Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2015, 07:17 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Truck/CDL question...10,001# TV gvw in Ohio

Am a newbee and I jumped into a 03 RAM 3500 5.9 DRW TV (11,500# GVW) and a 5th wheel (Jayco Designer @ 15,800# GVW) . It seems that since the truck (TV) is over the 10,000 pound rating it: 1. it's needs to be inspected by the EPA for Echeck testing/approval? 2. It's going to be a commercial licence plate?...IE, lots more money 3. Heard that truck insurance may be more because your a commercial vehicle? 4. it also seems that I need a CDL A class because of being over 26,001 pounds in combined GVW? This is based on page 16 of the Ohio truckbook. pdf found on the internet. Am I looking at this correctly? or is it because I'm a newbee I'm confused? Man, I thought this was going to be EZ!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2015, 08:10 AM   #2

You should not be over 26,001 pounds GCVW. You need to get the rig weighed to be sure but I bet you will be fine.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:17 AM   #3

If your are using your rig for commercial purposes you will need a CDL if 26,001 lbs. IF not you should be fine unless your state requires some type of RV endorsement. Weight is determined by the manufacturer's tag on the vehicle, not the actual weight.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:36 AM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
You should have about 20% of the trailer weight on the hitch. That's about 3160# subtracted from the GVW of the trailer if its loaded to max. Trailer weight is reduced that much and placed on the truck. If everything is maxed out you should not weigh more than 24140. Make sure you don't overload the rear axle of the truck. (you shouldn't with your truck) Hope this makes sense.

You should have everything weighed loaded as you would on the road. Truck front & rear axle weights (Rear with & without trailer weight.) and trailer only. With these 4 weights you can calculate your tongue weight which should be 20 to 25 % total trailer weight.

Not sure on Ohio rules for licensing above 10K. Most states that's only for commercial vehicles. I know I have some work trucks over 10K and only have to have the DOT health card but no CDL because I'm under 26K. Again I don't know Ohio requirements. But bottom line is you will not weigh over 26K if you are not overloaded.
2017 Chevrolet 2500HD
mhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:05 AM   #5

In Texas, the rules are about the same as you stated for Ohio. However, the weights and totals that required me to get a class A endorsement was the combination of the stated truck weight (on the door jam) and the stated trailer weight as listed on the sticker as the maximum weight. The actual weight of the truck and trailer had nothing to do with the requirement.

As a result, I tested for my class A endorsement only not a full CDL. A lot has been discussed about the license requirement but the final interpretation was that I did need it.

2013 Excel 34IKE
2015 Sonoma Red GMC Sierra Denali 3500 HD Dually
Old 06-23-2015, 10:48 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
oldeguy,
I am from Ohio and you only need a regular drivers license for an RV, also as long as you are NOT using the truck for commercial use, you can get a non- commercial plate for your truck, it runs $86 plus any county and BMV addons. Also Echeck is not needed on above 10,000# GVW diesel vehicles, in fact I think it is any vehicle with a GVWR above 10,000# doesn't need an E-check, your BMV should be able to guide you.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 12:44 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhawk9SP View Post
In Texas, the rules are about the same as you stated for Ohio. However, the weights and totals that required me to get a class A endorsement was the combination of the stated truck weight (on the door jam) and the stated trailer weight as listed on the sticker as the maximum weight. The actual weight of the truck and trailer had nothing to do with the requirement.
Let me 2nd Skyhawk: The Ohio law is identical to Texas:
"any combination of vehicles with a combined gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, if the gross vehicle weight rating of the vehicle or vehicles being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds."

Actual weight does not matter. It's simply the listed GVWR. And you're over. You need a Class-A.

In Texas, it's non-CDL Class-A, dunno about Ohio.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:15 PM   #8

First I live in Ohio. You do not need a special license or a CDL to pull a trailer. The truck and trailer you have is fine and you don't have to have commercial plates for the truck. For all the info you need on licensing and allowable weights, go to http://changingears.com/rv-sec-state...tml:whistling:

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 05:23 PM   #9

I messed up the link. Try this RV Driver's License Requirements

Old 06-23-2015, 09:28 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Powderman, I agree that your link says that you don't have to do anything in Ohio. I think I've found the basis.. Which agrees that no special license is required:

Here's the link from the Ohio BMV:

However, there is an exclusion:
CDL Exemptions

The law exempts these categories from the CDL:
  • Recreational Vehicle [ - ]
    • "Recreational vehicle" includes every vehicle that is defined as a recreational vehicle in Ohio Revised Code, Section 4501.01, and is used exclusively for purposes other than engaging in business or profit
Old 06-24-2015, 06:14 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
Powderman, I agree that your link says that you don't have to do anything in Ohio. I think I've found the basis.. Which agrees that no special license is required:

Here's the link from the Ohio BMV:

However, there is an exclusion:
CDL Exemptions

The law exempts these categories from the CDL:
  • Recreational Vehicle [ - ]
    • "Recreational vehicle" includes every vehicle that is defined as a recreational vehicle in Ohio Revised Code, Section 4501.01, and is used exclusively for purposes other than engaging in business or profit
cb1000rider....thank you! You nailed it! the expemption!
Old 06-24-2015, 06:25 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by powderman View Post
I messed up the link. Try this RV Driver's License Requirements
Powderman...nice link...Now another question. In the link it states a few states require a non-commercial endoresment if over 26,000 pounds sticker GVW, being an Ohio plated vehilce driving through that state am I legal?
Old 06-24-2015, 07:39 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
I love where they state "We confirmed by phone" on some states. In Texas, you could call 5 different DMV's and get 5 different answers.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:42 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeguy View Post
Powderman...nice link...Now another question. In the link it states a few states require a non-commercial endoresment if over 26,000 pounds sticker GVW, being an Ohio plated vehilce driving through that state am I legal?

The way I understand it is that if your legal where its plated, then your legal everywhere. And that makes sense as there is such a wide variation of what is legal from one state to the next that it would be impossible for someone to cross the country without violating someone's rules.