Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2005, 04:07 AM   #1

I'm think about buying the tool box that sits in the rear of the bed and is shaped like a 5er tail gate.

Do you have one?... how easy is it to install?... what are your comments, both good & bad?

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2005, 04:07 AM   #2

I'm think about buying the tool box that sits in the rear of the bed and is shaped like a 5er tail gate.

Do you have one?... how easy is it to install?... what are your comments, both good & bad?

Thanks

Old 03-14-2005, 04:38 AM   #3

There is a company that makes a similar box, but it is the lower height all the way across. That seems like a better solution to me. Their reasoning is that you really don't use the top part on the ends anyway. Also, not having the knotch would allow hooking up at greater angles.

I personally don't like the idea of a rear tool box because I don't want to have to lift the hitch over it, and it also makes the bed useless for hauling large objects like lumber.
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 04:25 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
I have the 5th wheel companion box by Highway Products. It is the same height all the way across allowing greater approach angles when hitching up. No need to worry about lining up the kingpin with the notch in the box. One of the best built boxes I have ever used.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:41 AM   #5

Rick

Thanks for the input. You're the second person to indicate concern about the approach angles with the "V" type box.

With your box do you have any conerns about having additional weight behind the rear axles & hitch?

Regards
Old 03-15-2005, 05:02 PM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
With my box, I take the tailgate off. The box itself feels like it weighs less than the tailgate itself. As far as weight in the box, unless you fill it with concrete, I don't even think about it. Don't think you would be putting enough weight in there to make any noticable difference.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:11 PM   #7

I have a 1997 F250 h/d And a 5th wheel. For a tool box I use one from small truck like a toyota or something. They do not go over the rails so they are low enough to see the hitch and pin when hooking up. The lock are a bit harder to get to as well. Let them work for what they are going to steal.

Black 1997 F250 H/D 4X4
markclement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 08:06 AM   #8

ANY, repeat ANY truck will hit, long or short. It's just a matter of when. I use a SWB and have NO, repeat, NO slider. A tape measure put on the pin to the corner of the nose is the ONLY way to know when it will hit. I've seen more long than short bed cabs crunched. The thinking of most is get the long and it won't hit, and they are surprised when it does.

It all depends on where your going to take it and how tight of a spot your backing into.