Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2011, 10:31 PM   #1

truck stop fuel up question

Can a regular truck can fuel up using the eighteen wheeler pump. My question is does the pump will fit in a regular truck.

Thanks for any feedback.

H308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2011, 10:36 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I belive it will. only one way to find out for sure. try it.

(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:52 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by H308 View Post
Can a regular truck can fuel up using the eighteen wheeler pump. My question is does the pump will fit in a regular truck.

Thanks for any feedback.
Yes, but the fuel pumps at the truck pump stations flow fuel at a much faster rate, so you really need to mke sure your tank fill opening will accept that rate of flow.

Sammie
Sammie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:55 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
IN addition to what Sammie said.... The filler nozzle on the truck pumps is MUCH larger in the 18 wheeler lane.... If you have the standard hole in your fuel filler neck then you will not be able to insert the nozzle.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:10 AM   #5

I always use the truck lanes to fill my F350 diesel when pulling my camper. As said the flow is faster....... pumps 20 gallons in no time. Never had a problem of any sort.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by H308 View Post

Thanks for any feedback.
That's the reason I bought a Dodge pick-up truck. I know for sure the Dodge would fuel up at the truck islands with the semi's.
When I was looking for a pick-up truck to pull my 5er, I would check the truck stops on the interstates. Most of the pick-up's filling up at truck islands were DODGES.
Now when you start fill up at the fuel islands at truck stops most require you to prepay before you fill up. Send your wife in with a dollar amount that you think will allow use to fill-up with. I usually use $110.00 to insure I can fill-up. When you are completed with the fill-up, pull forward to allow another truck to start filling up. When your wife walks out and you need to eat and use the rest rooms. Than park the trailer and RV away from the fuel islands, thus allowing the vehicle behind you to pull forward also. Do not block the fuel islands, as the tuckers do not get paid unless they are on the road driving.
Good Luck.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:55 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Both of my Dodges (2002 and 2011) with the Cummins diesels WERE able to accept the big rig nozzles with no problem. Be careful, though - the 2nd generation Dodges (1994 up to 2002) were susceptable to fuel gauge sending unit damage if the big rig nozzles were opened up to their full fueling rate.

I would only add that, if you use the truck lanes, PLEASE follow the trucker's etiquette when fueling up. Get fueled and pull forward to clear the pump for the next user before going into the fuel desk to pay for your purchase. Bear in mind that we're playing in the 18 wheelers' sandbox, and they're trying to make a living - time is critical to them. We need to stay out of their way as much as possible.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:59 AM   #8

Many thanks for all the replies, and now I know that my Dodge can use the semi pumps...Thanks.

This coming weekend, I will start my long drive/journey from Washington state to Oklahoma towing my raptor (aka house on wheels). Bye! bye! rain hello tornado's.

H308 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel