Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2013, 07:29 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
The 4 wheel drive option must be regional. All the HD trucks in the north are 4 wheel drive. I will pay attention and try to notice if I see any 2 wheel drive HD trucks at all.

I know they exist but 2 wheel drive in a HD truck is very very rare.
It's a matter of climate. You'll see FAR more 4WD vehicles of all types in Ohio than Texas, for example. (I lived in central Ohio for 22 years.) I understand why they are needed for Ohio winters, but I don't tow in ice and snow, and since moving back to Texas, I haven't owned a single 4WD vehicle of any type, nor have I needed one for towing or for daily use.

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2013, 07:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
If you need 4x4 because of the climate conditions or off-road terrain, fine, but it is NOT necessary to tow a 5th wheel - how many Class 8 tractors do you see on the highway with powered steer axles?

Rusty
Actually, there are quite a few over in the upper left corner of your map. They do look kind of weird coming at you with that big front differential. They are also quite common in the oilfield, and I see a lot of them in Canada and Alaska.

I agree that 4wd is optional based on actual expected driving conditions, but a locking or anti-spin differential is mandatory for towing.

The OP asked what we drive and why. That question is legitimate and can be answered without violating site rules by simply answering the question about your choice and avoiding any nasty comments on what you did not choose.

There have been so many changes and improvements to all the tow vehicles over the past few years, and they are now all impressive and fit for purpose machines. It has about gotten to the point of deciding based on personal comfort and ergonomics, plus your relationship with the local dealer.
Terry

Old 12-08-2013, 08:03 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Jay View Post
The OP asked what we drive and why. That question is legitimate and can be answered without violating site rules by simply answering the question about your choice and avoiding any nasty comments on what you did not choose.
I believe this comment is misdirected. I didn't say one couldn't state what he/she drives and why. In fact, I did so myself.

I would highly recommend a limited slip (LS) differential on a 2WD truck for towing, but it isn't mandatory. I towed for 6 years with a 2WD Dodge Ram 3500 dually (V-10 & 47RE automatic) that had an open differential. Not what I preferred, but what was on a dealer's lot (in Ohio, by the way) when I needed a truck in a hurry. That is one reason I've ordered all my trucks since 2001.

Rusty
Old 12-09-2013, 04:18 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefly1 View Post
I went with the Ram 3500 6.7 diesel 4x4 for a lot of reasons. I wanted longevity which this engine/transmission combination provides with a proven track record.
Never heard that said about a Dodge transmission before, lol! Dodge has come a long way in the last few years. I looked at and wouldn't have even considered a 2010 ram. I do like the 13 rams though, they have much better fit and finish than the 10s and have incorporated more technology in the interiors. Didn't like the Chevys, the Duramax is a great motor but the interiors are lacking with poor fit and finish and the square fenders are ugly IMO. They have really went downhill in quality since 2008. My decision was between the Ram and the f350 Platinum 6.7. Ultimately I went with the Platinum because I heard nothing but great things about the powerstroke and heard that Dodge was having lots of problems with their emissions system. The interior on the Platinum was also a bit nicer and I absolutely love it! Only thing I don't like is the 26 gal fuel tank on the 6.5 bed, the 8ft ones have a 36 or something bigger. I will be replacing it soon with a 50 gal titan replacement tank and removing the emissions system and adding a tuner. Haven't towed much yet, just got it in August, 3000 miles so far. gets 18-19mpg at 68mph flat land no wind.
, got 23-24 at 55mph! My campers pretty light, only around 9000 pounds so I'm hoping I get much better than 10mpg towing it like people here are saying is their average towing mpgs. My f150 got 13mpg pulling it at 68mph, 2100 rpms. If you don't care too much about the exterior looks or the nicest interior with the best technology any of the three are very capable machines and should serve you well. Personally I would never buy a truck that wasn't 4x4, especially for towing, unless perhaps you never drive in snow and never leave the highway. i've seen 2wd trucks not pulling anything get stuck in wet grass, lol!
Old 12-09-2013, 04:45 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SultanGris View Post
Ultimately I went with the Platinum because I heard nothing but great things about the powerstroke and heard that Dodge was having lots of problems with their emissions system.
And where did you hear this? Perhaps from the Ford salesman?

Dodge has used basically the same non-DEF emissions system on the pickups from 2007-2012, and used DEF on the C&C trucks from 2007 to present. The pickups switched to the DEF system in 2013 drawing from the C&C experience. The late 3rd generation or 4th generation trucks have not had "lots of problems" with their emissions systems - my 2011, for instance, has had none whatsoever.

The Cummins-powered Ram pickups went to the 68RFE 6-speed automatic (drawn from a Mercedes truck design when Daimler owned Chrysler) with the introduction of the 6.7L Cummins B-series engine on January 1, 2007 while the C&C trucks used the Aisin 6-speed automatic that provided a PTO. The 2013/2014 pickups offer a choice of transmissions - the 68RFE with the 350/800 Cummins and the Aisin with the 385/850 Cummins. Both have been very reliable in towing service - much more so than the 47/48RE 4-speed automatics used prior to January 1, 2007.

Rusty
Old 12-09-2013, 04:53 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post

And where did you hear this? Perhaps from the Ford salesman?

Dodge has used basically the same non-DEF emissions system on the pickups from 2007-2012, and used DEF on the C&C trucks from 2007 to present. The pickups switched to the DEF system in 2013 drawing from the C&C experience. None of the 4th generation trucks have had "lots of problems" with their emissions systems.

The Cummins-powered Ram pickups went to the new 68RFE 6-speed automatic (drawn from a Mercedes truck design when Daimler owned Chrysler) in 2007 while the C&C trucks used the Aisin 6-speed automatic that provided a PTO. The 2013/2014 pickups offer a choice of transmissions - the 68RFE with the 350/800 Cummins and the Aisin with the 385/850 Cummins. Both have been very reliable in towing service - much more so than the 47/48RE 4-speed automatics used prior to January 1, 2007.

Rusty
Internet forums, lots of owners complaining about problems with the emissions system.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:59 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
I have been a member of the oldest Ram/Cummins forum - Turbodiesel Register - since 2000 and don't see "lots of owners" complaining about emissions system problems. These types of unsubstantiated statements are specifically what iRV2's Community Rules prohibiting brand wars are addressing.

Rusty
Old 12-09-2013, 05:04 AM   #22

Google Dodge 6.7 emissions problems and you will find many posts on every Dodge forum about it, not trying to start a war, just telling you what I read. The Cummins is a great motor, delete the emissions like lots of people do and then you don't have to worry about it.

There's a class action lawsuit filed against them about it so clearly its a legitimate problem.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:13 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Google 6.0L, 6.4L and 6.7L Powerstroke problems and tell me what you find. The early 6.7 Cummins (2007 and early 2008) had a number of emissions-related reflashes that would still show up on the Google search you mentioned but, as I stated, that's water under the bridge and not representative of the later 3rd generation and 4th generation trucks. You might want to take a look at our Community Rules regarding brand wars before continuing this exchange.

Rusty
Old 12-09-2013, 05:45 AM   #24

Like I said, all three are more than capable and I have no interest in starting a war. Certainly all manufacturers have their problem years and even lemons in the good years from time to time but you won't find as much under 6.7 powerstroke problems which along with the other previously mentioned reasons is why I picked it. Agree or disagree it doesn't matter to me, the information is only a Google search away, do your own research and get whatever you like best.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:54 AM   #25

You can search for any motor problem. "X.XL problems" will make you think that motor was the biggest POS. All you hear are bad things because that's who makes the loudest noise.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:24 AM   #26

A 1978 ford 350 dually crewcab with a 460 v8 and c6 trans. 5mpg but will tow anything sideways up hill. Best part is any shade tree mechanic can fix it and it won't cost an arm and a leg. Spend your money on fuel or on repairs is the choice to be made.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:28 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
What are the GCWR, GVWR and GAWR ratings on a 1978 Ford 350 dually crewcab with a 460 and C6? My experience is that older duallies (or, for that matter, SRW) 1-ton trucks of all brands were very limited in these ratings and, therefore, would be operating over one or more of these ratings with just about any modern 32' or longer 5th wheel.

Rusty
Old 12-09-2013, 08:36 AM   #28

From December 2013 Consumer Reports:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trucks.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	51658