Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2013, 06:28 AM   #1

Truck bed cover

I have a 2013 Chevy 3500HD with a long bed, pulling a 39' 5th wheel and would like some ideas on a cover for the truck bed, whether it be a folding type or roll up

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2013, 08:16 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
I have a Retrax roll-up cover and am very happy with it. It gives the ability to close and lock it to any position, which allows me to close it to just ahead of the 5-th wheel hitch when towing. This keeps things in the front half of the bed out of site and out of the weather.

Ralph

Krkuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:44 PM   #3

Not sure if you were looking for cover while towing. I have 06 Ram 3500 DRW, use a Lund soft roll top. I put a locking tailgate handle on so it keeps prying eyes out along with the weather. Going on 3yrs now. Parked out TN the Texas sun all yr long. Holding up well. $300 w/free shipping from Amazon. Mine has to be closed or fully open/secured while moving. I am considering a folding version next time. The only problem with the folding top is that it takes up room in the bed when I have the bikes. The rolling version does not.
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:15 AM   #4

Friend of mine has an '11 3500 long bed and the Retrax cover--has worked well for him. Downside is the loss of some bed space by the canister. You would have to be careful with the pin box on tight turns, it might hit the slides on the Retrax. Not all boxes are the same, some have deeper sides, and that is where the contact might come from.
I have the same Retrax on my 450 and no problems from my pin box.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:02 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a Pace-Edwards as I don't stay in an area where I would see heavy snow (the Pace-Edwards seems to sag with wet heavy snow). When I lived in NJ, I had a Roll-N-Lock which was sturdy enough to not sag with wet heavy snow. anyway, after hooking up I can close the cover within a few inches of the hitch. Stuff under there stays relatively dry.

If I were to do it again, I might look into the tri-fold covers. My firend has one and they seem to work just as well, covers part of the bed when towing and is a fraction of the cost.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:10 PM   #6

I have the RetraxPro on my long bed F350. It's aluminum and can actually support some weight on it when closed. It can lock in any position so I can stow gear ahead of the hitch and keep it covered. It has sealed ball bearing and can be opened quickly with one hand. Closed, it really seems to help the gas mileage. I don't think you'll find better.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:25 PM   #7

I have the Retrax cover on my 2010 Ram. It lasted 3 years and then fell apart at the end. The end broke off from the cover and rolled up into the canister.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:12 PM   #8

I had a Retrax on our dually which was great until it fell apart after about 4 years. The cover on mine was made of plastic which split. I also didn't like that the cannister which it rolls into when open takes up space that can be used for firewood etc. I replaced it with a Fold-a-cover which I like better than the Retrax for a lot less $. My buddy has a Bakflip folding cover which seems to be made better than the Fold-a-cover.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:19 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
We have a pace Edwards jack rabbit. Its great for the truck when we are not hook up to the 5er. It made of narrow aluminum powder coated slats and in three years ... I haven't had any problem it.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:13 AM   #10

Take a look at the Peragon truck bed cover. Made of aluminum, looks really nice when closed and is very easy to remove to give you full access to your truck bed when needed. The panels also fold up to the front when your pulling your fiver. www.peragon.com
Old 11-03-2013, 08:20 AM   #11

I have a Peragon installed pm my 2013 Lariat F150 Eco Boost. It was simple to install looks great. You can get paint match also. I have white.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:38 PM   #12

I use the folding BAKFlip F1 cover on mine. When covering the bed, it is sturdy enough for me to walk on (I stand on it to clean some of the bodies off the front of the 5er, supports 500 lbs) and when folded up 2/3 of the way, it covers the bed from the between the cab and the hitch, allowing towing while keeping the front of the bed covered. It can fold up and lay at the head of bed or can be completely folded up against the back of the cab (comes with installed bumpers and braces to hold it there without damage) leaving the entire bed free.

BakFlip F1 Tonneau Cover | Bakflip.com - The Official Bak Site

I liked the rolling type covers, but, objected to the intrusion of the canister into the bed. I don't have an extended tank, but, I do carry a couple of 5 gallon jugs of diesel for an "emergency" and they fit nicely under the BAKFlip (depending on the extended fuel tank, it probably would also), but, wouldn't under a roll-up's canister. Now that I've used the BAKFlip for a couple of years, I'm glad I went that direction. Fits my needs, folds easily and with the locking tailgate, stuff back there stays secure when I unhook (the cover clears the B&W Companion easily) and it keeps the hitch clean when we are "out and about".

Don & Bronwyn + 1 Cat; J-Lo
2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX (AKA, "The Cat House")
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by webslave View Post
I use the folding BAKFlip F1 cover on mine. When covering the bed, it is sturdy enough for me to walk on (I stand on it to clean some of the bodies off the front of the 5er, supports 500 lbs) and when folded up 2/3 of the way, it covers the bed from the between the cab and the hitch, allowing towing while keeping the front of the bed covered. It can fold up and lay at the head of bed or can be completely folded up against the back of the cab (comes with installed bumpers and braces to hold it there without damage) leaving the entire bed free. BakFlip F1 Tonneau Cover | Bakflip.com - The Official Bak Site I liked the rolling type covers, but, objected to the intrusion of the canister into the bed. I don't have an extended tank, but, I do carry a couple of 5 gallon jugs of diesel for an "emergency" and they fit nicely under the BAKFlip (depending on the extended fuel tank, it probably would also), but, wouldn't under a roll-up's canister. Now that I've used the BAKFlip for a couple of years, I'm glad I went that direction. Fits my needs, folds easily and with the locking tailgate, stuff back there stays secure when I unhook (the cover clears the B&W Companion easily) and it keeps the hitch clean when we are "out and about".
I have a backflip on my F150, I just ordered a F250 with a 6 3/4 foot bed and I was wondering if it would work with a fiver.