Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #1

Triple Towing

I have a 35' Keystone 5th wheel set up to triple tow, my trailer is a 7 x 12 Enclosed Low Hauler, is this too heavy? Or should it be ok, I have tested it and it tows nice but the trailer itself is heavy, i initially went this way to make the trailer support its weight and not change the pin weight but I don't want to damage my 5th wheel over the long term if it is too heavy
Charlie D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2013, 12:09 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I think your talking about double towing 2 trailers behind your truck. Anyway, I would wonder if your Keystone is approved for attaching a second trailer. Many folks have had welding shops add hitch recievers to the 5er. Folks will tell your they have done it for years without problems and there are other stories of disasters. Then you have double tow set up that are to long for certain states. My Excel came factory prepped and approved to tow a trailer. But there are even restrictions on that. There is a lot to concider and you will get plenty of opinions here. Good luck.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:25 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Wow, whether it's OK or not depends on the hitch (both the rating of your 5th wheel hitch as well as the hitch towing the 2nd trailer), its attachment to the 5th wheel's frame, the strength of the 5th wheel's frame, braking setup, and so many other variables. I can only say that, if you head down this road, make frequent checks of the structural integrity of the hitch and frame. Look especially for cracking or tearing around the bolted attachments and/or welds and around the pinbox area of the 5th wheel. Bear in mind that you're towing more than the 5th wheel's pinbox/pinbox extension is likely rated for, and the area where the pinbox attaches to the frame is notoriously weak on many 5th wheels.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:33 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Wow, whether it's OK or not depends on the hitch, its attachment to the 5th wheel's frame, the strength of the 5th wheel's frame, braking setup, and so many other variables. I can only say that, if you head down this road, make frequent checks of the structural integrity of the hitch and frame. Look especially for cracking or tearing around the bolted attachments and/or welds.

Rusty
Also whether it's legal in the states you want to travel in. Doesn't matter what your home state laws are either.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:47 PM   #5

Thanks, the legal stuff I understand and the states I planned to do it I would meet the standard. But you hit it right on the head, I had the hitch installed Welder does it all the time for local RV dealership and says he has no problems. Yet Keystone says they Void warranty if you do, and also I see possible issues with slide out etc. I hear stories of twisting frames. I tried it one time all worked well, but am thinking I would be further ahead if I go with a Swivel wheel etc, to keep the weight off the 5th wheel.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:55 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

For 10 years I towed a 5'x10' box trailer behind my Keystone Sprinter 5er going 350 miles to camp in the pasture at Texas Motor Speedway. In that trailer over the years I hauled Darling Wife's handicap getaround - either a golf cart, a quad, or a handicap scooter, plus generator and gas for the generator, plus some odds and ends. Local welding (blacksmith) shop extended the back of the trailer frame and added the receiver to the back of the 5er with no problems. But additional sway control was mandatory. When the 5er did a small bobble, the trailer behind the 5er did a huge sway without the sway control.

The receiver on my 5er was probably good for up to about a 3,500 pound trailer, but not a 5,000 pound trailer. In Texas. towing two trailers is perfectly legal as long as the first trailer is a 5er or gooseneck and the total length of the combo is not more than 65' long.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:51 PM   #7

Much depends on the 7x14 enclosed trailers weight. I double towed with a 26' 5er and a 3500 lb fishin' boat for eight years.

I've never heard of twisted frames due to double towing but I guess its possible with a lite framed trailer.

Some of those swivel wheel trailers make a good set up if your trailer is longer. Keeps you within max lengths.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:59 AM   #8

Thanks, I am looking for a used swivel wheel trailer now, but since I am not in a hurry I am also being a little fussy! Don't think I will hook up my enclosed trailer anymore just to be safe. Any trailer would have to take a 1200 lb load, have larger wheels, unfortunately what I am finding like the Toy Tote or Idaho Tote, the prices are too high for my limited use. Trying to stay Under $2,000.00, and if I need to travel to pick it up I would look at that option.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:50 PM   #9

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
You said triple towing, whats the third trailer?
Old 04-14-2013, 04:55 PM   #10

I was using my enclosed but I am looking for a swivel wheel trailer attached to my 5th wheel
Old 04-14-2013, 08:23 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering1 View Post
You said triple towing, whats the third trailer?
Tripple towing is defined as towing two trailers behind a tow vehicle. It's a misnomer, but check out the state-by-state towing rules published in such things as the Trailer Life Guide to RV Parks and Campgrounds. They have a column titled "Tripple Towing Allowed?". Reading the state-by-state rules concerning triple towing, it's obvious they are talking about only two trailers. And there is no column for "double towing".
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:46 PM   #12

I spent this last winter pulling my RZR behind my fiver on its own trailer. I was surprised at how much the small trailer would buck up and down as the fiver moved with the truck. The back end of the fifth wheel moves up and down a lot and I could see all this happening with my backup camera. I am planning on building my own swivel wheel trailer this summer and hopefully it will behave better behind. Can also back up that way.
Jimalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Tripple towing is defined as towing two trailers behind a tow vehicle. It's a misnomer, but check out the state-by-state towing rules published in such things as the Trailer Life Guide to RV Parks and Campgrounds. They have a column titled "Tripple Towing Allowed?". Reading the state-by-state rules concerning triple towing, it's obvious they are talking about only two trailers. And there is no column for "double towing".
It might be called triple towing but it's wrong. Ask any OTR driver what triple towing is and you will hear "towing 3 trailers". Otherwise, what would you call it if not towing a trailer? It for sure would not be single towing.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:48 AM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Pulling 2 trailers is generally known as "pulling doubles". I have no idea where this triple-towing misnomer for 2 trailers came from.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote