Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2013, 05:46 AM   #1

Triple towing: does anyone tow a 5W and a vehicle?

Before I buy a dolly I'd like to hear if anyone is currently towing an RV + a vehicle? What have been your experiences?

I'm planning on towing a 2011 Cedar Creek and a Ford Escape behind my 2011.5 Ram 3500 CC 4X4 DRW Laramie Longhorn so that my wife and I can ride in the truck together. We currently caravan and she drives the car.

Even if you're not currently doing this but have in the past I'd welcome your thoughts and experiences.

Thanks!
JerryHooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2013, 06:23 AM   #2

I would check the Triple Towing and Combined Length restrictions in the states that you would like to do this in.

Link here

Best of luck.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:50 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
You need to follow the laws for the states you will be towing through. So allow double tows, some do not. Some state the type vehicle towed behind the trailer.

Then you have length restrictions. Texas is 65' maximum overall length, some are 55' and some are 75'.

Next issue is if the trailer has sufficient frame to handle the load of towing a 4000# vehicle.

Then you need to check the license requirements for double towing in your home state.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:05 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
You should also verify that your 5th wheel hitch is rated for the combined weights of the 5th wheel as well as the towed vehicle and dolly. Also, you have the matter of a braking system for the towed vehicle.

Personally, I would be greatly surprised if Forest River gives the OK for the structure of a Cedar Creek to handle a 4000 lb towed load in a double towing application - since you're not pulling 3 trailers, you're not triple-towing, you're towing doubles.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:28 AM   #5

I have not towed an auto behind my 5th wheel but I used to tow a 2300# boat behind my 24 ft. and 27 ft. campers.

I quit doing that after a hitch/frame joint failure.

Even before that it was not a pleasant experience as the boat was just too heavy IMHO. I was younger, dumber, and bullet proof in those days!

I do tow a small 2 wheel MC trailer behind now to haul the motorcycle but the total weight is less than 1000 lbs. and the length is short.

My $0.02 worth is to keep on doing what you have been doing. Cheaper and safer. YMMV
Bipeflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:18 AM   #6

I did it for 8+ years (a Jeep Wrangler weighing 4500lbs). There is a section on my website in the "Legal" section discussing my opinions - for what they are worth. Link in the sig line.

Bottom line - I don't recommend it. And no offense, but I sure as heck would not do it with your setup.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:23 PM   #7

We towed doubles for eight years with a '90 2500 chevy/26' Aljo 5er and a 3500 lb bass boat all over OK/TX/KS/AR/MO/NM and CO. No issues.

You sure won't have any issues with the truck or trailer. Just make sure the combo isn't to far over length limits in the states you will travel through.

I see snow birds from northern states every day with a toad behind a big 5th wheel heading south. Toads range from small two door 'zukies up to HH II's and even full size Xs or burbs.

Just make sure the hitch on the back of the trailer is a welded in unit to the main frame rails and cross members. A good custom fab weld shop will know how.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:34 AM   #8

X2 on Jack's comment. The Lippert frame on your fiver isn't strong enough.
I've seen HDTs with a toad behind the fiver, but the fiver was a Continental-quality trailer ($200K+).

You don't want this to happen.

BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:20 AM   #9

The first picture above is one of my setups from when we towed doubles. This trailer - a 2010 New Horizons - had a stout frame requiring no reinforcement. It was about as ideal a setup as you could have for towing doubles. It is still not a recommended activity, IMO. Too much risk of something going wrong. Mitigating that risk is an expensive proposition.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:46 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Be very careful of rain and going down hills. I towed a 15 foot Lund boat behind our 20 foot Travelaire 5'er. We were driving in heavy rainfall when we crested the hill leading down to the North Saskatchewan River. Suddenly my truck started to hydroplane and we were coming up to the bridge going over the river. Applying the brake caused the truck to swerve towards the ditch. Panic set in until I remembered to use the manual slide on the brake controller. Stopped in the campground on the far side of the bridge to change pants and underwear. I too was very young and reckless - sure learnt my lesson that day.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHooper View Post
Before I buy a dolly I'd like to hear if anyone is currently towing an RV + a vehicle? What have been your experiences?

I'm planning on towing a 2011 Cedar Creek and a Ford Escape behind my 2011.5 Ram 3500 CC 4X4 DRW Laramie Longhorn so that my wife and I can ride in the truck together. We currently caravan and she drives the car.

Even if you're not currently doing this but have in the past I'd welcome your thoughts and experiences.

Thanks!
That is NOT triple-towing, it would be doubles-towing. Otherwise, what do you call towing one trailer?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:35 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
That is NOT triple-towing, it would be doubles-towing. Otherwise, what do you call towing one trailer?
That is what I thought also, if towing one is towing a trailer, towing two must be double towing.
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:39 AM   #13

triple

I have towed a car behind our class A with a motorcycle trailer with motorcycle on the trailer behind the car many many times. Never had a problem but I was careful. Im sure I had to be 80' as the coach is 45. Had an awning cover blow off into another car (accident) and patrol never questioned the length. Even backed up with all 3 several times to get into camp spot. Just my two cents
FLYING BUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:47 AM   #14

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
You said "triple" towing, what is the third vehicle you want to tow?

Tags
towing