Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2015, 07:28 AM   #1

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Truck Bodies

We are seriously looking into the switch from a Class A to a fifth wheel. We will be full timing for a while and the thought of getting rid of all my tools, so i'm thinking of getting a truck with a utility body the truck make doesn't matter, i will tset drive the big 3 and see what i like. I think i will get the truck without a body and add a utility body after market. What I'm looking for is some kind of utility body that would suit a fifth wheel. Any pictures or ideas out there? Maybe adding racks to hold a canoe? By the way just got back from out west with beautiful weather and snowing here in the northeast! Thought we missed it!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2015, 09:08 AM   #2

Here are some companies that makes the hauling bed that you are thing about. But they are usually installed on the larger pick-up trucks like 1 ton and larger. Such as the Ford F450 and the Ram C&C model of truck 3500,4500 and 5500.

Herrin Truck Beds - RV Truck Beds - Western Truck Beds - Hauler-Beds - Flatbeds - Welding Beds - Oilfield Beds & Towing Beds

WESTERN HAULER BEDS

Truck Beds - Custom 5th Wheel

Hope these help?

Jim W.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:22 PM   #3

Not sure just how many tools you have but this company makes an assortmant of toolboxes that fit in the bed of a stock truck bed to specifically fit around a fifth wheel setup.

5th WHEELERS NEED STORAGE. TAKE A LOOK AT THESE TRUCK TOOL BOXES.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:23 AM   #4

Wow nice trucks, that is what I'm looking for, how much less is a say dodge 3500 with just cab and chassis vs. the truck with a pick up body
Old 04-25-2015, 06:55 AM   #5

C&C trucks are cheaper, but not sure how much. The upside to them, is they have a higher GVWR usually, but usually a lower HP/TQ rating to compensate for the higher GVWR and usually higher axle ratio.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:36 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Google "Low profile truck service bodies" and there are countless variations.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
C&C trucks are cheaper, but not sure how much. The upside to them, is they have a higher GVWR usually, but usually a lower HP/TQ rating to compensate for the higher GVWR and usually higher axle ratio.
I agree but the C&C trucks will still get you there just maybe a little slower say 60 to 65 MPH instead the 80MPH that some want to drive.

At the 2013 Turbo Diesel Register rally in Columbus IN., I was parked next to two of the C&C trucks with the western hauler style beds on them in the camp ground. They seem to keep up speed wise just find with the rest of us with pick-up trucks as we made our way to the Cummins engine plant tour that day.

Jim W.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
I agree but the C&C trucks will still get you there just maybe a little slower say 60 to 65 MPH instead the 80MPH that some want to drive.

At the 2013 Turbo Diesel Register rally in Columbus IN., I was parked next to two of the C&C trucks with the western hauler style beds on them in the camp ground. They seem to keep up speed wise just find with the rest of us with pick-up trucks as we made our way to the Cummins engine plant tour that day.

Jim W.
Personally, I'm all for not going 80MPH, but if I do want to do 70-75MPH w/no trailer on the highway, it's kind of annoying when the engine sounds like it wants to take off.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:12 AM   #9

My 3500 drw with 4.10's runs 2,000 rpms at 70 mph. It doesn't sound like it's taking off. Now at 3,000 rpms, yes.
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer3025 View Post
My 3500 drw with 4.10's runs 2,000 rpms at 70 mph. It doesn't sound like it's taking off. Now at 3,000 rpms, yes.
That's not bad. I'm used to older transmissions, with only four gears. At 70MPH w/4.10s, I'm at 2400.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:33 AM   #11

Yeah I can see your point.
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 08:57 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mant View Post
I think i will get the truck without a body and add a utility body after market. What I'm looking for is some kind of utility body that would suit a fifth wheel. Any pictures or ideas out there?
Knapheid mades exactly what you're looking for. It's called the Knapheid Westerner Storage Body, which is a low-profile utility bed designed for towing a 5er or goose.

Knapheid makes the Westerner Storage body for either a pickup with the bed removed (56' Cab-to-Axle or CA) or a chassis cab with 60" or 84" CA. 60" CA has close to the overall length of a pickup with an 8' bed. 84" CA is a chassis cab truck with 2' longer wheelbase than a long-bed pickup.

http://www.knapheide.com/media/uploa...literature.pdf

Note that the top of the bed is about the same height as the door handles on the truck, so no problem with clearance of the 5er or gooseneck overhang.

Westerner Storage Bodies Specifications | Knapheide

If you order a new truck, order a chassis cab with 60" or 84" CA and have it shipped through an upfitter to add the Westerner Storage Body. I'm sure any Ford dealer can do that for you, and probably other brands too. A ship-thru upfitter means when your new truck is intransit between the assembly plant and your Ford dealer, Ford can detour your ordered truck through the upfitter. The upfitter will add your truck body (and any other aftermarket options the upfitter offers that you're willing to pay for), then ship the completed truck to your dealer - all at no extra shipping cost to you.

Here is a link to an old post for new Ford upfitters. It's probably still good, especially for the Knapheid upfitters:

Beds and Tow Bodies for Chassis Cab Trucks - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 10:57 AM   #13

To me it's the end of it's usefulness when a body is installed.
Most trucks are bought with the box and the box is removed and sold.
I just add 2 utility boxes one standard and a lowered one at the tailgate. Plus a fuel tank in front of the front one.
When I need my truck box I just remove the rear box and the hitch. For the time I use my truck the box is empty and I reinstall everything in the fall when truck becomes a tow machine again.
With all the tank and boxes in I can carry all my work tools in the rear box and our Kayaking equipment and more in the front one. All my blocking is in a Roughneck container in front of my hitch and other heavy stuff in rear of hitch. Never travel light, the truck box is full of stuff.
BTW. I just did a complete rear wall rebuild on our trailer this winter and changed the transmission in our Toyota last week. Used my stored tools for both jobs.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:41 AM   #14

SmokeyWren is correct, you need a low profile utility bed in order for the pin box to clear the top of the bed. Otherwise, since the inside width of the utility box is only around 50 inches vs. over 60+ inches with a stock bed, the back of the pin box will hit the bed sides.

If you don't get a low profile utility bed, the only options are to use a straight drop pin box or the Reese Revolution pin box. The straight drop will work with longer cab to axle frames, the Revolution will work even with a 6-1/2 ft bed.

My setup is an RKI 6-1/2 ft utility bed, custom built since there aren't many choices when it comes to 40 inch C-A frames. I've had my utility bed for 12 yrs now, on it's 2nd truck. Anyway, top of the truck bed is about 50 inches and I have 10 inches clearance between it and the underside of the fiver.

You also need to be aware that if you don't get a low profile bed, some fifth wheel hitches may not have sufficient clearance with the narrower body interior for the hitch release handle to operate.

dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote