see it in a backup camera, but the second trailer also sways a lot more than the 5er. Let someone else drive your rig down a bouncy curvey road at highway speeds while you follow behind and watch the trailer. It will probably scare the stinky stuff out of you. I towed a 10' single-axle utility box trailer behind my 5er for 10 years, attending the races at Texas Motor Speedway three times a year. The trailer contained handicap transportation such as a golf cart or electric scooter, plus a big generator and gas for the generator. Gross trailer weight less than 3,000 pounds, so no need for a weight-distributing hitch.

Preparing for the first trip, my wife followed me from town to home. She commented about how much the trailer swayed behind the 5er. So we tested it with me following while she drove the rig. Sure enough, when the 5er did a little bobble, the little trailer did a huge sway.

The trailer was properly loaded with over 10% hitch weight, so the fix was to add a sway bar to the weight-carrying (WC) hitch. Worked like a champ. The little trailer still swayed a lot more than the 5er, but the sway bar stopped the sway after one oscillation.

Most hitch manufacturers sell those simple friction sway bars. Ours is an EAZ Lift, like this one:
Eaz-Lift 48381 Left Screw-on Sway Control

To attach that sway controller to a weight-carrying ball mount, the ball mount must have a tab sticking out with hole where you add a small ball that fits the sway bar. Hereís one:
Curt Manufacturing 45820 Sway Tab Ball Mount

Also note that the EAZ lift sway bar above includes only one of those little balls, and you need two, one at each end of the sway bar. Hereís that ball:
CURT Manufacturing 40093 1-1/4 In. Diameter Sway Control Replacement Ball

Old 05-15-2013, 04:51 AM   #17

Hi

I find it interesting that my post about Florida putting in the Uniform Traffic Code several regulations that basically put the commercial vehicle regulations under a heading so they apply to RVís seems to have diapered.

At any rate the new Florida regulations do allow double trailer tow for RVís. They were previously only under the commercial vetches regulations.

This results in the regulation requiring the first trailer to be the ďSemi TypeĒ hitch and the maximum length for the first and second trailer is 28.5 feet each. It also requires brakes on both trailers and breakaway braking on both trailers.

I will get the regulation numbers for you all as soon as I get back.

3665RE
Old 05-15-2013, 09:35 AM   #18

Yeh, after all my research my trailer if I chose to tow it would eventually cause problems with my 5 th wheel. So my goal now is to find a swivel wheel trailer or tote to add to the rear, if I get one that does not extend over about 4' past my bumper, it is not considered a trailer anywhere.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:06 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3665RE View Post
I find it interesting that my post about Florida putting in the Uniform Traffic Code several regulations that basically put the commercial vehicle regulations under a heading so they apply to RVís seems to have diapered.
Diapered? As in stinky pants?

Maybe you forgot which thread you posted it in? Check posts# 22 and #27 in this thread, which you posted a coupla months ago - before you had read the new regs:
The DOT stopped me this morning!
Old 05-16-2013, 06:17 AM   #20

Hi Smokey

Before we get into some kind of dispute I wasnít indicating that someone did any thing with my post. Some times the From (all forums) software just loses things.

I did post a much longer post here day before yesterday about the Florida regulations.

3665RE
Old 05-16-2013, 06:20 AM   #21

Charlie D

I think in Florida that is 3 ft. However if the trailer is attached at both sides and the lights are put on the back of it I donít think the 3 ft applies provided you donít exceed any overall length limitation.

3665RE
Old 05-16-2013, 06:29 AM   #22

Thanks, I am sure I would find some variations to the law but, hoping in those cases to play the stupid card for as often as I would do it.