Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2015, 08:24 AM   #15

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
oldeguy,
powderman is correct, if you meet your home state(vehicle registration and driver's license state) requirements, then you are legal in all states. The exception to this is tandem towing, that would be towing your 5th wheel with a trailer on behind it. That you would have to follow each state's rules.
My truck has a 11,400# GVWR and 5er has a 16,300# GVWR and I have not been stopped in any state. I am plated in Ohio as non commercial. I have had my unit for 6 years and over 20,000 miles and have traveled the midwest and eastern US.
So you have no worries and enjoy your setup.
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2015, 05:02 PM   #16

Agree with Scottybdiviv. After much research I concluded I did need the class A endorsement. When I checked in for my driving test the examiner at first told me that I didn't need to take the test. 😠 After she had discussions with several supervisors it was determined that I needed to take the driving test.😊. I was prepared so it was a breeze including the parallel parking.

Also, I have been getting my safety inspection for several years and just renewed my registration under the new Texas System. I renewed on line and they had my current inspection in the system. Easy to interpret...it isn't. No problem unless a State Trooper chooses to enforce. My understanding is some Troopers in the Houston area are in the enforcement mode.

Just another item to consider... in Texas is that on a dually, mud flaps must be installed on the rear and must be no more than 8" from the ground. That is a recent requirement. It used to be higher. 😡

2013 Excel 34IKE
2015 Sonoma Red GMC Sierra Denali 3500 HD Dually

Old 06-24-2015, 06:46 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Texas is awful about these non-CDL licenses. Literally, between my wife and I, we've taken 5 different written tests. And I've probably "escalated" the issue more than 4 times. What tests you take depend on who you're asking and which way the wind is blowing.... I'm still trying to get something from DPS in writing so I can provide it to my fellow IRV2 friends that are going to face the same massive waste-of-time...

I take a driving test tomorrow.. I'm expecting that to be mostly a non-issue. If they give me an endorsement w/o the test, I'll certainly take it.

Note, Texas inspection - DPS currently makes you provide proof of inspection, despite that inspection being required for current registration. So if you go in to take a driving test, you'll need a record of your inspection on truck AND trailer.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:42 AM   #18

Damon Owners Club
good info and helpful for me understanding all this RV'ing stuff. thank you all.

I do have to get a one time EPA inspection, which will give me the E-check paperwork to get a Ohio plate for my truck. This will happen today at one of the state operated station with an inspector from EPA office that is 1 hour away. From my conversation with the inspector, this is just a visual inspection.

I do have mud flaps...have to measure the distance from the ground. Is that loaded or unloaded heights? my quess would be at the time they measure.

I will post my EPA inspection results.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:04 AM   #19

Never thought about the rear flaps being measured loaded or unloaded. Mine meet the requirements unloaded. Remember I am in Texas Ohio may not have the same requirement as Texas.

I did read a report that a Texas State Trooper stopped an individual and gave him a warning that his flaps were flapping as he was driving and exceeded the 8". He didn't have the anti-sail. All I can say is that Trooper must have had a bad day. 😄

2013 Excel 34IKE
2015 Sonoma Red GMC Sierra Denali 3500 HD Dually
Old 06-25-2015, 02:55 PM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Just returned from my EPA inspection. He looked at the truck, checked the VIN...title verses the truck, went into a office, then returned with E check permanent exemption slip. Then went the license bureau for my plates. Hade to sign a waver for non commercial use... $80 dollars later I got plates!

conclusion...no CDL

no commercial plates!

thanks to all!
Old 06-25-2015, 08:38 PM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Just returned from my EPA inspection. He looked at the truck, checked the VIN...title verses the truck, went into a office, then returned with E check permanent exemption slip. Then went the license bureau for my plates. Hade to sign a waver for non commercial use... $80 dollars later I got plates!

conclusion...no CDL

no commercial plates!

thanks to all!
Old 06-26-2015, 12:04 AM   #22
Commercial Member

Our Drill-less Installation DuraFlap mud flaps for the duallys are made to be just 7" off the ground on stock trucks. If needed, we can make them a custom length for those with lifts and oversized wheels or tires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new body chevy dually email size.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	771.4 KB
ID:	98380  
Old 06-26-2015, 07:15 AM   #23

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
oldeguy,
Glad that everything worked out for you and you didn't have any hassle, the way it is supposed to work. Now it is time to get out there and enjoy your RV.
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote