Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2015, 11:51 PM   #43

Took longer than I expected.

By the numbers, my wife's Explorer would pull that handily with payload to spare. How though ??? It's not a DUALLY!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2015, 12:16 AM   #44

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGene7001 View Post
For a 26 footer with 600 lb of dry hitch weight?
Dry unloaded hitch weights mean practically nothing, especially once the rig is driven off the lot.

I met a guy today that travels with part of an olympic weight lifting set (I guess that's what's it's called? Weights, bars, clamps, etc., he told me it's part of a set that is the same as used in the Olympic games) in the back of his pickup, all the way towards the back so he can get to it easy. He has about a 26ish foot long travel trailer. He's never weighed it, says "it pulls OK", has been doing this for about a year now according to him. Chevy 1500 truck.

How can anyone know if their vehicle cargo weight and/or tongue weight has put them over their GAWR or GVWR without weighing the rig as they travel, loaded with clothes, food, maybe some fresh water from home because that's the good stuff, and all the other accoutrements of travel trailer living?

They can't. Seat of the pants ain't safety, it's opinion.

I have no problem with towing with a half-ton pickup, if you know it's not overloaded. Some of those half-tons are really nice trucks, I have no problem with them being so popular, but I think there is a lot of ignorance involved with their use.

Same with half-ton designed SUVs. I've seen quite a few of them with their headlights pointed towards the heavens in my time in the CA high desert these past few weeks, almost always pulling very large toy haulers to go play in the desert for the weekend.

Old 12-13-2015, 01:20 AM   #45

I've read all the responses and it seems as tho your choice comes down to a 1/2 ton pickup with marginal capability or a 3/4 ton gas pickup with some extra tow/haul capacity for the money you want to spend. My opinion is to go for the 3/4 ton (Chevy/GMC, Ford or Dodge) for the handling and especially for the bigger brakes.

At the risk of going off-topic, I suggest you look at the Pull-Rite hitches for travel trailers. The hitch ball is attached to a long arm which rides in an arc under the tow vehicle. The effect is quite like towing the much more stable fifth wheels because the trailer cannot push the rear end of the truck one way or the other. No sway control devices are necessary.
EZDZIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 04:42 AM   #46

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldfusion View Post
Attachment 114017
And that's with the factory p rated tires. Should be alot more now with my LT tires.
Quote:
I don't know never weighed it. Like I said it tows good. I'm sure my truck is rated for
a 4700 lb tt even wet and loaded it wouldn't be over 6000. I run LT e rated tires also.
That's good your running E-rated tires, but, I hope you don't think that's the only thing in the GAWR equation that'll keep your setup from being overload/unsafe.

Quote:
Code:
I don't know
Code:
never weighed it.
Code:
I'm sure my truck is rated
Code:
loaded it wouldn't be over 6000.
Are you traveling solo? I'd want to be sure if the family was riding with.

Rich

r___r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 05:00 AM   #47

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by b105 View Post
Question: since this will be my daily driver as well, and I don't know how far I'd be driving per day (currently about 20-30 miles total per day) would a gas engine be appropriate or would a diesel be best?

I know diesels tow better, but I don't know about daily short range driving, esp. since diesel is currently more expensive than gas. Someone help a newbie out, please?
You didn't mention how much towing experience you have, but, if it's not much, long hauls every few months could be sketchy.

Just an idea...you could buy an economical car to replace your vehicle that is falling apart, then, when your ready to move to the next location where you'll be working, you could hire a transport company to move your trailer for you.

Example: https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/bfs/5344541665.html

Rich

r___r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 06:23 AM   #48

The motorcycle moving company that expanded to move RV's is a great short term solution. Not sure what they charge but what are those guys on TV that bid on jobs in that reality show?

Moving your trailer would be an easy move for them so the cost might be $1.50 - $2.00 a mile.

Something to at least think about. Good idea.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:33 AM   #49

Forgot to mention. The cost of the RV moving company is off set by owning a car that gets 30 mpg vs a truck that gets 15 - 18mpg as your daily driver.

So if the moving company wants $700 to move you 400 miles the net cost is not $700 as you save money driving a car plus it would cost you if you moved it yourself. The net cost is probably $250.

On a truck everything will cost more. License, fuel, tires, insurance, oil changes, etc.

Heck even now I am thinking if I even need a truck:what:
Old 12-13-2015, 12:35 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by b105 View Post
I doubt I'll upsize the TT anytime soon (actually the one I have is probably a bit big for just me and the dog). The original plan was for a 1/2 ton, but so many on this site seem to jump down the throat of anyone towing with those. I read so many comments about awful, white knuckle rides and 5 mph uphill straining engines that it worried me. The 3/4 ton is mostly for peace of mind. And just in case I ever DO decide to upsize.
Ok. Here is my experience from when I was shopping for a 3/4t and why.

I have had f150 super crew ecoboost. 2 actually. Smooth ride, most rear seat leg room of any standard crew cab I've been in, and the ecoboost was a pulling beast. 2 things that kept me from purchasing another for towing...
1) lack of payload
2) limited engine braking on down hills.
My my f150 were 2011 and 2012. Both had payload of just over 1500lbs. When I'm loaded up with my wife, dog and now 2 kids and car seats, tonneau cover, side steps, and gear for a weekend I've used up 700lbs of payload, leaving me with just 800 for trailer hitch weight.

So now I knew I needed at least a 3/4t if I ever wanted a decent sized enclosed car hauler or toy hauler. I looked at 3 used Ram 2500 cummins. Now you really have to be watch when you buy a used 3/4 ton, especially a diesel. Why is that? Who was the previous owner and how was it used. Around here there are basically 3 types of 2500 diesel owners...

Young oil hands/farm kids that drive them hard and put them away wet with very little care or maintenance. You can usually spot these by the lift kit and mud tires.

Then there is the ex ranch/farm truck. These usually have hard miles from a life on washboard gravel roads, being worked hard and often overloaded, and tons of hours on the motor from idling all the time. These you can tell by the truck being only a hand full of years old but the inside of the bed is scratched and dented like a 20 yr old truck and usually accompanied with several small dings and gouges in the body panels and dust in nooks and crannies that the detailers just cant get to.

Then you have the well maintained and used trucks usually owned by 40-60yr old gentlemen who used it to tow their camper or race cars. They are usually mostly stock, nice paint and body, and the bed only shows normal use. This is the kind I looked for.

Now the other problem that comes with a used diesel. Resale value. While this is great if you bought new, it sucKS if trying to buy used. The 2010 ram 2500 C.C. cummins bighorn 4x4 with 70,000 I looked long and hard at was priced at 38,495 and the dealer didn't want to deal at all. I ended up buying brand new 2015 Ram 2500 C.C. 6.4 hemi bighorn 4x4 for 40,495. Full 100k warranty. All the latest creature comforts.

I mulled over the F250, but wasn't real big on the dated design and they sag under load because Ford lengthened the springs for ride comfort. The 6.2 is strong, as is the 6.7 PS, but I wouldn't own a PS out of warranty because they have the HPP fuel pump that when it goes it destroys the rest of the fuel system. $$$.

Personally I didn't even consider the Chevy, but I do like the GMC looks a lil better. The 6.0 is showing it's age and the Duramax now uses the same fuel pump as the powerstroke so wouldn't buy one used.

The Ram doesn't have as big of a back seat area as my old F150, maybe I should have looked at a MegaCab. It rides much worse empty. It also sits way higher. I'm 6'3 and have to use side steps. It tows my TH fine, but I do miss the low end power of the ecoboost a bit.

Tags
advice