Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2014, 02:18 PM   #15

The Feds standardized the commercial laws among all the states in 1992 to get everybody on the same page. The states can tweak a few things on their own, but they can't over ride the federal rules. The Feds set the 26K line. The 26K line denotes a need for an elevated license of some sort. People get too caught up in the concept that 26,001 automatically means Comercial, not true at all. There are class A, B and C CDL's just as there are class C, B and A NON CDL. The only classification of licesne I can think of that can't be had as either commerical or non comercial is if you only had an M (Motorcycle) All the rest go both ways and then you add endorsements or restrictions from there to fit your situation

One of these days someone needs to make up a simple flow chart that leads one to the right answer on what license they need for what vehicle.

For the most part RV'ers need not worry, they're very very rarely messed with anyway. The last one I know of, got chased down by the License and Weight folks in his unmarked heavy truck conversion pulling a big unmarked tri-axle cargo trailer with his car inside. He was aked why he ran the way station. He said "Because I'm not a truck". The trooper asked why he didn't think he was a truck. He told him to look at his (RV) license plates. The trooper looked, said "ok". He asked the trooper what he thought. The trooper said, "Well, it looks like a truck, it sounds like a truck, it even smells like a truck...., but its not a truck". He asked what the trooper intended to do then and was told he was going to get back in his car, put his overheards on, clear the right hand lane for him to re-enter traffic easily and wish him a good day".
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2014, 09:10 AM   #16

This is my reply from DPS

Thank you for giving the Department of Public Safety the opportunity to respond to your inquiry.

Exempt commercial licenses are an option for individuals who are wishing to drive a commercial-class vehicle, with a GVWRover 26,001 LBS or towed unit over 10,000 LBS, for personal use or exempt purposes.

You will have to take the special requirements test (section 14) with a driving test in the vehicle you will be driving. After passing the written exam and driving test, you will receive a temporary Class A permit, and the actual license by mail in two to three weeks.
TommySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:16 AM   #17

I received the answer on Friday from DPS.

Thank you for giving the Department of Public Safety the opportunity to respond to your inquiry.

Exempt commercial licenses are an option for individuals who are wishing to drive a commercial-class vehicle, with a GVWRover 26,001 LBS or towed unit over 10,000 LBS, for personal use or exempt purposes.

You will have to take the special requirements test (section 14) with a driving test in the vehicle you will be driving. After passing the written exam and driving test, you will receive a temporary Class A permit, and the actual license by mail in two to three weeks.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:06 AM   #18

This doesn't apply specifically to TX but I know almost all states use the Gross Vehicle Weights GVW as indicated on the truck and fifth wheel.

I took my road test today in New York for my R endorsement. My fifth wheel GVWE is 15500 Lbs and my dually is around 13000 Lbs. Combos over 26000 Lbs need an endorsement in NY.
When I got to the road test site in Malone NY the DMV tester came up to me and said "I don't think you need and R, you need an A-O for this rig" I had a dually with a 40' Alpine fifth wheel. I told her according to NY motor vehicle regulation a personal use vehicle is exempt CDL. She said she had placed a call to Albany to clarify. She told me in her years she has never given a road test to someone pulling a fifth wheel only motorhomes. Around 10 minutes later, she came over and said lets go, they decided you need an R endorsement. She was actually very nice during the entire process.
We went for a tour of the town, down a side street where she had me parallel park, then back the rig up along the curb for approximately 50-100 feet. We then went into the busier section of town and drove through some traffic and ended back where we started.
She proceeded to write me a 10 day temporary license and I guess I now go to DMV to get a new one.
I think the whole process will cost around $25 and I think it is probably a good thing the state does it. The problem is most people towing these rigs don't know they need anything other than their regular D license.
kimbashaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:57 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Isn't the 26,000lb limit a federal limit that applies to all states? Every state uses 26,000 lbs as the cutoff point.
Is it just for commercial trucks only?
Yes. The feds standardized all the commercial rules in 1992 so that all the states would be working on the same page. 0ver under 26k became the dividing line for needing an elevated license.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:09 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
I don't think he needs any other type than a C in TX when under 26001lbs. Don't sweat it--the 10000lb limit doesn't apply to recreational trailers. His gross ratings are under 26001, nothing else is needed besides common sense. In a conversation with a TX DOT officer, he told me I needed the A non-commercial since I gross at 27400, but it isn't something I am worried about.
Ok--has anyone in TX towing a fiver been stopped and had the GVWR on the truck and trailer checked? Or anywhere?
Joe

I have actually been stopped and had it checked. My Truck Conversion had a GVWR of 56k and my trailer had a GVWR of 9990 lbs. I knew that I needed an upgraded license. I played dumb, as if I didn't know. He said that he wasn't gonna red tag me because he knew at I wasn't commercial.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:15 PM   #21

Well bless your heart.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:54 AM   #22

Texas DOT 26001lbs

I got a reply back from DOT and they said Class A NC for Total GVWR 26001. Towing 10K.

Its the law in Texas.

Tom
Old 11-17-2014, 08:10 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommySnake View Post
I got a reply back from DOT and they said Class A NC for Total GVWR 26001. Towing 10K.

Its the law in Texas.

Tom
Perzactly what I said a page back...
Old 11-17-2014, 10:36 AM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Isn't the 26,000lb limit a federal limit that applies to all states? Every state uses 26,000 lbs as the cutoff point.
Is it just for commercial trucks only?
In some states only a standard operator lic is required for ANY RV and whatever is tows,....as long as it it ONLY used for Non commercial purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg-limo View Post
I have actually been stopped and had it checked. My Truck Conversion had a GVWR of 56k and my trailer had a GVWR of 9990 lbs. I knew that I needed an upgraded license. I played dumb, as if I didn't know. He said that he wasn't gonna red tag me because he knew at I wasn't commercial.
If your Truck conversion was titled as a RV and you were legal in your HOME state he Can't red tag it,... legally.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 07:37 PM   #25

I'm still not sure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.C.Gray View Post
Perzactly what I said a page back...
I may well be all wrong here, but it is my understanding that there are actually TWO different types of Texas licenses here. I had to get a non-CDL class B license because my motorhome's GVWR exceeds 26k pounds. I believe that if your trailer's GVWR exceeds 10k pounds, a non-CDL Class A license is called for - regardless of the combined weight of tow vehicle and trailer.
GiddyupgoTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:57 AM   #26

Class C good up to 26,000 lb gross single or combination vehicle. 26,001 lbs gross and beyond you have to have an elevated license. The 10,000 lb towed load threshold only comes into play in differentiating an A from a B.

If the two types you're referring to is CDL vs Non CDL, then yes there are two types. Actually saying Non CDL with A & B is redundant as A and B can stand alone without having to be Commercial just as you can also get a Commercial C as well.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:11 AM   #27

Get a Commercial License and your covered in every state.......
Old 11-21-2014, 07:20 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
Get a Commercial License and your covered in every state.......
Then you are required to abide by all of the regulations that come with that Commercial license.
Just get the proper license required by your state of residence and you are covered in every state.
srx-6 is offline   Reply With Quote